Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #1

Looking at the black full body paint and wondering if the 2 AC's can keep it cool. For those with the black paint, any problems with temperature in the summer months? Any problems with the black paint itself, swirls from factory, blemishes, saw where one was seeing spider cracks. Not trying to pick apart Redwoods, just wanting to make sure before I make my decision.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #2

My Redwood is a full paint. I'm a painter (cars). I have no issues with the paint on mine what so ever. whom ever painted it did a good job. I'm sure more than one painter at time paint's them. The A/C keeps it cool. I'm in Texas so it get's hot here. I haven't seen any cracking or crazing on mine. I believe there painted with Sikkens paint as the touch-up bottles have Sikkens on them. Sikkens is a very good paint. My F-250 I painted 7-8 years ago with no issue's. A few on here have seen my truck and tell you it's pristine to be 14 years old. Oh if you see "swirls" it's not from painting it,it's from polishing/buffing it. I've polished some of mine and have no swirls. That's a long drawn out subject. It boils down to who's doing it

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #3

Any decision? If you've ever bad a black vehicle you
must know how difficult they are to keep clean. Now imagine multiplying that surface area by several factors. I wouldn't want to be you.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Site Team

I have the maroon/black paint and have no problems. I also paint cars/hotrods and the paint job on my coach is a good paint job. The paint is a good quality base/clear the same as used on producution cars.

Spider cracks on clear is not common. Swirls are not caused from painting but from polishing as Eric stated.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #5

I assumed the OP was interested in an all/100% black body paint job.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #6

We also had the Black and maroon full body paint. I have no issues. We have about 8000 plus miles on it. After a year old and through just about every type of weather, our paint job is holding up pretty great. What do you think spindrift? We have been in Texas for a little over a month and the weather has not been real hot. Yet! But we have seen several days in the high 80’s low 90’s and our coach cooled off very quicklywhen we turned on the AC’s. THe ac’s have been shutting off when getting down to the set temps. We have the pleated blinds and they do a good job helping to keep out the sun. The only time I see swirls is when I used the wrong brush to wash my coach. You’ll want the softest brush you can find OR what I have been doing is wrap my softest brush with a full size towel and a larger bucket with lots of soap. Just remember to rise off the sides really good if you have dirt on the sides. Because you could get grit stuck in the towel and end up with scratches from that. Keep a good coat of wax on your coach and you should be fine. Even making you next washing a breeze to do. One other thing to remember, full body paint will stay alot better then the standard gel coat color.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #7

Thanks for the replys, black and maroon is our first choice. With a maroon truck I know of upkeep, main concern was keeping coach cool. Second concern is how is the paint holding up, especially cracks/spider lines, but haven't read of this being a big issue. Decision is getting near, I hope, just trying to find out a few more things.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #8

Our 36RL is painted with the black and maroon graphics. We spent a weekat Lajitas nearBig Bend National Parklast fall withmid 90'sheat, clear skies and no trees. Both AC's were running full blast during the heat of the day and kept the inside in the low 70's. Our unit has the double pane windows which helps with cooling also.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #9

Our paint is holding up great! Its been in -20 to 90 plus heat so far. When we started full timing March 15th it was 15 degrees out when we left. (I posted on here about our trip south.) When we arrived in Whytheville Va. it was high 60’s to low 70’s out. When we opened up the coach it was very cool in there and we turned the heat on to bring up the inside temp and dry it out. So the expanding and contracting of the sides because of varying temps had no effect on the painted seems that I have noticed. And when I arrived in TX I was all over it with a fine tooth comb waxing it. Dont be afraid to get the paint. You’ll be glad you got it. Very easy to take care of! So glad we order it..

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
Site Team

I'm the one with the small spider cracks and I'm not too worried about them yet. I believe these were caused by the front cap flexing and they are minor. I've already contacted the company and they'll look at it while I'm at the rally. If it doesn't get any worse, I'll be happy with it.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #11

We have the Black & Silver full paint and we are very pleased with it.