Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 01:25 AM   #1

Big Time RV

Well tonight on the travel channel is a show called Big Time RV... It's basically folks walking around Lazy Days looking to RV's... Tonight's show a family wanted a high end fifth wheel.. They were shown a Redwood 39 front bath.. And a Grand Design Reflection... They choose the Reflection..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Well tonight on the travel channel is a show called Big Time RV... It's basically folks walking around Lazy Days looking to RV's... Tonight's show a family wanted a high end fifth wheel.. They were shown a Redwood 39 front bath.. And a Grand Design Reflection... They choose the Reflection..
rut-roh!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:08 AM   #3
Site Team

That's bad considering Jim L. came from Lazy Days.....I guess the Redwood didn't treat Lazy Days as good as they should have.......that's marketing folks
Old 10-05-2015, 03:09 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
rut-roh!
scoobby?
Old 10-05-2015, 05:01 AM   #5

If I were shopping again, with the knowledge i have now. I most likely would go with the GrandDesign myself. I love the RW. But all of the issues just keep adding up. I pulled into a RV park in Meridian MS and there was 3 other RW parked in there. When they seen me pull in. One by one they begin to come and ask me how I like my RW. Well I have owned it 17 weeks. And only enjoyed it for 5 weeks. small nit picky issues. They begin to tell me of all of their problems. I just thought i had issues. The one parked beside me was a 2016 model FB. They bought a 2015 which was special ordered. And it came in with so many problems at Lazy Days in FL. that RW actually sent them a 2016 with many upgrades for the same price. And the 2016 already has a list of 30 items that need fixed. Again most of them are small quality control issues. They are full timers who can't take it back to the dealer easily due to work. They are not members yet of the forum. But I introduced them to it. the other two RW owners had very similar stories. I hated to hear these stories. I actually hoped I was just an exception and not the rule. This it turning out to be a very expensive lesson. I have to take my RW back this week. Who knows how long it will be in the shop this time based on past experience. Oh well I enjoyed it for 2,000 miles this past 2 weeks. And I guess I will eventually get it all worked out.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #6

I would agree, we love our Redwood but we have had way too many "Little" quality / design issues and problems for a high end coach.
I think we have worked through most of them between Redwood, our dealer, but in reality most of them have being taken care of myself in the way of repairs of quality issues, parts replacement's / upgrades or repairs / improvement's to poor designs that just do not work properly.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #7

Since we are quoting- "We are not alone" The three or four Redwood owners I've spoken to take almost as long to list their issues as us...

No way my wife would only look at two or three rv's before deciding !!!!
She records anything with rv in the title and so we watched the show.

The show is a poorly done Lazy-Days commercial from what I've seen of it...
from not so bright customers to the liberal "cross section of friendly couples, mixed couples, etc..." who want to pay full retail, so maybe their choices are not the best ?
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
That's bad considering Jim L. came from Lazy Days.....I guess the Redwood didn't treat Lazy Days as good as they should have.......that's marketing folks
Big Time RV is actually an interesting spin on what we think is a pretty cool concept. Customers are taken through the REAL sales process, and the camera follows what choices they make in real life. Which, in this case, was a Grand Design. The manufacturers have positively no way in what product is purchased, we just get an email letting us know that our product will be featured on the show--so we know to tune in and watch

Lazydays is Redwoods largest single-site account and our relationship is stronger than ever. When customers are looking at purchasing,it's important to note that the unit these folks chose is at a price point that is completely different value and price point than Redwood. Dave, I mentioned your comment to Jim and he wanted to assure you that we're not upset with LazyDays at all, nor they with us We were excited to see customers find a product that was right for them and will provide their family with lots of happiness. More than that, we were happy to be featured on a show that shows the ACTUAL sales process...not a marketing ploy put in place by a manufacturer. Hope this helps clear up any questions!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #9

I personally like watching any of the RV shows. I laugh as well when couples spend full MSRP on their units. I think most of them do not do their homework and are more concerned with features than how they are built. I did not watch this particular show but looking over a comparison between RW and the GD their is no comparison. The GD is definitely cheaper in cost and does not have the standard features of a RW nor does it offer many options.

I bought a used 2012 36RL last year and have been living in it full time since April. I am stationary so I read with interest on all the mods to hopefully eliminate a lot of the travel issues with these monsters. I have had no real issues with mine.

I personally think that RW has experienced such phenomenal growth that routine quality checks have gotten out of control. In addition, I believe decisions are made sometimes on changing components that are more focused on cost cuts than improving quality. It sure seems that people buying late model units 2015 and newer are having a lot of problems.

That is one thing that I observed on GD website that they place a lot of emphasis on insuring that everything is correct prior to letting it leave the plant. What a phenomenal concept, the customer receives a coach with minimal or no problems and everything works. I paid $15k for a small 25 foot TT in 2006 and used it for 7 years and never took it back to the dealer. And before you ask, yes it had a fridge, heat, ac, stove and bath and they all remained functional for the time I had it. If they can do it on a cheap RV they should be able to do it on a RW
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
Site Team

x2 Dean The industry in general needs a shakeup. We have a 2013 RL and like you have had very minimal issues. But ours was built back when they were only making 2-300 a year.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA1817 View Post
I personally like watching any of the RV shows. I laugh as well when couples spend full MSRP on their units....
We laugh over and over at these shows. First of all, have you noticed have every wife has a whiny annoying voice that seems to repeat over and over, "I don't like that."

The best chuckle thus far though actually came from a husband who complained about ... I kid you not ....having to latch the bathroom door closed on a MH.

Where do they find these people???
Old 10-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #12

LOL! My favorite was when the woman was adamant that the master bedroom must have floor space for a play pen for their infant child. I am also amazed when they clearly tell the salesman that they live in it full time and then they proceed to buy a unit that is clearly not up to the task.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
I would agree, we love our Redwood but we have had way too many "Little" quality / design issues and problems for a high end coach.
I think we have worked through most of them between Redwood, our dealer, but in reality most of them have being taken care of myself in the way of repairs of quality issues, parts replacement's / upgrades or repairs / improvement's to poor designs that just do not work properly.
I can handle the little issues - its the big issues I haven't come to terms with that haunt me! AC ductwork design - Shackle bushings, etc...
Old 10-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I can handle the little issues - its the big issues I haven't come to terms with that haunt me! AC ductwork design - Shackle bushings, etc...
Heck, I thought the A/C Duct Work and Shackle bushings were somewhat minor issues since many in the industry use the same axles with the plastic bushings and the same shackles and some in the industry have similar issues with the A/C duct work, once I understood the problem, the remedy was actually pretty simple.

I would agree, the number of quality / design issues on each unit is way too many.
Some of the issues we have had are Redwood assembly, design and manufacturing issues but a number of the issues we had are vendor supplied component issues on components that are not unique to Redwood.

Now when you get into structural problems with roofs, walls and frames, that is what I call a major problem.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #15

Oh, so you mean like missing a roof truss so the dealer pdi tech almost fell through the roof
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Oh, so you mean like missing a roof truss so the dealer pdi tech almost fell through the roof
That would fit the description
Old 10-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #17

still with all issues we occur and I was one who got a bad previous trailer...it is what it is. the new one has a few quirks in it but way better than the 38br we owned and pulls like a dream compared to the previous. would I do it again...absolutely!!! especially compared to a grand design it would be a no brainer in my opinion
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #18

Our friends just bought a Grand Design & although it is a nice unit & seems/appears to be a quality unit it's not in the same category as a RW, if they compare make it apples to apples.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #19

I thought the same thing when we watched it, how do you compare a $58k unit to a 134K unit (I think those were the figures)?? Some new friends a few sites down from us (in our Winter Park) were picking up their new Grand Design the same time we were switching from our 12 36RL to this 16 39MB. They were at Lazydays a few extra days because of issues, and I agree while a nice unit it doesn't compare to an RW, unless you've got one of the lemons.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote