Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2020, 01:08 AM   #1

2017 3991RD...What a let down !

Greetings everyone....Got a call from my brother in law a couple of days ago...he was excited to look at a RW(2017 model) at a local dealer. They have looked at our 2015 38RL and saw something that was comfortable....felt like home, and something they could consider full timing in....The 2017 3991RD at the dealer is New....left over stock. Because of its age the dealer really want to move the unit....so we went for a look...
My brother in law is one of those guys thats impressed with "tech"...bells and whistles and superficial "lipstick".....he knows no better....has not a handy hair on his head....does no DIY on anything..Besides those negative traits (in regards to RV ownership)...he is dependable....honest...he is good to my sister and a fun guy to have in the family....Thankfully he called me to accompany him to the dealership where this older...brand new....RW was parked. His thoughts were a situation like this may get someone into a Red Wood for a super price...
I know the dealer....a trusted local company known for good business practices
I phoned ahead....they were gracious enough to pull the RW into one of their heated bays (its deep winter here in Canada) prior to our arrival....we spent 20 minutes or so with the sales man before he left us alone to have a good look.
The floor plan does nothing for me....but we are all individuals and my bro thought it was great...To the un- trained eye....the fit and finish was acceptable ....but I have never seen so many nail holes (filled with a big smear of filler)...so many mitres / joints not matched...very few straight lines (crooked moldings)....and the loose pile "shag" rug in all the slides...I thought that type of rug went out of fashion in the 60's and 70's....lol
As you can tell from my previous details...mostly cosmetic stuff on the interior.
But there was much more serious shortcomings on the exterior...When did RW change from a firm close weave (or solid plastic sheet) under all the slides to the wide / course weave (black "tarp " Material) ? That stuff does almost nothing to prevent water intrusion.....and we all know there is only bare plywood next to it. Plus....the bed slide was the only slide to have the angled black plastic corner pieces to protect the edge gain of the plywood in the slide floor. To add to that..... one of these moldings had been installed incorrectly....and water has been seeping into the slide floor....and the ply was spongy /wet almost a foot back..
Remember this is a new unit....I know the dealer does not know this issue is present....not sure if I should have mentioned it...
Is this what many have mentioned about the more modern RW's ? I have done some work to my 2015....but generally its a good solid unit....and is far superior to the build quality of what I saw today....
My Brother in law would have missed all the issues (there are more) and may have put down some $$ on this unit...
Maybe this was built on a friday before a long weekend....no wonder RW sales has been less than stellar......The corporate "bean counters" are in control

Wes

2015 38RL 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:48 AM   #2

very Interesting.... a 2017, still new...

Either way when I compare my new 2020 to my older 2016, I am very pleased wit the newer unit.

I found that the fit and finish is about the same on both, just the 2020 has more whistles.

We particularly liked the floor plan of the 3991RD because it gave us opposing sofa beds , 1 for each daughter.

We usually have 6 of us when we do the beach and all 6 sleep comfortably ..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:21 AM   #3

We have a 2018 3991RD. we’ve been very happy with very few issues. Seems like a unit sitting on a lot, in the weather with no TLC for almost 3 years could be problematic. I would much rather buy a used unit from a meticulous owner I think.
Nocapo is offline   Reply With Quote