Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 10:35 PM   #1

Yearly inspection

I just got a quote on getting the first yearly inspection. The quote is almost $1,000. I feel this is very high. What have some of you paid for your inspection? Thanks Jim
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:54 PM   #2

I will make arrangements for my third year inspection in the next few weeks. Anniversary date is March 1st. The first inspection was free. The second one was billed at $90 which equals one hour of service time. Redwood has allowed me to use a local dealer for the inspections due to the distance to an authorized shop. I expect to pay one hour of time to check out the roof and the other items on the check list. If they find a problem I'm sure it'll add to the cost. In my opinion, $1,000 is a bit excessive especially if there are no issues found.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:22 PM   #3

Mine was also free the first time and one hour of labor the second time at Windish in Denver.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #4

Thanks, I found the inspection in my book and sent it to Camping World to show them what inspection I needed. I thought they inspected the axles and wheels but it is not in the book.
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:10 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin View Post
Thanks, I found the inspection in my book and sent it to Camping World to show them what inspection I needed. I thought they inspected the axles and wheels but it is not in the book.
Make sure you lift your trailer and inspect the wheels and bearings each year. There have been many on here that have had issues with these.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:39 AM   #6

I would call crossroads to verify, but from other reports, the yearly inspection is no longer needed for warranty coverage.
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
I would call crossroads to verify, but from other reports, the yearly inspection is no longer needed for warranty coverage.
I just went through this 3 weeks ago with Redwood/Crossroads. Sent an e-mail to Jim Lazzarino asking about the annual inspection requirement and was told it was no longer required. I was also inquiring about my fading front cap which has been approved to be painted locally. I was told the inspection was no longer required and Jim would have someone on his team call me about the fading cap. When that individual called me he informed me that the inspection is still required for everyone that has the 2/5 year warranty if they want the 5 year warranty to stay in affect. They approved me to use a local dealer for that inspection and I was quoted 1 hr labor charge for the inspection. Any problems would be additional. When I told him I have an e-mail from Jim telling me the inspection was no longer required, he said Jim must have misunderstood, because he double checked and said it was still required.
On the front cap, I have to pay for it and send the paid invoice to to Redwood/Crossroads for reimbursement which takes up to 6
weeks..........I don't like it but what can I do?
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:53 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin View Post
I just got a quote on getting the first yearly inspection. The quote is almost $1,000. I feel this is very high. What have some of you paid for your inspection? Thanks Jim

Where are you located? You might be able to take your RW to the Crossroads Factory Service Center for a lot less and they will do the inspection for free.

Seriously.........I would say thanks, but no thanks. Then go find a dealer that will do it for a lot less. They are trying to rip you off. The inspection takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hours of shop time max. Most shop rates are less than $150. per hour.

Good luck!

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
I just went through this 3 weeks ago with Redwood/Crossroads. Sent an e-mail to Jim Lazzarino asking about the annual inspection requirement and was told it was no longer required. I was also inquiring about my fading front cap which has been approved to be painted locally. I was told the inspection was no longer required and Jim would have someone on his team call me about the fading cap. When that individual called me he informed me that the inspection is still required for everyone that has the 2/5 year warranty if they want the 5 year warranty to stay in affect. They approved me to use a local dealer for that inspection and I was quoted 1 hr labor charge for the inspection. Any problems would be additional. When I told him I have an e-mail from Jim telling me the inspection was no longer required, he said Jim must have misunderstood, because he double checked and said it was still required.
On the front cap, I have to pay for it and send the paid invoice to to Redwood/Crossroads for reimbursement which takes up to 6
weeks..........I don't like it but what can I do?
OK! TIME FOR AN UPDATE! After posting the above, I decided I needed to e-mail Jim Lazzarino again to update him on what I was told by the tech concerning the annual inspection. I received an e-mail back this morning from Jim stating that apparently the tech never got his e-mail informing him that the inspection is no longer required. I then called the tech to reassure myself that he had now received that info. He stated that his boss just informed them this morning that the inspection is NO LONGER REQUIRED to continue the 5 year warranty.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #10

Too bad you can't charge that tech your hourly rate for doing his job for him.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:19 PM   #11

Quote:
OK! TIME FOR AN UPDATE! After posting the above, I decided I needed to e-mail Jim Lazzarino again to update him on what I was told by the tech concerning the annual inspection. I received an e-mail back this morning from Jim stating that apparently the tech never got his e-mail informing him that the inspection is no longer required. I then called the tech to reassure myself that he had now received that info. He stated that his boss just informed them this morning that the inspection is NO LONGER REQUIRED to continue the 5 year warranty.
Excellent news! Would you be willing to post that email, redacting personal information, to the forum with Jim's signature so everyone can refer to it if a dealer or factory person argues the point?
Old 02-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
That's great news....Thanks
Old 02-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #13

[QUOTE=Grandpa;44205]Excellent news! Would you be willing to post that email, redacting personal information, to the forum with Jim's signature so everyone can refer to it if a dealer or factory person argues the point?[/QUOTE} After looking at the e-mail I received from Jim, I realize that the "Confidentiality Notice" at the end of the e-mail probably means I can't pass it around, but I will be keeping it in my records and after discussing it with the tech today, I don't think it will be an issue in the future. If it is, then a quick e-mail to Jim Lazzarino should solve that.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:17 AM   #14

Chuck, I agree with you in that we try to cut to the chase and go direct to Redwood to get the official answer. In this case, I knew that it was discussed in this forum on many occasions and the most recent discussions ended with the annual inspection no longer being required, but since the subject came up again I felt it was necessary to go direct to Redwood again for clarification. I was writing to Jim concerning my fading front cap anyway so I asked him about the inspection with which he replied that it was no longer required. When the tech contacted me (Jim said I would be contacted concerning how to proceed with the cap issue) I told him that Jim had told me the inspection was no longer required. My concern was still fresh in my mind because my 2 year inspection was coming due and I don't have a nearby Crossroads/Redwood dealer. He told me that Jim must not have understood that I owned a 2013 model with the 2/5 warranty, but the inspection was still required to continue the 5 yr warranty. I asked him to check into it since the General Manager was telling me no but he was telling me yes. He double checked and e-mailed me back stating that it was still required and listed 3 local RV dealers they would accept to do the inspection. I could see the confusion among their own Redwood people as to this inspection so, to clarify, I sent another e-mail explaining to Jim that his own techs are telling me that the inspection
is still required. He thanked me for the info and again stated that it was no longer required. Jim stated that the tech must not have gotten his e-mail concerning the inspections. I then called the tech to see what his take was and he stated that his boss had just told everyone that it is no longer required. The problem I see in this entire discussion is that Redwood itself doesn't always agree among the employees To give you another example, I have asked several tech as to what the 5 year warranty actually covers and I have been unable to get an exact answer. This most recent tech told me that the only thing the 5 yr warranty covers is the skeleton which he referred to as the inside framing, but not the exterior skin (fiberglass) Who really knows. Apparently there is nothing in writing like there is for autos explaining in detail what is and what is not covered. It's up to us as the owners to bring a potential warranty issue to Redwood for a wait and see answer. So far Redwood seems to be taking care of most issues and for that I applaud them. After today I doubt that a tech will tell anyone that the inspection is still required. I think Jim clarified with everyone.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
Excellent news! Would you be willing to post that email, redacting personal information, to the forum with Jim's signature so everyone can refer to it if a dealer or factory person argues the point?

I have heard the same. My dealership said that stopping the inspections would cut down on the amount of RV's being brought into the service department.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:23 AM   #16

Rick,

I've talked with Jim several times on the warranty issue, I'm pretty sure he's made it clear that the annual inspections are not required any longer...he's also made it clear that there needs to be proof of preventative maintenance in the event there is a warranty issue. Though an inspection is no longer required it is clear and reasonable to assume that every RV should be serviced both for any problems and for preventing issues just as we do with our trucks.

Here is the section of my owners manual regarding the 5 Year Warranty...
Structural Warranty Coverage

The recreational vehicle structure manufactured by Redwood is warranted to be
free from manufacturing defects in material and workmanship for a period of five
years, beginning on the date of the original purchase. The structure is defined
as:
1. The rafter structure of the roof;
2. The stud structure of the front, rear, and sidewalls (excluding slide outs);
3. The laminated exterior skin of the sidewall;
4. The joist structure of the floor.
This structural warranty does not include components not manufactured by
Redwood, including but not limited to: frame, windows, doors, Alpha ply roof
material, vents, and cabinets.
An annual inspection must be performed by an authorized Redwood dealer to
qualify for the five year structural warranty coverage. The inspection and
service certification form can be found at the front of this manual and must be
submitted to Redwood Service department within 30 days of the retail anniversary
date.

Obviously the annual inspection is no longer a requirement but the section defines what is covered.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:08 AM   #17

Thanks Chuck, I guess somewhere along the line I missed that listing of what is covered. To illustrate my prior concern, about the employees not understanding the same things, the tech I recently talked to explained to me that if I experienced a crack below the bedroom slide, as some have, it would not be covered under the 5 year warranty. He did go on, to state however, that any issues could be submitted to Redwood for possible approval under the warranty. I brought that up to him because I wanted Redwood to install the expansion trim under the bedroom slide when it was at the service center last year having warranty issues repaired and they said they would not do it unless there was an crack. I was just trying to prevent a larger problem by having the trim piece installed while it was there. I wanted reassurance that if I did have a crack within the 5 yr period that Redwood would cover it. I didn't get that reassurance. I have to assume that Redwood would make it right if the crack occurred, they have never let me down yet. Jim has been incredible and he always thanks me for being a Redwood owner. Whenever I have e-mailed him I have always gotten an immediate reply within 24 hours and that means a lot to me as a Redwood owner. Thanks again for the manual listing. As said many times on this forum, solutions are available on this forum with a great deal of professional knowledge offered by fellow Redwooders.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #18

Mine was an hour service charge as well, at WindishRv. Here in Denver. They told me what items needed attention. Informing me what would be submitted to Redwood for warranty and what I would need to cover for normal wear and tear. Thousand doors is way over the top.
JellyStonePark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #19
lwg

Good news on the inspections. I can do these myself much more easily than scheduling with a dealer. In the end I was the one fixing the minor issues found by the dealer anyway as my labor is free!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Good news on the inspections. I can do these myself much more easily than scheduling with a dealer. In the end I was the one fixing the minor issues found by the dealer anyway as my labor is free!
I agree, I'm usually up on the roof anyway. I can check that caulk out just as well or better than they can. I can buy a lot of caulk for what the dealers want to do the inspection. I'm probably more concerned then most techs since the rig is my investment, not theirs.