Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #1

Winterizing for the first time - Cover?

Hello all....hope everyone enjoyed their trips this past summer! Question...we have moved to Idaho and plan on keeping our rig outside for part of the winter. We will winterize for the couple months we will be here in the snow. I was wondering what we should do as far as covering the rig. Should we go for a full blown cover...and if so..what type do you guys recommend? Or can I just get covers for the air conditioning units and wheels and call it good? Or do we even need to cover anything?

Thanks for your comments in advance! Love the forum!

We have a 2012 Redwood 38FL Front Living Room
brenster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #2

Cover the acs & tires then call it good! The covers often times cause as much damage as they prevent with flapping & chaffing all 4 corners, not to mention a huge PITA install/remove, plus expensive to replace every other year. If you have lots of snow you may have to wait til spring to remove it after all the snow & ice on the cover thaws.
IMHO just have a good coat of wax put on it before storage & store it either nose or rear high so snow melt will run off easily.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #3

First time - cover

Alot depends on where in Idaho you are. If you’re out on the Snake River plain a cover would be optional unless it is a heavy snow year. If you’re up North or in the mountains, IMHO, a cover would be a good idea. I grew up in Idaho, but now live in Colorado and always cover the RV. I agree with Travelin-texans. You need to takes extra precaution around corners and gutters to prevent chaffing and wearing holes. I cinch the cover pretty tight to minimize billowing and rubbing in high wind. I’ve had mine for six seasons, but will replace it this winter. Absolutely cover the tires. It is a pain to put on, but for me, worth the effort.
rlmankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:20 PM   #4

Storing my 38fl for the first time.

I am washing and waxing the RV. Also I will drain the water and add antifreeze.
We have full timed for the last 2 years. My question is can I leave some stuff over the winter. Of course, no food but can I leave coffee pot, toaster oven, other small appliances as well as dishes etc? Manuals, cleaning items, spices, soap, baking pans, sheets and towels. Can I put linens in a closed bin? Thank you in advance. Gracelyn
Graylen53176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:40 PM   #5

We pretty much leave everything in the trailer. We have a Keurig coffee pot and left it in one year. Discovered that even if you drain the water, there is still enough left to cause it to crack and leak. We don't leave it in there anymore. I also always make sure the water hose is fully drained and both ends are left open. In our first year a couple of mice got in through some untapped seams in the underbelly cover, so each year now, I make sure those are all sealed. Since then no problems. Good Luck
rlmankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:21 AM   #6

Scatter a few packages of Fresh Cab around inside, under cabinets & drawers. Also scatter some Ramick Green pellets around & under the outside. Both will help keep rodents out, both products can be found at Tractor Supply.
If you by chance you have power while in storage add a Sonic pest device plugged inside also works well.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote