Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #1

Smile window shades drawstring

The window shades drawstrings have frayed badly and needs to be replaced. Need advice on where to get strings and how to instructions if we do it ourselves.
Thank you in advance.
amron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:03 PM   #2

Go to " You Tube" you'll find dozens of how-to videos, don't know where to go to find patience to do it. Finally gave up & took mine (from SOB) to Camping World & they sub them out, $80 to do back window.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 PM   #3
Site Team

I'm not overly impressed with the string set up but others have complained about the new style too. I wonder why we can't just put the shades and blinds from the house in these RVs.

In the bedroom I put the foil insulation stuff over the windows to keep the light out.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #4

A person in a Montana, in our camp grounds, paid $~400 + for custom dual shades, like REDWOOD is installing their 5th wheels. My friend said they furnished a place to park while custom blind were made for their UNIT!
Old 04-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #5

My wife didn't have the strength to open the old pleated shades on our Montana - the Redwood shades were a big selling point for her, and me.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
My wife didn't have the strength to open the old pleated shades on our Montana - the Redwood shades were a big selling point for her, and me.
Had a Hitchhiker several years ago that we couldn't raise or lower the shades easily. Found out they can be adjusted by adjusting the tension of the string in the wall attachment at bottom of shades, the only problem was that the prior owner had cut all the extra string off the shades. Went to a fabric store and found new string and my wife, with lots of patience, replaced every string in the fifth wheel. After that we could raise and lower with 1 finger. Loved them!!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Had a Hitchhiker several years ago that we couldn't raise or lower the shades easily. Found out they can be adjusted by adjusting the tension of the string in the wall attachment at bottom of shades, the only problem was that the prior owner had cut all the extra string off the shades. Went to a fabric store and found new string and my wife, with lots of patience, replaced every string in the fifth wheel. After that we could raise and lower with 1 finger. Loved them!!
I always wondered if that wasn't the issue. It took brute force to raise the one over the dining table and it was a back killer to reach over and do that. Thanks for the heads up!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote