Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #1

Why redwood?

My first 5th wheel so as you could imagine I have more question than this forum wants to answer I’m sure. Started out looking at cedar creek and liked what I found new. Now I’m thinking to go used and maybe upgrade. I like what I’ve seen on redwood as far as the fit and finish. I like the bigger holding tanks and full body paint. Can anybody that have possibly went from cedar creek to redwood give me some reason why they did. I’m even considering going with a used Mobil suite. I think the more I look around the more I see that quality is very important.
Thanks for anything you can provide
Macs sports bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
Site Team

It's pretty much acknowledged by most that the best of the bunch for Redwood quality build was the earlier ones 12-14 model years. You might want to take a look on here as a few members have theirs rigs for sale. Would be willing to bet that any one of them would be well maintained and have upgrades. I'm sure some of them will respond on here.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #3

I have had no issues with mine other than one window latch that was broken during transport and a loose panel on the refrigerator that I tightened myself.

When I was shopping, I looked at everything on the market. Nothing could compare to the Redwood for the fit and finish you mention or overall value for the $. I did look at Mobil Suites but they were more money (new) and very heavy. I would have had to buy a new truck at the same time and that was not going to happen.

Love my choice!!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #4

I also was looking hard at the Cedar Creeks when in the market... I actually had put a price on one in VA, but the dealer would not move on their cost, hindsite I am thrilled he wouldn’t move..

I could not be happier with my Redwood, no comparison between the 2 in my eyes. If you buy used, and early year Redwood, watch the front and rear caps, as they were color infused gelcoat and had/have fade issues just like all other mfgs...

Don’t get me wrong, Cedar Creeks are a nice unit they just don’t measure up to the RW in my book...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Joe - the caps were only color gel coat on the non-full paint
Old 03-13-2018, 12:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Joe - the caps were only color gel coat on the non-full paint
Yes I know, the poster did not state how used/old of a RW he was looking at.,.. just making sure he knew
Old 03-13-2018, 02:36 AM   #7

Any idea on the floor plan you are looking for? We might be able to point you in the right direction with a few for sale.

Steve
Old 03-13-2018, 05:30 AM   #8

Here's mine! Lifestyle has changed & looking to downsize. It has been maintained & has several upgrades.
Send me pm if you have questions.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...-renew-listing

To answer why RW? For us it was fit/finish, value for price, floor plan, & available options.
Would I buy another RW? Yep! In a NY second.
We also looked at Cedar Creek & had one a few years back, but as Joe said they wouldn't budge on price. Mobil Suites were toooo heavy & tooooooo much money & the fit /finish wasn't a dimes worth better than the RW.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #9

We looked at a number of 5th Wheels when shopping, when we went in a Redwood, it just felt like home to us.

The right construction was there (not perfect, but better than others we looked at) and the fit and finish was good and again the most important thing, it felt like home.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #10

Not one problem with my 2018 3401rl
afmillerdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #11

I agree with others that there's no comparison between Cedar Creek and RW. Actually, Cedar Creek is several notches down. We have a 2017 36RL and it's the perfect 5th wheel floor plan, it also is beautiful and well thought out. The problems we've had are not unique to RW, but with the RV industry as a whole. We also looked at the LUXE/Ambition line and Mobile Suites, both were considerably heavier and much more expensive. LUXE/Ambition were still untested and small, but more importantly, they had some real issues with fit and the company was eventually sold. Mobile also doesn't have the same elegance and richness, and although they are more sophisticated, they are also more complicated when repairing.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #12

I always put 5ers into four classes -
  • The Ultra Lights - targeting the 1/2 ton tow market
  • The Lightweights - targeting the 3/4 ton tow market
  • The Standard Weight - all riding on the 12" I-beam Lippert frame
  • The Heavyweights - DRV, Luxe, Carriage, Teton, Lifestyle etc - higher end frame than the 12" I-beam

Our Redwood, and possibly the Landmark, were what I consider the top of the Standard Weight. Landmark, only because the fella that designed the Redwood left and went to Heartland to build the Landmark 365 From the first time we saw a Redwood at the RV show (2012) we figured we would have one someday. They still stand out today but back then they were one of the most beautiful 5ers out there, inside and out.

The Heavyweights are typically the highest quality, with hung walls, tubular stacked frames and torsion or independent suspensions. They are (were) heavy, and as you can see from the names of ghost companies I listed, many never survived. The success of the luxurious standard weights have haunted the heavyweights. Just before the death of Lifestyle, they spent the last year of production on the 12" I beam Lippert frame to try to save themselves. Their initial production of a stacked tubular frame (left over from Carriage) failed to capture the market. DRV even came out with an economy line on a 12" Lippert frame (Mobile Suites Aire) to try to get in on the action when sales suffered on their heavyweights. Since then, they were bought out by Heartland.

Bottom line, if you want to get in on the top end of the Standard Weights, Redwood is a good choice! If you want to be part of the heavy weight clan, better bring a big truck and a big check
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #13

Why redwood

I thank everybody for all your valuable info. I have done enough research to know that this can be a crap shoot or roll of the dice so my thought was go right to the source. I’m more than likely going to get a redwood but i will do a little more construction research.
Macs sports bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #14

Redwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs sports bar View Post
My first 5th wheel so as you could imagine I have more question than this forum wants to answer I’m sure. Started out looking at cedar creek and liked what I found new. Now I’m thinking to go used and maybe upgrade. I like what I’ve seen on redwood as far as the fit and finish. I like the bigger holding tanks and full body paint. Can anybody that have possibly went from cedar creek to redwood give me some reason why they did. I’m even considering going with a used Mobil suite. I think the more I look around the more I see that quality is very important.
Thanks for anything you can provide
We have a 2015 39MB model full body paint, Goodyear H rated 17.5 tires, Onan 5500 Genset, disc brakes, we upgraded to 8K Mor Ryde IS system in 2016, best thing we ever did, trailer has approx 10K miles, we also have a F350 Ford Platinum / Lariet 6.7 Diesel 56000 K, fully loaded, with PullRite fifth wheel, truck has tow and plow package with Firestone Air bags on rear, will sell Rv for $67.000 and Truck for $57000 or both for $120.000 truck matches the RV, both have extended transferable warranties, trailer with total care warranty including all appliances to #2020, truck to 100.000 miles premium care package, which includes oil changes, and many other benefits to numerous to mention, but can be viewed on Ford. com.
If interested call 757- 449-4800 ( Jeff ).
Good luck on your search.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
We have a 2015 39MB model full body paint, Goodyear H rated 17.5 tires, Onan 5500 Genset, disc brakes, we upgraded to 8K Mor Ryde IS system in 2016, best thing we ever did, trailer has approx 10K miles, we also have a F350 Ford Platinum / Lariet 6.7 Diesel 56000 K, fully loaded, with PullRite fifth wheel, truck has tow and plow package with Firestone Air bags on rear, will sell Rv for $67.000 and Truck for $57000 or both for $120.000 truck matches the RV, both have extended transferable warranties, trailer with total care warranty including all appliances to #2020, truck to 100.000 miles premium care package, which includes oil changes, and many other benefits to numerous to mention, but can be viewed on Ford. com.
If interested call 757- 449-4800 ( Jeff ).
Good luck on your search.

Jeff, Are you and Karen hanging up the RV keys ?? Say it ain’t so.................

Joe
Old 03-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #16

Not hardly Joe, very happy with our Redwood, Ford F350 and RV full time life, just thinking of maybe going to a Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 AP, so wife can rest her back while traveling, still haven't completely made our mind up yet, but trade in's are crap $ value as you know.
Had to sit all last year as our 1st and beautiful granddaughter Hope Charlie Basanta came into our lives June 1st.
Looking forward to May as we will once again turn the wheels.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
Not hardly Joe, very happy with our Redwood, Ford F350 and RV full time life, just thinking of maybe going to a Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 AP, so wife can rest her back while traveling, still haven't completely made our mind up yet, but trade in's are crap $ value as you know.
Had to sit all last year as our 1st and beautiful granddaughter Hope Charlie Basanta came into our lives June 1st.
Looking forward to May as we will once again turn the wheels.
Thats why we went to Class A - Wife needed a place to lay down and use the restroom and it started to get a little tricky pulling off to the side of the road to access the bathroom. Some roads, there are no "sides of the road" (i.e. 50 in Nevada) Don't miss that dually truck either, but we did really enjoy the Redwood and miss the beautiful paint and warm interior.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote