Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2022, 03:31 AM   #1

Why is the water from my ht water heater black

Finally getting ready to go camping and we were spring cleaning the camper. I had un-winterized the camper about a month ago including flushing all the lines and restoring the hot water tank. I fill the fresh water tank and use that since the camper is a long way from a faucet, takes a lot of hoses to reach it. We didn't need hot water but I wanted to make sure the hot water tank was completely full since the pump seemed to run for a short time after closing any faucet, indicating air in the system. As soon as we opened a hot water faucet the water came out black. This has never happened to me with this camper or any other camper I have had. It's the second year for the sacrificial anode, but it still had plenty left on it. The only difference this year is that I replaced the electric heater element. Is it possible the new element is corroding? We ran the water for a long time and it cleared up. I will go out in a couple of days and see if it turns black again.
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #2

Could just be hot water tank settiment flushing out and I do believe the new heating element could contribute to that ...
webberwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:15 AM   #3

I agree.The water has been clear since, and to be honest in years past I always ran water out the sacrificial anode hole as I wire brushed the threads. I don't really remember doing that this year.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:42 PM   #4

Make sure at the end of the year you drain the water heater , flush it out and NEVER put antifreeze in it. in the spring pull the anode out again and flush it for about 1 min then install the zinc anode. There are some anodes designed for water that is hard , you may want to look into your water quality before you store it this fall.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:41 AM   #5

That is exactly what I do. I have been winterizing my campers for over 30 years. I just think I didn't flush enough when I was restoring the anode.