Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 02:32 AM   #1

Where will be your first camping trip?

For those of us patiently waiting for spring to use our RW's, where will that first trip be to?
For my wife and I, our first trip will be a local one to ensure there are no hidden problems with our RW. Then we are seriously looking at a trip to Fort Wilderness, FL

2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #2

For us it is always to the local State Park / lake for Mothers Day and we have a picnic for about 30 people. I go a week early and de-winterize, fix everything I didn't fix last year, and find a place to stash all that new stuff I bought with a vengeance over winter - usually stuff I learned about here.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Site Team

I'm getting mine ready next week for a trip South. When we get back I'll decide if I'll re-winterized it or just keep it warm til spring. Tonight we're expecting 8 -10 inches of snow.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Dave
remember to put a tire chain on the trailer axle to keep it behind you on the corners
Old 01-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Dave
remember to put a tire chain on the trailer axle to keep it behind you on the corners

We won't be leaving for another week and by them hopefully the snow will be gone. I've pulled the "Beauty" in snow before and she does real good.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:34 PM   #6

We'll be headed up to Middlebury, VT next weekend and then down to Elk Neck State Park the following weekend where I'll take my bride to Woody's for our traditional Valentine's dinner. Can't wait!
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:27 PM   #7

My rig is being stored in Lancaster Pa at a campground. The campground opens March 20th if the weather allows. We've got reservations there until the end of April. That's where we will start our season.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
We'll be headed up to Middlebury, VT next weekend and then down to Elk Neck State Park the following weekend where I'll take my bride to Woody's for our traditional Valentine's dinner. Can't wait!

Tom,

didn't you guys just get a lot of snow out there?
Old 02-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
We won't be leaving for another week and by them hopefully the snow will be gone. I've pulled the "Beauty" in snow before and she does real good.
Dave.............are you coming to Florida this winter? The weather has been beautiful here in the Palmetto area with daytime highs in the range of 66 to 75 degrees.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:10 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
Dave.............are you coming to Florida this winter? The weather has been beautiful here in the Palmetto area with daytime highs in the range of 66 to 75 degrees.

Guy
Guy, we're going to go to North Carolina to see my folks and get away from the office before I start shooting employees. With any luck, they'll all kill each other while were gone
Old 02-01-2015, 12:18 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Guy, we're going to go to North Carolina to see my folks and get away from the office before I start shooting employees. With any luck, they'll all kill each other while were gone
Good luck. Enjoy your time away from the office. Hope you have good weather and safe travels.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Bad day at the office I take

2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 02-01-2015, 12:34 AM   #13

Quote:

Bad day at the office I take

2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 02-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #14
Site Team

Tom - that's my stomping grounds. Used to live on the other side of Turkey Point on the Elk river. Know Woodys well. Pete Woods son and my son were in Scouts together.

Have a wonderful trip and get breakfast at Pier One in North East just up the street from Woodys
Old 02-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrn View Post
For those of us patiently waiting for spring to use our RW's, where will that first trip be to?
For my wife and I, our first trip will be a local one to ensure there are no hidden problems with our RW. Then we are seriously looking at a trip to Fort Wilderness, FL

If you are talking Fort Wilderness at Disney, we rode the bus over there, while resort hopping, and fell in love. That is a definite to do resort on our list, as soon as I get freed up from this work camp thing.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
If you are talking Fort Wilderness at Disney, we rode the bus over there, while resort hopping, and fell in love. That is a definite to do resort on our list, as soon as I get freed up from this work camp thing.
Jerryl,
Yes, I am talking about Fort Wilderness at Disney. I have heard good things about this resort, plus my wife is really looking forward to going to this Disney. We have been to the Disney in California. Don't think I will ever want to drive an RV through that kind of traffic ever again. Hope Florida's traffic is not as bad.

2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 02-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #17

Warning...there are many sites at Ft Wilderness that are simply too small for your Redwood so be diligent in booking. Like many campgrounds this park which was built before the monster class RV's arrived has lots of smaller sites, the roads are a bit challenging in places.
I believe they do have a section [$$$] that is more accommodating for the big boys so you might want to look at that.

Having said that, once your there and parked...you'll have a ball, lots to do and the park is magnificent!!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:43 PM   #18

We have stayed at Fort Wilderness many times over the years.
Stayed there for a couple months a few years ago while working in the area.
It was off season and we got the Florida Residents Discount.
Fort Wilderness was built in the 70s so there are some tight roads and small sites.
Only the premium sites will accommodate a 40Ft Plus 5th Wheel with multiple slides.
The other sites are a toss up RVs over 40Ft.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Tom,

didn't you guys just get a lot of snow out there?
Dave...the trip down to the Chesapeake should be fine. Just a little snow there but cold. Middlebury, VT on the other hand is getting hammered right now which is something we weren't expecting. May have to go the hotel route but if the campground at Lake Dunmore tells me they've got things plowed well then it's time to strap the skis to the roof of the RW.

Vaughn...I know Pier One but for whatever reason, never had the oppprtunity to visit. The kids love Woody's and it's nothing for us to take a road trip down there during the off season when any of them get home to visit. Fond, fond memories for sure.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:05 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Dave...the trip down to the Chesapeake should be fine. Just a little snow there but cold. Middlebury, VT on the other hand is getting hammered right now which is something we weren't expecting. May have to go the hotel route but if the campground at Lake Dunmore tells me they've got things plowed well then it's time to strap the skis to the roof of the RW.

Vaughn...I know Pier One but for whatever reason, never had the oppprtunity to visit. The kids love Woody's and it's nothing for us to take a road trip down there during the off season when any of them get home to visit. Fond, fond memories for sure.

Tom,

the Redwood follow GREAT in blizzard conditions. I add a little extra water in my RL and it pulls fine. Just give the wife an extra drink before you leave so hopefully she falls asleep.