Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2019, 10:45 PM   #1

Whats your propane usage?

We took a quick trip to Ohio a week or so ago for about a week and while the temps were not that cold(didn't even get below freezing) it seems like I was going through a lot of propane. 30lbs every 2 days. Lows in mid 30's highs mid 40's. I will say it did seem the basement stayed rather warm although I did not put a thermometer in there. Reading another thread on here and 3-5 days in really cold weather (cold?) for 30 lbs is normal. I've checked the ducts at the furnace and everything is still attached. I did have to reattach one but that was this past summer when I was in there for other reasons. What are your usual usage amounts for propane?

Edit; I guess I should add we could not use the heat pump and fireplace to supplement the furnace due to electric availability. Also t-stat set to 72 during the day and 66 at night.

2018 39MB
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:24 AM   #2

Using strictly propane, that doesn't seem too bad. I would think about normal.
Mark
Old 12-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #3

the heat pump or the fire place draw about 15 amps at 120 volt. If your plugged into a 30 amp RV site you could run the heat pump no problem . If your on a 200' 14 gauge cord I would say best case you could run a cube heater on (low) 750W and still have enough voltage to start the frigerator. Its all about power management. get a plug in digital voltage meter and use what you can for electricity . stay warm

this is what I use to keep a eye on park voltage. If you see less then 107 volt start looking at how much your using. I also have a Hughes voltage booster that I can use if the parks voltage is low.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:35 AM   #4

Thanks MARKW.

XCMARK, this was a quick trip to the inlaws and instead of bringing my 6500W generator like I do during the summer I brought my 2000W. Yes I could have ran the fireplace on 2000W but that would put the generator running at near full bore, hence just the propane usage. I don't normally do this but it was the easiest for the quick trip we had to make this time and was only for a week. Had it been longer I would have explored other more efficient means. Probably would have stayed at a local RV park. I normally just use electric when its available. Just was wondering if the propane usage seemed reasonable. My heat pump will make you sweat.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:20 PM   #5

Seems like a lot of propane to use. We spent a week with temps at night down to 15 F and in the 30's during the day. We used about 9 gallons every 5 to 6 days, and kept the thermostat at 70 to keep the basement warm.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:18 AM   #6

Reviving an old thread, but I noticed the same thing earlier this spring. I ended up using duct tape to seal up the large vent in the basement as I had no use for the storage area to be a toasty 72 when outside temps were 40 and no danger of freezing. My furnace now doesn't run all night heating up by storage totes in the basement for no reason and my LP usage went down as a result.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote