Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 02:47 AM   #1

What size are the water lines?

I was considering buying water line repair fittings and couplers in anticipation of leaks and repairs. What size are the water lines; 3/8 or 1/2?
Full timers Oct 2014
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Roadrunners View Post
I was considering buying water line repair fittings and couplers in anticipation of leaks and repairs. What size are the water lines; 3/8 or 1/2?
Everything is 1/2 inch pex and fittings.

I just did the same thing. If you are new to the pex system like me, I had to educate myself some. It turns out there are 4 or 5 different crimp systems with associated fittings. There are some very good videos on YouTube that discribe the different systems and what tools to use for each. Check them out before you start buying parts and tools.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #3

Funny I just did the same thing. I looked up PEX repair kits, they exist but are very expensive and have more than we want or need. I went into Home depot, I got lucky and found one of the few guys that knew his dept. We walked around and put together a repair kit with everything you might need in the event of a broken piece in an emergency. It wasn't expensive to do and I believe I have what I might need in a pinch.
Look in the access hole in the basement at the different fittings and under the sink, you'll get a good feel for what might be needed.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Foxfire - you wouldn't happen to have a copy of that receipt with the part numbers would you ? Hint, hint ....
Old 07-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

LOL I might, My wife yells at me that I have to many tool boxes and to much stuff. When I got this I put it in it's own tool box and threw it in the basement where she couldn't see it to yell at me. I think the receipt is in the box. I'll be up at the RW tomorrow because we are moving it Thursday. I'll check tomorrow and let you know.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Steve - many thanks. Sounds like Tracy and Gloria are related .... Let's just say I have been accused of being addicted to Amazon. (But it was ALL stuff that we needed !).
Putting it all in a separate bag or tub makes sense. I've discovered the Sterilite plastic tubs with the locking lids fit into the storage racks in the front of the basement like they were designed for there.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #7

I'd be interested in finding out what crimping tools/fittings are needed for crimping those reinforced clear plastic lines around the water filter in the basement area. I have a set of pex tools for the red and blue half inch pex lines but it looks like you need different tools for that clear plastic piping as it's larger in OD.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
.... Let's just say I have been accused of being addicted to Amazon. (But it was ALL stuff that we needed !).
the first sign of addiction is the box in the basement of the Redwood with parts from Amazon for a mod or project that you have been carrying around for over a year and never started the project
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc View Post
I'd be interested in finding out what crimping tools/fittings are needed for crimping those reinforced clear plastic lines around the water filter in the basement area. I have a set of pex tools for the red and blue half inch pex lines but it looks like you need different tools for that clear plastic piping as it's larger in OD.

The same tools for the "hose" type of material as well. They are all 1/2 inch. It's a good idea to carry a 4 ft section of each water line with you. Many times you have to cut off the line that has already been crimped due to the memory in the plastic lines. Don't forget to buy some of the white hose as well. The water lines are VERY cheep, it's the tools and fittings that cost.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #10

Atom, you have me pegged. I have my parts for the vacuum addition in the basement, my water leak detector to install, my norcold fridge fan upgrade and faucet upgrade for the kitchen. It is an addiction :-) And as Dave said, the PEX tool ain't cheap.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #11

An alternative to the pex tools and connectors is sharkbite. They are slip on connectors, no tools required. They can be used on pex or copper. Fitting are not cheap but the convenience is wonderful. Sharkbite also makes a small removal tool so that the connections can be easily taken off. It's available at most all hardware stores.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #12

When I went in to make up a pex repair kit they showed me the sharkbite connectors. The problem I saw was you need another tool because the end of the hose has to be cut perfectly square or it leaks. Then I figured when the water is leaking and I'm running in place at 100 mph in a dither the last thing I needed was is the cut square?
the pex fittings you could cut ragged with a knife and it works fine look in the basement and you'll see what I mean. IMHO
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Foxfire - you wouldn't happen to have a copy of that receipt with the part numbers would you ? Hint, hint ....
I'm at the RW and checked around I didn't keep the receipt. If you look through the silly access door in the basement you can see all the different fitting they used. There really are only 3, go into the bathroom or kitchen and look under the sink there are 2 more. A half a dozen fittings, clamps, a swage and a piece of hose and you should be good for almost anything.
We all know the one that breaks we won't have but can make it work with what we have.
We leave in the morning for a trip with friends. My friend is a plumber. I'll run this and my spare parts kit by him and see what he thinks.