Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #1

What did you forget

If you could do it all over again, knowing then what you know now what would you have ordered differently?
Options, TV, satellite dish, etc etc ?

to start I ordered the maxxfan in the bathroom and kitchen never thought I would have a need for one in the bedroom. It was a mistake I should have ordered the bedroom too.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:28 AM   #2

That's probably one I would have done too - I never realized that without the maxxfan you get nothing in the bedroom, and its a bit dark in there.

I pretty much got everything offered except awning LED slide toppers, and I don't miss them, but I would however, have gone for the King slide in slide on the 38RL if that model would have been available at the time.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:21 AM   #3
lwg

I wish we would have ordered, would have gotten the slide in slide, propane oven delete, res fridge, dark brown furniture, one heat pump, extra MaxxFan in bedroom, disc brakes, cherry wood instead of Blonde Cherry.

Wow, this list is kind of depressing...
Old 04-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #4

Love your Pics.....How long did it take you to learn to back into the RV storage area?
I also like your double awnings. I will add that and the generator some day. Do you use your onan much?
gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridiron View Post
Love your Pics.....How long did it take you to learn to back into the RV storage area?
I also like your double awnings. I will add that and the generator some day. Do you use your onan much?
I also back my coach into an RV storage area and it is son-of-a-gun to do. Like backing into a dark hole. It takes my wife bravely standing in the back with a radio for us to get it in. One thing I did that helps is to lay a rope on the drive in front of the garage that gives me something to line up the coach to. Helps me get it straight but is still a challenge.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #6

Great idea with the rope. So I assume you mean as you back up it is parallel to your rig. Great idea
gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
Site Team

I store our 36RL in a pole barn. I have to back it in and usually have to do it alone. I mounted one of those reflective, triangular, slow moving vehicle signs at the end of the barn. I then line up the end of the coach on the sign and slowly back the coach into the barn. Once I get close, I generally check the distance to the end of the barn a couple of times until I have it positioned where I want it. This has always worked well for me.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridiron View Post
As others have said, its a dark hole! Its also a bit of a tight turn to get it in there, but I'm much better at it now that I practice. The ones across from me have to back in on the blind passenger side and I could never do that.

My wife helps if she is there, otherwise I jump out a lot. I know to back in until the drivers door is at the entrance, then I stop and I didn't crush the bikes on the back

I don't use the Onan that much. I've had it for 10 years and it probably has about 200 hrs if that. However, its there when I need it and as LP unit, it is surprisingly low maintenance.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #9

After 3 near divorces and the wife no longer helping (just kidding!)

Maybe do what I did...it has bright white limestone rocks for a base and blinds me going into the 'hole' with poles no more than 18 inches on either side!

buy two 2x12 boards 6 or 8 foot long,
get some reflective ORANGE paint to paint them,
position them such that the four tires are near the back end of the boards and backed in right the first time...
then mark the rear tires location...
pull the rv up and nail two wheel chocks where it will stop you before hitting the rear end

from then on I just back in such that the last turn is a shallow turn from the drivers side so I can see and point the drivers side rv tires toward the boards and know when the front of the rv is close to the pole, i start slowing down for the stop!

Works like a champ 90% of the time...
(Wife says get a backup camera to help... but not sure it would do better than my method!)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #10

When I did the driving lessons the instructor showed me a trick for backing up to a wall or curb.

To start he placed an object on the ground immediately behind the coach. Then with me sitting in the cab he placed some tape on the front driver's side of the coach so that it aligned with the object on the ground.

Now when backing up all I need is something on the ground on the driver's side to identify where the back end should stop. I back up until the tape is aligned with the object on the ground and the rear of the coach is in position. Works well, but still have the boss as a back up.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #11

interesting !
so you are using basic trigonometry to git er done

line of sight from the mirror let's you line up to two points and you are there - cool !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #12

you bet, a real simple solution.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt View Post
I also back my coach into an RV storage area and it is son-of-a-gun to do. Like backing into a dark hole. It takes my wife bravely standing in the back with a radio for us to get it in. One thing I did that helps is to lay a rope on the drive in front of the garage that gives me something to line up the coach to. Helps me get it straight but is still a challenge.
When backing into a dark area, turn on your 4-way flashers. The blasts of red light helps see the distance.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #14

Ya, I kind of just ride the brake pedal with my left foot to keep the brake lights on to illuminate where I'm backing. Too bad the back up lights aren't a little brighter.