Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2020, 02:49 AM   #1

Westlake / Sailun comparison

As our time to be full-time RV livers draws near....I am getting the last of the work done to our RW...hopefully to reduce the risk of issues.....Replacing the Westlake tires that came on our 2015 (235/85/R16) with a set of Sailuns was high on our list. I decided to use a combination of using our landing / levelling gear with some well placed stands and jacks to remove all the wheels and take them to the tire shop for the swap....The difference in the side wall construction between the two brands of tires is very evident. The Westlakes are pretty soft compared to the Sailun replacements....Good I guess as that is where most of the blow out failure originates (sidewalls)....However the quality of ride may be another issue to be aware of... as with such stiff sidewalls must translate into a stiffer ride...especially when we are not going to up grade the suspension.(to an IS system). We really have only one 1200 mile trip planned then we will be quite stationary for a few years (movement might be 50 miles or less)...
Not terribly impressed with the 7k axle set up that came with our 2015...looks a little light duty for any real travel. ....I can see why so many do axle up grades..
Anyway ...Thankyou to the forum members for their input (Sailun tires).....I don't feel that the rubber is the weak link in the system now....Regards

Wes
2015 38RL 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:25 AM   #2

Ran my Sailun Hs at 115-120 psi due to loaded heavy fulltiming & honestly didn't notice the ride being stiffer, stuff bouncing off the walls or parts shaken up any worse the the Gs at 110 psi with the OEM 7k axles.
We had approximately 60k miles on our RW when sold with original axles, upgraded to disc brakes for about the last 8-10k miles & upgraded to the MorRyde heavy shackles with wet bolts at 5-6k miles, never had an issue with suspension for 6+ years of traveling.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #3

the weakest point in the 7K system is where the spring attach to the frame and the shackes . I had a set of springs go flat on the drivers side and broke the shackle on the passenger side rear. Luckly I was on my way to Morryde for IS install. Disk brakes are a huge improvement over 7K drums , IS is much more stable on rough roads. WIN WIN but its a good chunk of money. I did a 17.5 wheel upgrade also , to stop and tire failers with 16" tires. I scaled mine on the way out there , I was over the 16,500 rating on the trailer. I would suggest every one know how heavy they are running down the road not factory weights.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #4

At 115 psi, the quality of ride on the Sailuns is fine. Having been weighed, and almost to the max GVW, 115 is all we need and nothing bounces around more than it did before.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote