Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #1

Water Softener for RW

We live in our 38GK out in the mountains of Colorado. We are on well water and I am considering installing an RV water softener. How often do we have to add chemicals to the tank if we use it for our entire camper i.e. shower, drinking, all our water uses. Are they worth the expense and trouble to install?
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #2

I travel with a water softener, "On the go, double" that I purchased at https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com.

It uses standard table salt. The frequency of recharging is a function of the hardness of the water and the volume of use. Our clothes washer tends to run a bunch. In Arizona where water is fairly hard, I have recharged weekly. Areas with softer water, every few weeks to a month.

I did not install it in the rig. It just sits outside.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #3

We have been using the flow pur rv 10000 and love it. As mentioned by brenko, recharging depends on your water supply. ours is typically 1 a month. only takes about 15 minutes to recharge and 2 pounds of table salt.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #4

We also have the same softener, bought it at CW in Mesa to combat AZ's hard water. Have to recharge about once/month. Very pleased with how well it allows our dishwasher to clean.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
We also have the same softener, bought it at CW in Mesa to combat AZ's hard water. Have to recharge about once/month. Very pleased with how well it allows our dishwasher to clean.
Sure, rub it in that you have a dishwasher. We have a 2012 and I can't add one because of the cabinet.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #6

We have it as a separate exterior system as well. Recharge about once a month depending on usage and hardness. The model we use have worked perfect from day one (14 months ago) and we got it from Amazon with prime.

Model is: Flow-PUR RVPRO and we also added an extra water filter before the softener. So when it is time to change filter we take the interior filter and move it out.

But this is incredible over done just did it to avoid that the water softener fills up with crud.
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Bought this model from Dyers.

Flow-Pur RV-PRO Water Softener - RV Water Softeners - Plumbing

Works great. Recharge with table salt once a month. Use it in the desert. Reduces mineral build up at faucets and in the shower. Reduces skin irritation from hard water. Won't leave home without it!
Old 06-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
I travel with a water softener, "On the go, double" that I purchased at https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com.

It uses standard table salt. The frequency of recharging is a function of the hardness of the water and the volume of use. Our clothes washer tends to run a bunch. In Arizona where water is fairly hard, I have recharged weekly. Areas with softer water, every few weeks to a month.

Ken
I bought the same unit at Camping World last winter.

It' set up with salt when you buy it and it lasted almost 3 months before needing the initial regeneration (with 2 cans of table salt). It comes with water hardness test strip kit which I find is a more accurate indication of water hardness than the "feel" method. We have a washer and dryer (but no dish washer) and we used the RW shower exclusively during the period.

I suspect that subsequent regeneration cycles will be more frequent. I'm very happy with the unit.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post

Ken

We have the same unit. Recharge it once per month with 1 lb of non-iodized table salt. It takes me about 30 minutes overall. The unit is set outside next to the convenience center. We do not have a dish washer or washer/dryer. The softener has worked very well for 3 1/2 years.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #10

Thanks to all. I'm going forward with the purchase. Appreciate all the comments.
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote