Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #1

Water pump replacement;

We’re thinking about upgrading our water pump? We’re currently camping at a park where the pressure is worse than ANYWHERE we’ve ever stayed (we’re full timers). So we pretty much have to use our fresh water tank and water pump. So in the event that our pump (Shurflo 4008) goes out, we might want to with the “latest and greatest “?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #2

I never know how reliable magazine reviews are since they seem to be led by advertisers but this months Trailer Life (May 2018) has a review of several pumps. The specs might be helpful.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #3

same brand as the OEM would make the install easier , often times they share the same style in and out water fittings. On my last Holiday Rambler I went with a sureflow variable speed pump, the variable speed is nice to help stop water pulse from on and off or normal pumps. Also you can turn up the pressure on the existing pump if you feel its just a little low. My redwood pump turned on and off with a faucet opened up fully. I tested the out put pressure and the pump was turning off at 35psi . simply turning the screw on the pump switch I was able to push the turn on up to 37 and off to 45psi. now the pump stays running when the faucet is open fully.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:19 AM   #4

I think I stuck me foot in my mouth by even commenting on my pump...... I just flushed out the anti-freeze from last fall and the pump barely makes any pressure . So after looking into why I found the inlet strainer has a crack around the threads , I think I may have put it on to tight last fall after I inspected the screen. So It was easy enough to pull it out and bypass the inlet screen and get the pump lines cleanout but My wife now is saying the shower flow and pressure is way off from my old holiday Rambler ( I had a sureflow variable speed pump in that). So now I am going to upgrade the Redwood to a 4 GPM pump. Looking at the flow rate tables the stock 4008 pump at 2.5+gpm make less then 10psi . normal shower heads range from 1.8GPM to 2.5gpm , not much pressure compared to home. So I have elected to get the next size larger 4048 pump and put a accumulator in also to help with short run times during low flow. $230 later I will let you know how it works .
Old 05-14-2018, 12:29 AM   #5

4048 pump

over the weekend I replaced the stock 4008 pump with the next size larger 4048 and also added a small accumulator made by sureflow . With the OEM pump there wasn't enough volume to fill all the shower head jets and have enough pressure at full flow for the water to fall sideways. basically when the water left the shower head it fell strait down. Now the water fills all the jets and will project about 10" sideways then falls strait down. So its not as good as your home shower but better then it was. I may see if the bypass settings can be set higher but my guess is its about max for this pump. I would guess it produces about 25~30 psi at full flow where before I would guess around 10~15psi . the flow is very smooth and zero pulsating with the pump running.