Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #1

Anyone had an issue with the Check Valve between the water pump and fresh water tank leaking causing the park water connection to slowly fill-up the fresh water tank to the point of coming out the over flow?? Doesn't appear to do it all the time, easy temp solution is to close the winterizing valve to prevent back flow into the fresh water tank.
Edited by: mhs4771
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #2

You just reminded me I never closed the winterizing valve when I winterized. I guess the check valve held.

Is your winterizing valve on the face of the convenience center like they used to do, or behind the door inside the basement like mine?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #3

It's behind the basement wall, right between the water pump and the water line from the fresh water tank. So park fresh water is going backwards through the water pump, past the winterizing valve and into the fresh water tank. So I've closed that valve which isolates the fresh water tank from the rest of the plumbing. Works as a temp measure, just have to remember to open it back up before we hit the road Sat morning.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #4

sounds like indeed the check valve failed.

I'm scratching my head, why is there a winterizing valve? The winterizing hose must be between the check valve and the pump.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #5

By closing the winterizing valve, you force the pump to draw the Pink Koolaid in from the Winterizing hose and not air from the fresh water tank.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #6

mmmmm - I bet I messed up. There was water in the tank, so I probably drew from both the koolaid bottle and the water tank. It was most likely a diluted mix.

Oh well, good training session. I think it only got to 23 and its in a garage.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #7

The "Bypass" quarter turn valve in convienance center shuts off the hot water tank... ie bypasses it. To pump the pink stuff, drian all the water lines, open all the faucets (Both hot and cold) turn the bypass valve so you don't fill up the hot water thank with pink stuff, pull out the bottom hose out in the convienance center and put it in the gallon container of the pink stuff and turn on the water pump. Run it until you see pink stuff coming out of your faucets for both the hot and cold.Edited by: Adamsvr
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #8

Yep, I did have it in bypass on the hot water tank. It's the valve behind the small door in the basement that I forgot to close.As Michelle stated, I'm assuming that is the antifreeze valve, as Redwood used to put it on the panel under the bypass valve.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #9

There is a check valve in the head of the water pump that is supposed to keep the water from back filling into the tank. I had the problem when we were down In Texas last summer. I contacted shurflo with the problem,since I didn't want to pick up a go to a dealer just for that, and they said it sometimes gets debris in it from when the tank was installed and it can keep it from closing. They sent me a new head, a little time to make the switch, and problem solved.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #10

Ok my husband just asked me if I filled fresh water tank, he had it 1/3 full and now it's showing full, wth? So we have shut that valve too, as we will have to remember to open it before we travel, ugh!!!!!
pricelessdolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:12 AM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
You just reminded me I never closed the winterizing valve when I winterized. I guess the check valve held.

Is your winterizing valve on the face of the convenience center like they used to do, or behind the door inside the basement like mine?

Yea this happened to me now tank has been draining for about a year ,seems like

Should I replace the pump or and or a check valve from tiara?

Karl b. Dallas /austin
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus View Post
Yea this happened to me now tank has been draining for about a year ,seems like

Should I replace the pump or and or a check valve from tiara?

Karl b. Dallas /austin
How much water does your tank hold to be draining for a year?