Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2021, 03:16 PM   #1

Water pump

Hi, we just purchased a 2015 Redwood 38rl from a private party. This is our maiden voyage and we are full time until we purchase an acreage in TX, after the housing market settled down! Unfortunately we did not have the privilege of having it all hooked up and demonstrated for us, since they were 3 hours away and it was delivered for us. I did own a 2009 Open Range in the past but my partner, Jeff is a newbie but very mechanically inclined. He's been a truck driver for over 30 years..
We found a water leak on the city connection and are waiting for a part. In the meantime we put water in the fresh water tank and when we turn on the pump we get no pressure just a small trickle. Where is the pump located to check for suction? Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for your help.
shusfit@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #2

Behind the basement wall next to the convenience center is the pump, you'll likely have to take that wall down to repair the other issue & there's most likely a valve on the suction side of the pump that needs to be opened, my '13 FB did. That valve prevents the FW tank from filling when connected to city water.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:33 PM   #3

Thank you so much this helps a lot. I appreciate your time. We will be heading to Texas sometime this summer I see your name as traveling Texans so thought that was interesting. My daughter lives in Graham Texas.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shusfit@yahoo.com View Post
Thank you so much this helps a lot. I appreciate your time. We will be heading to Texas sometime this summer I see your name as traveling Texans so thought that was interesting. My daughter lives in Graham Texas.
Full timed for just over 10 years & settled back down in Arizona a couple years ago.
Often miss the RW & traveling, but life is ever changing.
Enjoy your RW & safe travels!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:56 AM   #5
Site Team

The valve that Danny is referring to is the valve that closes off water to the tank when winterizing. If it’s in the closed position, it can do what you described. Another thing to check is the end of the winterizing hose that comes into the wet bay. If the cap,is loose or if the seal is not good, that hose can suck air and cause the pump to lose prime partially.

The valve is located about 6” away from the pump. Just follow the pipe out from the pump and you’ll find it. You can reach it through the access door behind the wet bay.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:43 PM   #6

Thanks so much for your replies! We will be working on the issue tomorrow and hope to have it resolved.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:18 AM   #7

there is also a sediment separator on the suction side of the pump , I have see the clear bowl crack because it wasn't empty and froze over the winter. All it takes is a very small air leak on the suction side and it doesn't draw water out of the tank like it should.

this is the part I am talking about
https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-255-3...a-348982318523