Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 02:01 AM   #1

Water leak by head of bed 2016 38HRL

My wife Andrea and I recently purchased a 2016 Sequoia 38HRL. On our first trip, we noticed the carpet was wet between the head of the bed and the closet, by the front corner of the bedroom slide out. The D-seals attached to the RV to seal the slide out when closed were not properly seated and we had them fixed. We thought the problem was solved. When we returned from vacation, we took the RV to storage. Two weeks later while checking the RV, we noticed more water on the carpet. Has anybody had this problem and resolved it? Any information or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, John
John and Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Do you have the swintech or cable system. Some with the cable system have had water running down the cables into the trailer. Apparently some type of water stop was missing.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #3

Had a leak similar to yours. Check the strip that holds the roof membrane on the slide. The screws were over torqued and loose and water and got in there. I pulled the screws and filled holes with silicone and replaced screws. Seems to have stopped my leak. Good Luck
[SIGPIC]
Don and Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:37 AM   #4

I have a 2015 Sequoia 38QRE, and mine rained more inside than outside, I am still dealing with the issue, I think I found the problem, but I learned from other people on here that water will come in from one area of the roof and travel somewhere totally different, I found holes in the sealant on the front cap, and I think the water entered there and traveled to the chandelier, then came down the inside of the chandelier and dripped into the sink, very heavily, so check everywhere!!
azcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:10 AM   #5

My 2015 Sequoia had a leak on the right side of the bed against the main wall when the slide was out. The factory ended up removing the slide and re-did the gasket (D seals) and also re-installed some gasket material around the 4 cables on the outside. Seems to have stopped the leaking so far, but looking at all the "D" seals on all the slides, looks like I need to replace them soon. Most of the ends where it really gets compressed seems to be splitting those seals. Was thinking - one day - would be to spray in some black expanding foam inside them, then close the slide and let it setup in that compressed state, since I did buy 2 cans to reseal the rear underbelly after upgrading my tail lights.

Looks like we need a good source for those "D" seals soon.

Good Luck!!
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #6

[QUOTE=830hvacman;68523]My 2015 Sequoia had a leak on the right side of the bed against the main wall when the slide was out. The factory ended up removing the slide and re-did the gasket (D seals) and also re-installed some gasket material around the 4 cables on the outside. Seems to have stopped the leaking so far, but looking at all the "D" seals on all the slides, looks like I need to replace them soon. Most of the ends where it really gets compressed seems to be splitting those seals. Was thinking - one day - would be to spray in some black expanding foam inside them, then close the slide and let it setup in that compressed state, since I did buy 2 cans to reseal the rear underbelly after upgrading my tail lights.

Looks like we need a good source for those "D" seals soon.

Every time I take my new (2016) Redwood out on a trip or just check on it when in storage, I hold my breath wondering what's "going to go wrong next". I know that it's not unique to Crossroads, but it's a damn shame that we always have to wonder especially after spending the big bucks for these things. I've been thru a PITA bedroom slide leak issue that my dealer addressed & "so far- so good" but I'm not holding my breath. Water was entering thru where the slide cables go thru the seal (I believe) & there were also some tear(s) in the seal on top of the slide.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #7

Personally, I think the "D" seal system is a POS! My seals have been replaced once already under warranty and now 2 of the seals are split again. I like the DRV seal system, but I have not researched it enough to say it is problem free. On my prior 2004 Hitchhiker, I never had any problems with the slides sealing or deteriorating. As far as ease of replacement, I think the "D" seal may be better but who wants to replace every year or 2. They do make a "D" seal now with wings on it and I'm thinking it may prevent the splitting because the wings are on the sides where the "D" seal has to give when the slide is closed. I just haven't heard of anyone trying it yet. I've thought about adjusting the slide so it is not quite as tight when closed but then I worry about water intrusion................................can't win!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Andrea View Post
My wife Andrea and I recently purchased a 2016 Sequoia 38HRL. On our first trip, we noticed the carpet was wet between the head of the bed and the closet, by the front corner of the bedroom slide out. The D-seals attached to the RV to seal the slide out when closed were not properly seated and we had them fixed. We thought the problem was solved. When we returned from vacation, we took the RV to storage. Two weeks later while checking the RV, we noticed more water on the carpet. Has anybody had this problem and resolved it? Any information or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, John
Thanks for the replies. We are taking our Sequoia in to the shop for some warrenty work, the leak most important, and I will speak to them about these ideas. Hopefully this will correct the leak. I will post an update with info on the fix. Thanks, John
John and Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote