Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #1

We have the ability to run our water heater on electric or propane.

With the temps in Texas reaching into the 100+ area, the AC can't keep up. Does running the water heater on propane help this issue at all?

We've noticed that the water doesn't get as hot with propane and needs more time to recover once a shower is taken etc. Does the water heater heat more quickly if we turn on the electric and propane? Is there any risk or other reasons the water heater shouldn't be heated by electric and propane at the same time?
2015 Redwood RV (39MB)
GCAKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #2

I always thought the propane got the tank hotter, but maybe not. There should be non real impact to AC peformance by running the HW tank on electric, providing you are plugged into 50A service.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAKIA
We have the ability to run our water heater on electric or propane.

With the temps in Texas reaching into the 100+ area, the AC can't keep up. Does running the water heater on propane help this issue at all?

We've noticed that the water doesn't get as hot with propane and needs more time to recover once a shower is taken etc. Does the water heater heat more quickly if we turn on the electric and propane? Is there any risk or other reasons the water heater shouldn't be heated by electric and propane at the same time?
Yes you can run your hot water heater on propane and electric at the same time. The propane will usually heat the water faster so if you want fast recovery use the propane.

The only reason the propane would help with the Air conditioner is that the electric heating element will be eating up some of the amperage coming into the coach. Some of the parks in real hot weather don't have enough amperage even though they have 50 amp plugs due to all the a/c units being on at the same time.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #4

Dave, thanks for the insight. I was hoping for that answer. Recently we've used the propane to heat water for the first time. Always good to learn new things about your home.

By using both electric and propane, will it heat the water that much faster? My wife and I both work and taking showers with less wait time in between helps our schedule.
2015 Redwood RV (39MB)
Old 07-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #5

Appreciate your feedback Atom. Nice Redwood and truck!
2015 Redwood RV (39MB)
Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Dave, thanks for the insight. I was hoping for that answer. Recently we've used the propane to heat water for the first time. Always good to learn new things about your home.

By using both electric and propane, will it heat the water that much faster? My wife and I both work and taking showers with less wait time in between helps our schedule.
Also something to consider.....a lot of us have replaced our shower heads with the "Oxygenic" shower head from Camping World. They work a lot better and use less water while doing a better job. $50 well spent in my opinion.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Appreciate your feedback Atom.Â* Nice Redwood and truck!
Hey thanks!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #8

There are several different ways to go with the water heater. Depending on the situation, I think we have done all of them at one time or another. Normally we run the water heater on electric. If we are going to use a lot of hot water, we will turn the propane on at the same time. It will heat the water faster and you can use more water before it starts getting too cool. We have run just propane when needed. What we will usually do then is shut the heater off after getting done showering and turn it back on about a half hour before we need use a lot of hot water again. Will both the electric and propane off, the water heater will keep the water warm for a long time. If your electric is heating faster than propane, there is something wrong. Have never spent the summer in Texas, but have spent the winter. There are some days in Nov. & March where the temp gets close to the 100's. Most of the water lines aren't that deep, and sometimes the water coming in is almost warm enough to take a shower without the water heater on.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #9

Regarding: "Oxygenic" shower head from Camping World

Placed my order yesterday. Thanks!
2015 Redwood RV (39MB)
Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #10

X2 on the Oxygenics...and it has a shut-off valve to conserve that hot water.

JJ
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

x2 on the Oxygenics I take long showers just like I do at home...Take a seat on the built in seat in the FB and enjoy...Never have run out of hot water and so far have only used electric
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #12

TMI Royce - TMI
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #13

Electric on the parks dime.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #14

We have never run out of hot water in our GK either. Showers, laundry, dishwasher, and still hot water. It gets hot really quickly also.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy
In a park that charges for electricity, for penny pinchers out there you can google on-line for a calculation that compares your propane cost and electricity cost and lets you know if you should run the water heater on propane or not. Also applies to running supplementary electric heat vs. the furnace.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy
In a park that charges for electricity, for penny pinchers out there you can google on-line for a calculation that compares your propane cost and electricity cost and lets you know if you should run the water heater on propane or not. Also applies to running supplementary electric heat vs. the furnace.
Almcc,

Know this an old post but do you happen to have a specific web address for the calculation you mention above? Thanks in advance.Edited by: Oregonbound
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #17

I've copied a link below to another web forum that gives some simplified comparison calculations. The question about the heating efficiency of a propane furnace is debatable, I use a 50% efficiency, others use 80%. Hopefully you can read it without joining IRV2.

I had a more detailed formula that I used, but I couldn't find the website link

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/is-propane-a-more-economical-heating-source-than-electricity-79987.html

Here is another more simple commentary:

http://www.rollinrollin.com/electricorpropane.htm

Edited by: almcc