Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #1

Water entering unit upon retracting slides

We were recently camped for about a week and encountered quite a bit of rain. Upon retracting the slides quite a bit of water dumped off of the top of the slide to the interior of the unit. Anybody have this problem?

The next time it rained I retracted the rear jacks and extended the landing gear,
putting the unit in a nose-high attitude to dump the water off of the slide before putting the unit back to level and retracting the slides. Is this a good procedure???
TexasRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #2

We've had this problem after a rain (or after a snowfall!). The amount isn't large, we have some scrap towels that we use to mop up the water at the next stop. retracting the slides eliminates most of the water.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:54 PM   #3

I use this procedure after heavy rains also to dump water off slide awnings. Mine usually only leaks on the rear of the door side slide.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:11 AM   #4

Thanks for the response. I really don't want any water on the interior. It is so destructive. My main problem area is also the rear of the door side slide.
TexasRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #5

i had the same problem my door side slide had to be adjusted it was back to for had to forward 1 inch
gman020539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRver View Post
We were recently camped for about a week and encountered quite a bit of rain. Upon retracting the slides quite a bit of water dumped off of the top of the slide to the interior of the unit. Anybody have this problem?

The next time it rained I retracted the rear jacks and extended the landing gear,
putting the unit in a nose-high attitude to dump the water off of the slide before putting the unit back to level and retracting the slides. Is this a good procedure???

I have used the procedure of lifting the front end of the coach to dump water off the slide toppers for 4 years. This winter while in Florida, I have dumped the the toppers 4 or 5 times using this procedure. Tomorrow morning, I will likely have to do this again (it is supposed to rain tonight) before putting in the slides. Since we are preparing to pull out tomorrow morning, I will then use a squeegee and towel to remove the water from the end of the slides before putting in the slides.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #7

Water entering upon retracting

I bought a blower, and have a fold up ladder, that I plan on using to blow off awnings and use to blow clean top of slide before I close them, haven't encountered the rain problem yet, as I am still new to this, but will let you know if it works, seems like it should.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
I bought a blower, and have a fold up ladder, that I plan on using to blow off awnings and use to blow clean top of slide before I close them, haven't encountered the rain problem yet, as I am still new to this, but will let you know if it works, seems like it should.
I carry a 6' aluminum ladder that I keep in the basement (hope to replace with telescoping ladder when we go fulltime), and use the ladder next to the ladder on the Redwood. It makes it much easier to get on the roof. I also have a small electric blower I use to blow off the slide tops and roof before I retract the slides. Also gives me a chance to look at the roof caulking while up there. I like the idea of raising the front to drain water off if it has rained.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:07 PM   #9

The nice thing about the auto-level to dump slides is no ladder required just a key & right/left index finger.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote