Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #1

Wastewater Pipe for Washer - 2011 36RL Model

Hi everyone. I posted about this a few years ago, and we finally resolved our issue last month. We had an awful sewer smell in the bedroom and always thought there was a problem with the gray water or black water tank. We took it to the RV repair shop to fully investigate, and it turns out that the piping for the wastewater for the washer connection is located directly under the bed. Redwood used hard piping, and since it’s on top of the slide, every time it moved, it moved the pipe, and eventually disconnected it. Thank the Lord we never had a washer/dryer because it would have flooded the entire camper. Since it was disconnected, it was emitting the awful sewer smell. Luckily, the RV shop repaired with flexible piping, so there will be no more issues. I contacted CrossRoads about this design flaw, and they refused to offer anything as it is no longer under warranty. Disappointed on that point, but I wanted to pass along this info in case anyone else has this issue. Hopefully this will help you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0535DEA4-357D-4AD4-86F6-892D00240F41.jpg (207.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 9D6FEDA9-7062-4B42-8CC2-188F935F613C.jpg (150.7 KB, 34 views)
Jewelkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #2

We did have the "Flood" in our '12 36RL because it did pull apart and we had the washer running. I devised a fix and sent all the info to RW, but to my knowledge they never corrected the issue as I've read post from folks with newer units that have had the same problem.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #3

Yep, if you had installed the washer you would have had it fixed in 2011

We saw it posted here (on the old site) and fixed it on our 36RL maiden voyage before ever turning on the washer. Found some seeping ABS plastic connections too where they didn't use glue all of the way around.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #4

Smile bedroom washer flood

been there, what a mess,

cut off old pvc compression fittings

mail ordered and replaced with 1.5" pvc female hose barbs and some vinyl flex reinforced hose
the new hose was a very snug fit ,on barbs

had to use a heat gun on vinyl hose to soften and some soap to assemble ,out of bed frame area first lot easier and fitting all that together before finally gluing it up.

and used double clamps, bulletproof now

replaced plastic water fittings with sharkbite all brass as needed too

OEM poor design had a vinyl flex hose with compression fittings "no washers" from a sink fitting, installed rubber washers it lasted till next slide extension then they came apart too,
fitting that would come and did apart by a gentle tug ,
bad design and a must do upgrade if u have one of these models
flooded carpet sucks.

karl b.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #5

it looks like it was never cleaned and glued! ABS (black PVC) needs special glue and it cures in about 10~15 mins , its about two time longer then PVC glue cure time. If cleaner was not used it most likely will not hold even if it was glued. The EPA took all the solvents out of everything years ago and the glues Must be used as the directions state. The cleaner must be used on both sides of the joint and glue must be applied to both side of the joint. Then the parts need to be held in place for about 1 min to they don't push apart while curing. If all this is done the joint will hold and the fitting or pipe will break NOT the joint , skip any part of this and it my hold water but the joint will be the point of failer not the pipe or fitting.

Glad to here you found your issue , to bad it could have been prevented. Maybe it was a Monday morning project after the world series or super bowl !
Old 10-31-2018, 08:36 PM   #6

I have a 2017 38rl and we were fortunate enough to find this problem before we used our washer. In my case there was a fitting with a round hole that the flex pipe was stuck in and a clamp to hold it down to the floor of the slide. When we found it the pipe had pulled out of the hole when we operated the bedroom slide. We took the fitting off and found new fittings with a barbed end that screwed on to the pipe and then bought new flex hose about a foot longer to prevent any stress when the slide is operated.
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:17 AM   #7

It's really a shame, this problem has been with certain models since "Day One" of RW
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #8

That along with the shower not being sealed at the bottom are the two biggest issues that I have found. I even contacted Redwood and talked to them about fixing my slide issue at the factory and they wouldn't do it. I think that any issues that comes back to the factory has to be arranged by a dealer, at least that was the case with a fellow that I talked to in West Yellowstone.
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #9

I was so happy to find this Forum before we purchased our RW. This is one of the items we inspected and had the Dealer change before we would sign off on the trailer. Knowing what to look for was so helpful and I went back and looked at most of the posts to get a idea of things that I needed to pay attention to. Thanks to you all for sharing