Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

Warranty Topic Issues

I'm disappointed that the Moderator decided to close the 200 mile brake thread, but maybe as a non-Redwood owner they just don't understand.

I still think we need to hear if any of these warranty issues are being resolved, or if there are new issues out there so they can be discussed at the Rally.

I haven't heard anything back positive yet.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Brad,

I'm glad you started another thread

The "200 mile brake inspection" was about warranty issue with the brakes. However if a potential buyer of a new Redwood had warranty concerns or questions, they wouldn't have looked under the "200 mile brake inspection " thread which was very limited and didn't cover other issues.

As I have said in the past, I believe warranty and customer support is the number one reason someone chooses a particular brand of an RV. Redwood management now knows the perception amongst it's owners toward their handling of the brake inspection. Now it's up to them to either correct any misinformation or better explain their position. They have a job to do because in life, perception is reality, especially in sales and marketing.

As for closing the thread......

on most forums, after a thread starts weaving around in topic, or has ran it's course, it's closed. On this forum, the owner has allowed us to run it as we have, which we've actually gotten a lot of flack on over time. I personally don't like "prim and proper" forums because I feel better friendships are built without some on the starched collars. I personally can only remember closing 4 threads over the years.....that's pretty liberal for an old conservative like me.

You're right though....I no longer have a Redwood but I'm still trying to help my fellow RVers who do.

I wish you well
Old 07-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

Just throwing my reply in here because this is an important issue and I want to keep informed. I encourage everyone to do the same. I want to hear all about warranty, good, bad, denials, approvals, everything. Warranty is THE REASON we chose Redwood, PERIOD. If it is not what we were promised, then I need to know. I also would love to learn that we were smart shoppers. We shall see. When we are in (TONS) of conversations with other RVers who have SOB or are looking for a new rig, warranty IS THE TOPIC of conversation. Thanks.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
Old 07-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
Just throwing my reply in here because this is an important issue and I want to keep informed. I encourage everyone to do the same. I want to hear all about warranty, good, bad, denials, approvals, everything. Warranty is THE REASON we chose Redwood, PERIOD. If it is not what we were promised, then I need to know. I also would love to learn that we were smart shoppers. We shall see. When we are in (TONS) of conversations with other RVers who have SOB or are looking for a new rig, warranty IS THE TOPIC of conversation. Thanks.
I have commended Redwood in the past and since you are relatively new to this forum I will commend them once again. When I purchased my 31SL in early 2013 there were several minor issues that were not taken care of at the purchasing dealer. It wasn't that they weren't willing to try, and try they did twice and still didn't get it right. I fixed the minor problems myself, no real big deal. I did however have some issues with some of the slide seals and the eternal bond tape at the outer edge of the slide roofs. I didn't want to take it back to the purchasing dealer because of prior experiences so I contacted Redwood to see where I could take it for warranty work. They recommended a small Mom and Pop dealer in Texas. The repair work was so bad that I received a fifth wheel back in worse shape than when I took it in. I contacted Redwood Customer Service and was constantly told they would get back with me on a solution. The Customer Service MGr, Mr. Drinkwine at the time apparently was the problem. I finally called Redwoodand asked for the General Mgr and was immediately connected to Jim Lazzarino who listened to my desperate
plea for help and within an hour of hanging up the phone I was called back by Mr. Drinkwine who informed me that Redwood was going to come to me and pick up my 31SL, take it back to the Service Center and repair the repairs. They did, and I went to the Service Center and picked up my coach a week after it arrived at the Center. The repairs were outstanding and their crew went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure I was happy with the repairs. That's Customer Service. I will go on to say that approximately 4 months ago I noticed the front cap of my non- full body paint 31SL was fading. I again contacted the Customer Service and was asked to send pictures and estimates from local paint shops to get it painted. It was approved and painted locally. Again, That's Customer Service. I will say that it wasn't always easy getting the repairs done but in each case Redwood did what was right. Mr. Lazzarino has always stepped up to the plate when asked. Take pictures, document issues, go up the chain if you have to and be cordial.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #5

I remember that - the small shop used Lap sealant or something on your seals didn't they Rick? I remember it was a mess.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I remember that - the small shop used Lap sealant or something on your seals didn't they Rick? I remember it was a mess.
Yes, I actually had provided them with the Alpha Ply lap sealant and told them to use it on the roof if needed because that is what Alpha recommends. They argued with me that Dicor was thecaulk of choice but I insisted they use my provided Alpha sealant. They replaced 2 upper slide seals as needed and tried to seal them to the sidewall using the Alpha Lap Sealant. Needles to say, it looked like "****"! I asked them about it and they said "You told us to use the Alpha". I said, "No", "I told you to use the Alpha on the roof if needed". I said," you couldn't see how terrible this looks?". At that point I just wanted to get the Redwood away from their hands. They also replaced two top strips of eternal-bond on the slide roofs and in doing so pulled the alpha roof loose. When I initially contacted the Customer Service, Mr Drinkwine was insisting that Itake itback to the same dealer for correct repairs. I refused and come to find out after Redwood contacted them they didn't want it back either. That is when I finally called the General Manager for help. The Service Center ended up replacing 2 slide roofs and the slide seals. They did a fantastic job!!
Old 07-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #7

I don't want to jump to a conclusion too fast, but it sounds like issues that are limited to Redwood assembly get repaired (even though it may take a call to Jim), but issues that involve other vendors (Lippert so far) are denied based on the Vendor disposition.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm disappointed that the Moderator decided to close the 200 mile brake thread, but maybe as a non-Redwood owner they just don't understand.

I still think we need to hear if any of these warranty issues are being resolved, or if there are new issues out there so they can be discussed at the Rally.

I haven't heard anything back positive yet.
Just had bearings repacked on 2014 36rl,12000 mi.approx.Shop called and said brakes on one wheel only,down to metal.Redwood Warranty said oh you didn't have them checked and adjusted every 3000mi.sorry no can help?? Ya,sure on trip last year to Wash.from Mi.I should have stopped in Butte ,Montana to get brakes checked and adjusted. Thanks AA for your comments,help and humor.I agree why is a non owner a moderator,he has no dog in our fights,in a restaurant or out,ha,ha.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:43 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
" I finally called Redwoodand asked for the General Mgr and was immediately connected to Jim Lazzarino who listened to my desperate
plea for help and within an hour of hanging up the phone I was called back by Mr. Drinkwine who informed me that Redwood was going to come to me and pick up my 31SL, take it back to the Service Center and repair the repairs. "

Another good news/ bad news warranty report. Good news that you got it fixed. Bad news it took a call to the general manager. That's NOT customer service where I come from
Old 07-20-2015, 10:43 PM   #10

I'm going to have to step up and come to the "non owner" moderator's defense (even though he doesn't need it). I've been on these forums for almost two years now and I've lost count the number of people and subjects he has helped during that time. Just because he no longer owns a Redwood, hasn't made him our enemy. There's my .02. He has helped me personally several times with questions and problems, and I'm forever grateful.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Old 07-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #11
Site Team

x2 Dave is still here because he still is interested in the well being of Redwood owners. He's probably one of the most knowledgeable RV people I've ever met and I feel honored to call him a friend.

And ~ FWIW ~ I was about to shut down the 200 mile thread also as it had run it's course. I do feel that we as a forum need to keep track of the warranty issues . It is in all our best interest to keep abreast of how the builder handles issues ~ Good and Bad.

My .02
Old 07-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerLar View Post
.....I agree why is a non owner a moderator,he has no dog in our fights,in a restaurant or out,ha,ha.
You all must not know Dave very well. The truth is, with his insight and wisdom, we are very lucky to have him on this forum, despite the fact he became a MH traitor a few months ago.

Dave, who we did not know prior to joining the forum, is the reason why we personally have not only our Redwood, but also our truck. Dave is the person who has guided us on fixing the various issues we've had with our unit, fortunately all minor. I can't tell you how many times Vaughan had a question and Dave would say, "call me on my cell and I'll talk you through it." And how many others has he helped like that on this forum? Dave is the person who literally got on the ground at last year's Rally and helped someone new to the rally with a major issue they had with their rig. A stranger then, a friend of Dave's now. Speaking of the rally, Dave is probably one of the main reasons that we even have a rally. And despite no longer owning a Redwood, he'll be in attendance this year and I have no doubt his will be one of the very vocal voices on the warranty issue.

Oh, and my favorite Dave story: at last year's rally, a 9 month old puppy belonging to an Open Range camper took off like a flash during the fireworks. The distraught owner came over to our campfire group and asked if we had seen his puppy, which we hadn't. Hearing this, Dave said, "You lost your dog? Well, let's go see if we can find it," and immediately got up and started a protracted search. That's the kind of person he is.

He has a dog in this fight because he cares and we're all fortunate he does. So let's not take our frustration with Redwood out on our allies, please.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
I don't believe a non Redwood owner should be blocking or censoring current owners from a most interesting and revealing discussion. It seems there are more cases of brake problems coming to the fore and maybe the discussion and the tone of it will have some effect on RW changing their response to the dangerous situation created.

Nobody is questioning Dave's sincerity or qualifications. I was personally very interested in the 200 mile thread because I suffered this problem and thought maybe I was alone. Now I know it was and is an on
going problem.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
I'm going to have to step up and come to the "non owner" moderator's defense (even though he doesn't need it). I've been on these forums for almost two years now and I've lost count the number of people and subjects he has helped during that time. Just because he no longer owns a Redwood, hasn't made him our enemy. There's my .02. He has helped me personally several times with questions and problems, and I'm forever grateful.
You are absolutely correct
X2
Old 07-20-2015, 11:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
I don't believe a non Redwood owner should be blocking or censoring current owners from a most interesting and revealing discussion. It seems there are more cases of brake problems coming to the fore and maybe the discussion and the tone of it will have some effect on RW changing their response to the dangerous situation created.

Nobody is questioning Dave's sincerity or qualifications. I was personally very interested in the 200 mile thread because I suffered this problem and thought maybe I was alone. Now I know it was and is an on
going problem.
Actually, I agree with your concerns, minus the part about a "non-Redwood owner." Unless a thread deteriorates to the point of name-calling and insults, I don't think it should be shut down.

I suspect Piper Guy and I can debate this over cocktails.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:24 PM   #16

Dave has been a good guy on the forum and has been here to help plenty. I made the comment because I was frustrated the thread was closed and perhaps read it as Dave really doesn't have a dog in the show anymore so why is he stepping into our desperation to get this resolved -

I'll have a cocktail as well and give it a pause - this thread works just as well as the other so we can move on.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:32 PM   #17

I am still kind of new to the forum, but have read many replies Dave has posted and have learned plenty. I also believe many people that don't own RW's, but may be interested in them come to this forum to learn about them. I know I did.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 07-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Dave has been a good guy on the forum and has been here to help plenty. I made the comment because I was frustrated the thread was closed and perhaps read it as Dave really doesn't have a dog in the show anymore so why is he stepping into our desperation to get this resolved -

I'll have a cocktail as well and give it a pause - this thread works just as well as the other so we can move on.
Understandable that you're frustrated. This warranty issue should be on the front burner until a satisfactory response is received from Redwood. I'm not sure why the thread was closed and do not agree with that decision.

That being said, Dave has been pretty vocal on the issue in favor of the owners. Let's not lose sight of that. And Brad, I recall you expressing concerns that this would not be addressed during the Redwood meeting at the Rally. Well I can't imagine for one minute that Dave won't have something to say about this situation and the only ones who will be heard to complain that he doesn't have a dog in this fight will be the Redwood personnel.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:06 AM   #19
Site Team

Folks lets all take a deep breath here....I truly appreciate all the kind words but remember, WE ALL HELP EACH OTHER. That's the code of all campers regardless of the type or brand of RV they have.

I really hope that Redwood addresses the worry and concerns of it's owners and if they don't I feel that they're making a big mistake. I've talked with Jim Lazzorino in the past and I think he's a good guy and hope he can calm people down. I'm fearful for the owners of the Redwoods simply because there seems to be a policy change and I hope I'm wrong.

As for the Rally......I'm sorry folks, but I'm not planing on being at any of the Redwood functions. Since I'm not an owner anymore I just don't think it would be a proper thing to do. I'm simply going to the Rally to see my friends. I'll help anybody there because that's what I do, but if I went to the group activities, I'd be like a party crasher. Oh I'll have a few drinks and yes I can get vocal (I've worked hard to overcome my shyness) but my goal is to see my friends.

Hope to see everybody there........safe travels to all
Old 07-21-2015, 12:17 AM   #20

My bad and our loss.
Closed Thread