Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 07:24 AM   #1

Warranty question

Can someone tell me more about the Redwood warranty? When I purchased my 38 GK last May. I was given Redwood lit. that explain there was 2+5 warranty. But I had to bring it in each year for a annual checkup. Ok, doesn't matter that the first 30 weeks I owned this beauty it spent 22 weeks in the service center for warranty work. Now I called this week and my dealer sends me these 3 levels of maintenance agreements which I must choose and purchase one of them in order for me to have this warranty. Is that right? The agreements are not cheap. i am of the mind to just purchase a Big Sam's coverage and be done with anything to do with this dealer or Redwood. What am I missing? Most of what these maintenance agreements do I already do myself. Sanitize the fresh water system, check the wheel bearings and repack them. Tork the lug nuts, do a go camping check up. WHAT?? why should i have to pay for things that I feel are already my responsibility? Plus leave it on the dealers service lot for a few weeks and run the risk of damage and or stolen power cords and other items. Am i being unreasonable?
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #2

The basic Redwood warranty is 2 years from the date of purchase, not a whole lot to the 5 years warranty as explained by Redwood Management last year. (plenty of loop holes that gets Redwood out of the 5 year coverage)
If you are still in the 2 years of coverage after purchase date, a Redwood or Crossroads dealer should cover and take care of warranty issues without you having to purchase any type of extended coverage.
Buying a maintenance agreement that covers items you already do seems silly, sounds like you are looking for an extended warranty coverage for items that break down or fail, not a maintenance agreement to cover routine items you are already doing.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #3

Sounds like the Dealership has their own Maintenance Program Plan for those who can't or don't want to complete routine servicing on their rigs. This would be separate from the manufacturers warranty. If you do your own servicing, I think it would be a waste of money (my Dealership experiences lead me to believe you could do a better job of servicing your unit anyway).

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
Site Team

The 2 year warranty was supposed to cover from "pin to rear bumper" and the 5 year was structural. However the owner had to go into a dealership each year for a roof inspection which many people complained about due to the dealers not all charging the same and not everybody getting the same level of service.

At the 2015 Rally, Redwood removed the 5 year warranty on all the new RVs but explained that the older or unsold units would be grandfathered into the 5 year warranty plan. This was a smoke and mirror dance from Redwood.

As for your dealer, it sounds like he's trying to sell something
Old 04-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #5

I believe the required annual inspection was also dropped as criteria to continue the warranty. The owner was still responsible for maintaining the roof and other maintenance needed but it was no longer a mandated documented requirement. The documentation for the annual inspection was dropped in early 2015 I believe. The jury is still out on the structural 5 year warranty for us that supposedly had such a warranty. Redwood has virtually found every excuse to refuse structural responsibility. Every item seems to be a fight and decided on an individual basis.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
What year is your trailer . Did you buy new in may. If new you will be covered by a 2 year warrenty and your dealer is trying to take your money for nothing. If bought used that's another story
Old 04-13-2016, 10:24 PM   #7

warranty question

Shane,

I purchased it brand new in May of 2015. I was given the material which stated the 2+5 warranty. I was told in order for my warranty to remain intact that I had to bring it in annually for inspection. However I had to have my roof completely replaced under warranty during this year. I believe they are just trying to sell me some ocean front property in Arizona.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Yup you got it. Your 2+5 is good as mine is and you do not have to go for a yearly checkup at the dealer to keep the warrenty in effect
Old 04-14-2016, 12:46 AM   #9

If possible I think I'd be looking for a new Dealer.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:37 AM   #10

LOL you have to laugh at some things. You just can't make these things up..... So I called the dealer back today and spoke with the service dept once again. I took extra care to explain that i was not calling with a current problem. That I was only calling about the remaining factory warranty from REDWOOD. " I do not wish to purchase a service contract for 500-1000 dollars." I am only asking, do I have to bring my RW in for a annual inspection? May 10th I will have owned my RW for a year. She again started to explain that they required a service contract. So I transferred to a Sales Manager. Who seemed to know just a little more. But referred me to the Service manager. As usual I am still waiting on a return call. I have now talked with 3 different people who should know something. But nobody seems to be able to give me a concert answer. I would change dealers. But I have not choice. The next closest dealer is 5 hours away.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #11

I got my 2015 36rl in Sep. 2014, and my literature says it's a 2 year "bumper to bumper", and says nothing about the +5.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #12

Again, to me is sounds more like them trying to sell a Service Contract versus provide info on a manufacturer's warranty. As with many dealerships, customer service ends AFTER the sale! How frustrating.

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #13

I took receipt of my 2016 in July of 15... At first, my dealer told me I had a 1 year warranty ( she was new) so I questioned it... The regular salesperson came over and explained that I will have a 2 year warranty....

IF I wanted , we could talk about an extended warranty , OR service contract.. I opted for neither.

The dealer about 1-1/4 hours to my west gives a LIFETIME warranty on every coach sold... No way out of it, BUT thier price is dramatically higher.....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #14

Warranty question answered.

So I spoke with the Service manager at Primeaux RV in Lafayette, La. This morning. Very nice gentleman and seemed to have his act together. His word concerning the Crossroads Redwood is this. 1 year warranty from the date of purchase. Appliances and components are different. They are covered by the manufactures warranty. So no 2 year warranty any longer according to him. And they are no longer a Redwood dealer!!! so my closest stealership now is 4+ hours away. So case closed. I do not have to take it in for a inspection. I will have a extended warranty through someone like GoodSam's. And then I will take it wherever I so desire for any work that I cannot do myself.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #15

I don't think he is telling you right. You need to call Redwood customer service and get the facts from them as far as warranty is concerned. It will be in your best interest.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #16

On redwoods site it states warranties. 2 year limited. And 1 year roadside.

Dependable Warranties :: Redwood RV

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #17
Site Team

I agree! I don't believe Redwood would drop their 2 year warranty. Call the factory service center.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #18
Site Team

Same here ~ call the factory. I don't think he has his facts straight. Also, RW customer service can direct you to a Crossroads Dealer that might be closer. Any Crossroads dealer can do warranty work and in a pinch, RW has been known to authorize Mobile Techs and RV Service Centers
Old 04-18-2016, 10:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzby View Post
Again, to me is sounds more like them trying to sell a Service Contract versus provide info on a manufacturer's warranty. As with many dealerships, customer service ends AFTER the sale! How frustrating.

Bob
I didn't buy from Colerain in Cincinnati OH., but they have been great in servicing my warranty issues.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:03 AM   #20

Dishwasher Handle Snapped Off

Hi Everyone;

Went to pull open the DW drawer and the handle snapped off in my hand. I was annoyed but I am still under warranty so no big panic. I contacted my (excellent) service center and he said no problem, I will get authorization. He contacted me a few hours later and told me that RW DECLINED the claim, forwarded their email to me (he was surprised) They said, and I quote: ***Denied sorry unable to assist with your request damage is not covered under warranty after unit is sold.

First of all, this isn't DAMAGE, it BROKE under normal use. I didn't hit it with a HAMMER.

This is shocking to me. Anyone else seeing new issues with Warranty Claims? EVERYTHING is covered for the first two years. PERIOD.

What do they mean "after the unit is sold." TO WHOM? ME?? I am the original owner. Obviously I will be calling first thing Monday morning.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote