Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2021, 09:46 PM   #1

Warranty

We recently purchased a 2018 Redwood 3991RD
We purchased an extended warranty that covers everything you could possibly think of. Plus an exterior and interior protection treatment. Tires. Roadside service. Technical 24/7. All electric, ac/ heat. Plumbing. Appliances. Slide-outs etc. We paid $7000 for the 5 year plan. Did we get duped?
Lori Ann Forehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:19 PM   #2

Only you can say Yes or No, but for me personally I would say yes. We probably haven't spent $2000 on repair items in 6 years and 50K miles which included 2 windows, Water heater, and slide gear packs, but there was never any service charges because I did all the work.
We have a savings account that is our fall back on a large out of pocket expense and haven't needed to dip into it yet, so I feel we are way ahead of the game.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:48 AM   #3

I would say yes as well. Had our RW over 5 years and only minor issues that would have been covered under that 5 years. Items like tires brakes and suspension issues are not covered under any warranty's I have seen. I bet our out of pocket was less than 2k for any issues that would have been in your warranty.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:18 AM   #4

You need to read your policy VERY carefully, especially th fine print...
Most of those require an annual inspection & any/all repairs performed by an "authorized facility" or warranty is void. Never seen nor heard of one that covered suspension, tires or any other items due to normal wear.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:09 AM   #5

Extended warranties...can / are quite personal."IF" you are able to do general maintenance....no what to look for to head off bigger issues, "handy" have (and know how to use) basic tools.....etc....etc. Extended warranties are most times not worth it....But have water damage on the floor of one or more of your slides that need repair (proper repair often needs the slide rooms to be removed)...that $7K is gone.
At the dealership I worked at ....extended warranties often purchased on Class A, DP motor homes....less on 5'vers....even less on TT's.
Are they worth the paper they are written on ? Many of the warranty suppliers have fine print that gets them off the hook on many repairs...Yours sounds expensive....maybe thats not the case..Remember just because you may have your repair covered in your warranty does't mean you have any control of how long the repair will take. I have heard stories of people waiting for weeks or months to get things done. If it gives you piece of mind...less worry...and in turn brings more good times to your RV lifestyle...could be for you guys...money well spent...Have fun out there !
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:29 PM   #6

You may be able to cancel your plan with a small fee. IF YOU USE IT ONCE, you will be locked in. Keep the money in your pocket Just In Case... we had one of those warranty plans and it cost us too much when they covered only $16 on a new waste valve replacement. Keep a credit card with no balance as your backup plan. You could probably replace EVERYTHING in the RV and barely reach $7k. It's a travel trailer, not a motorized vehicle.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:36 PM   #7

Probably Paid TOO MUCH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Ann Forehand View Post
We recently purchased a 2018 Redwood 3991RD
We purchased an extended warranty that covers everything you could possibly think of. Plus an exterior and interior protection treatment. Tires. Roadside service. Technical 24/7. All electric, ac/ heat. Plumbing. Appliances. Slide-outs etc. We paid $7000 for the 5 year plan. Did we get duped?
First off, did you buy it from the dealer or thru an online extended warranty company (and NOT GOOD SAMS)!?? Did you pay Cash for it or finance the $7000 into your loan if you have one?? If you financed it, the warranty runs out in 5 years and you will still be paying for it.

If you purchased from the Dealer, you have to understand, the dealership gets a BIG CUT from that extended warranty! More money in their pocket, and of course they will not tell you that!

Extended warranties are not worth the paper they are written on in most cases and the warranty company can deny any claim you make and many times they do, if it is a BIG Repair or Big Ticket Item, like a Refrigerator.

You should be able to get a PRO-RATED Refund for this policy and like someone else said here, put it in a Maintenance SLUSH Fund for down the road!

Hope this helps.
JSTorsrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
You need to read your policy VERY carefully, especially th fine print...
Most extended warranties of those require an annual inspection & any/all repairs performed by an "authorized facility" or warranty is void. Never seen nor heard of one that covered suspension, tires or any other items due to normal wear.

I floated the idea of an extended warranty when we purchased our new RW back in 2017, yet once I began to read the fine print of "requiring an annual inspection", I canned the idea. I also was concerned at the many things that weren't covered, plus RW has a two year warranty themselves, which meant I had double coverage for those first two years. We found that within those two years, you're going to encounter most problems, and those would be covered under RW's warranty. I believe most would agree, as owners, it behooves one to do good diligence in inspecting your unit periodically, do the maintenance and be aware of potential problems as you would your own home. Therefore, when I see a problem, I can usually handle it myself with a little time and sometimes, using YouTube. Recently, we had an issue with a slide that required more muscle and skill than I could muster, so I subsequently paid out of pocket (less than $400) to have the problem repaired. Interestingly, that particular repair would not have been covered and was done by a highly recommended RV repair service that wasn't listed as an "authorized service facility. They did a remarkably good job and we're more than satisfied. In addition, if we chose to trade and purchase new, the remainder of the extended warranty could roll over to the new, but that would mean we'd be doubling up on warranty again. So, where's the upside?

I know it's intimidating spending the kind of money on an RV and then wondering about eventual expenses down the road. Extended warranties do offer a peace mind, should an unexpected large expense come up. I've heard of people being very happy with an extended warranty and swear by it. We chose not to enroll, but it doesn't mean that's right for everyone. Only you can relate to that concern.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:41 PM   #9

It's a '18 model so unless it's been parked stationary for the last 3+ years then most of the bugs will have been found & taken care of provided the PO did the usual required annual maintenance.
Not to mention even with the warranty you'll still have out of pocket deductible which in some cases be more than the fix if you did it yourself.
All this depends on if you're physically &/or mechanically inclined to do the work yourself, if not the warranty may be the only good choice.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-30-2021, 07:11 PM   #10

Only time will tell. The 2017+ seem to have more issues than older ones. We have purchased a 2015 that has been under warranty since day 1 and has 3 more years of transferable warranty. The owner had anything that popped up replaced under his warranty. Didn’t put things off because he didn’t want to spend the money. If you have a fridge go out they are like $3500. $7k for 5 yrs seems quite pricey. I was getting quotes of about $700/yr with $100 deductible for other units we were considering. They were exclusion contracts. So if it wasn’t listed as being excluded it was covered.

As someone said you can usually cancel and get 99% of your money back. I would do some shopping around. I would have considered 7k for a 8 yr contract as long as it covers pretty much everything. For us buying a used RV that has always been under warranty was a plus.

Whatever you are comfortable with is the right way to go.
Chris and David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:02 PM   #11

We have friends that bought a very expensive used class A. It was their first RV so they bought an extended warranty. On there very first trip the driver had a heart problem that caused him to black out and drive off the interstate into the muddy median. He was towing a brand new pickup and ended up 400 yards off the road. The towing bill was $7000.00 to get him out and the repairs to the unit were over $70,000.00 all covered by the extended warranty and some but not all by their auto insurance. They required an additional $8000.00 in repairs just to make it road worthy to get it to the factory. I just thought I would relay a story where the extended warranty paid for itself and then some. It's like any insurance, a gamble.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:54 PM   #12

Not all service/warranty policies would cover damage caused by the owner. That’s why it’s critical to read the policy very carefully.
Chris and David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:34 AM   #13

Sorry to say you did get screwed. The only ones who made out on it is the pos dealer who sadly talked you into it.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:38 AM   #14

Sorry to say you did get screwed. The only ones who made out were the pos dealer who talked you into it. The interior and exterior (protection) package is a scam also.
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:21 PM   #15

I paid $4000 and first $2000 repair with awning and they said “act of God”.
Now I have hot water heater out abd trying to get model # Can anyone help me?
Dpskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:50 PM   #16

2015 Redwood Water Heater

It is hard to know if the mfg used same water heater in each model and year. I have a 2012, still original owner. Our 36FB model has the dual water heater, Suburban Model SW12DEL, Element 520789 and Annode Rod # 232767. Change Annode road every year.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpskee View Post
I paid $4000 and first $2000 repair with awning and they said “act of God”.
Now I have hot water heater out abd trying to get model # Can anyone help me?
Act of God should be covered under your rv insurance.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-22-2021, 03:18 AM   #18

I'll have to say I got duped as well.. spend $4000 on this scam called an extended warranty... I've had to pay for every repair out of pocket on my 3 year old 3921GK... Now the stitching is coming apart on my front awning but I'm sure when I call Redwood they will say "Not covered" just like when the furnace went out... My advice to all... Never, ever buy an extended warranty on an RV!!!!!!!!!!!
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I'll have to say I got duped as well.. spend $4000 on this scam called an extended warranty... I've had to pay for every repair out of pocket on my 3 year old 3921GK... Now the stitching is coming apart on my front awning but I'm sure when I call Redwood they will say "Not covered" just like when the furnace went out... My advice to all... Never, ever buy an extended warranty on an RV!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe most extended warranties can get cancelled at anytime. Call and ask them how much of a prorated refund you'd be getting. It might be worth it to take that sum of money and put it toward your new awning. Just a thought.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman1 View Post
I believe most extended warranties can get cancelled at anytime. Call and ask them how much of a prorated refund you'd be getting. It might be worth it to take that sum of money and put it toward your new awning. Just a thought.
I agree with woodman! Drop that warranty like a hot potato!!
The awning fabric is relatively inexpensive & with a helper with a 2nd ladder is easily replaced.
ShapePro.com is a good company for replacement fabric. Also Tuff Tops, IIRC the name, also a good source.
You might also remove the fabric & take it to a local upholstery or boat cover shop & have it resewn.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined