Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Valve stems

I have just put on 1800 miles so far on this trip. All tires were aired up to 110 psi when i started out. After 800 miles my TPS alarmed showing one tire getting low. I pulled over and checked it. It was down to 67psi. I found that the outside nut holding the metal valve stem was loose. I tightened it up and it then held air. 800 miles later I had the same problem with a different wheel. I checked all and they all took a couple turns with the wrench. I have never had this problem before with aluminum or steel wheels. Is the aluminum stretching, where the valve stems not installed properly? Does anyone have a logical explanation for this
Old 09-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #2

OMG! We just had the SAME THING happen! We were stopped doing a routine check for heat, and Todd noticed the nut on one of the stems was completely OFF! He replaced it and checked the other three... ALLLLL of them were loose! What in the world?? I have never heard of this before and it's alarming that it's happened to more than one person. MAYBE some of the NUMEROUS blowouts that are happening are related to this? Certainly makes sense. Interesting. CHECK YOUR VALVE STEMS everyone...please report back if they are loose. This is a safety issue.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #3

IMHO! There's a rubber O ring on those stems & I think over time with expansion/contraction that they just become loose. From what I read both of you don't move much/often which may make the issue worse. We move regularly & have not had that problem on the RW, but it did occur in my truck spare, I just thought I'd check the pressure in the spare & nearly flat due to leaking stem. Moral of the story, check your spares also.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #4

That's a good thought TT... I will pass that along to Todd, and it makes sense. I don't like to think that there is a problem with a bunch of valve stems, although obviously, it's possible! Which reminds me, we need to call our RAM service center and ask about that for our truck! We were just really glad we caught the valve stems being loose before we had a blowout, vigilance has been a good investment for us.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:43 AM   #5

Tire Valve Stems

Had lots of blow outs with my E stock tires, moved up to GSM and still had blowouts, but metal stems on and no problems for over a year. Also won't pull a RV without my Tire Minders
ltcmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:11 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I have metal stems and the outside nut was backing off causing the tire to leak where it goes into the rim
Old 06-01-2016, 03:54 AM   #7

Same issue

My stems had a similar problem on the way back from the RW Rally last year. The rubber seals on the inside of the wheel failed and I had to replace them. No amount of tightening on the valve stem nut seemed to work.
RW gave me the number of the wheel supplier but they did not know if there were any issues reported to them.
The replacement stems are doing ok so far.
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:22 AM   #8

Shane, i have not used my TPS system in some time now for the same reason. On my former fiver, a Carriage Carri-lite. I had aluminum wheels. I had steel valve stems installed. short ones os that the monitors were very stable. I kept loosing air for no reason. Had the seals on the stems replaced and it kept happening. I can't explain it. But since I quite using the TPS system I have not had any issues. Go figure???? I check the air in my tires before each trip. I check it daily. First cold and then every stop I do a walk around and check the tire hardness with a mallet like the truckers do. Since i have gone back to this. I have had no issues thus far.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstan View Post
Shane, i have not used my TPS system in some time now for the same reason. On my former fiver, a Carriage Carri-lite. I had aluminum wheels. I had steel valve stems installed. short ones os that the monitors were very stable. I kept loosing air for no reason. Had the seals on the stems replaced and it kept happening. I can't explain it. But since I quite using the TPS system I have not had any issues. Go figure???? I check the air in my tires before each trip. I check it daily. First cold and then every stop I do a walk around and check the tire hardness with a mallet like the truckers do. Since i have gone back to this. I have had no issues thus far.
That was my thinking that the weight of the sensor is causing the valve stem to loosen up. They were probably not tightened properly when the tire was installed as others have not had this issue. Or perhaps it is the design of the rim where the valve stem fits in
Old 06-02-2016, 10:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
That was my thinking that the weight of the sensor is causing the valve stem to loosen up. They were probably not tightened properly when the tire was installed as others have not had this issue. Or perhaps it is the design of the rim where the valve stem fits in
Shane - do you have H-rated 17.5" tires and rims? Just curious as I had the 16" E-rated Marathons (after that disastrous blowout in April) replaced with 17.5" H-rated Firestone tires and new rims with metal stems and external TPMS sensors. The tires have a max cold pressure rating of 120 PSI. I have been setting the cold pressure PSI to 115 . Wondering if this is too low or too high? So far no apparent leakage issues however most on this form run more mileage in a week than I do in a year! I hope to get with the program when DW retires in a few years. The covered storage facility enjoys our RW 90% of the year.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:47 PM   #11

I do now but the problem was with gy g 614s at 110psi
Old 06-02-2016, 11:03 PM   #12

Bob have you weighed your right. I personally would run them at max cold pressure as stated on the tire
Old 06-03-2016, 02:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Bob have you weighed your right. I personally would run them at max cold pressure as stated on the tire
The curb side does weight more. I'll weigh again at the rally. The Curb sid weight could be more with the new buffet and sleeper sofa. I agree with the 120 PSI and will adjust to that. Thanks.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
Old 06-03-2016, 02:11 AM   #14

Once you weigh it with the H rated tires you may be able to drop some air pressure if the trailer is riding rough. But until late you know for sure what your weight is I would run max.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:50 AM   #15

Don't know why folks having nut issues on stems with TPS. Have had mine for almost a year with no issues. Steel rims, steel stems installed by tractor trailer tire shop. Professional installation vs a RW dealer or regular car/pickup tire shop perhaps. Would never take my TPS off and lose the peace of mine I have with them.
ltcmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAircraft View Post
The curb side does weight more. I'll weigh again at the rally. The Curb sid weight could be more with the new buffet and sleeper sofa. I agree with the 120 PSI and will adjust to that. Thanks.

Bob , I would run them at max cold pressure... That is what I do with my 17.5's
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:57 AM   #17

Are you running tractor tires to
Old 06-04-2016, 02:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Bob , I would run them at max cold pressure... That is what I do with my 17.5's
Thanks. 120 PSI it is.