Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #1

Using Leveling to change tires

I got my 17.5 " H rated Hercules tires in from Trailer Tires and wheels yesterday and used the leveler to jack all 4 tires off the ground. I heard a pop that was the back axle dropping. The floating suspension for the back axle flipped down instead of staying up like the front axle. I probable should have done one side at a time to prevent this I guess. My road service with Good Sams paid for a service man to jack it back in place.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Wallace View Post
I got my 17.5 " H rated Hercules tires in from Trailer Tires and wheels yesterday and used the leveler to jack all 4 tires off the ground. I heard a pop that was the back axle dropping. The floating suspension for the back axle flipped down instead of staying up like the front axle. I probable should have done one side at a time to prevent this I guess. My road service with Good Sams paid for a service man to jack it back in place.

You didn't do anything wrong....they just pop a little when they drop. I've been to several camp grounds where one side is up off the ground and it does the same thing.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #3

Thanks, it really popped when it went back up. Hopefully with the H rated tires I want have to do this for a while.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #4

Drove from Gulf Shores, Alabama home to Baton Rouge with my new 17.5" tires and rims. The H Rated rode so much smoother.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #5

Buddy, saying same thing as you. Did the MD to Gulf Shores and back trip last week. I moved from the E Marathons to the H rated as well. What a difference they made along with the confidence towing. Coming up 59 on the way back, this guy pulling an older Montana with F250, maybe an 05er, kept trying to get around me on the rolling hills. Finally after about an hour of the rolling hills, he got a down hill and flew by me doing about 80. An hour later the truckers were warning folks to move out of the right lane due to a broke down 4-wheeler. Sure enough, the same guy blew three tires and was stuck half on the road. Made me feel good about my choice to move up to the H rated tires and wheels. We loved the state park in GS.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
Sure enough, the same guy blew three tires and was stuck half on the road. Made me feel good about my choice to move up to the H rated tires and wheels. We loved the state park in GS.
This same guy will be one of those over on RV.something to post about how his tires are crap and that he was "only" going 65 when they blew...
Old 08-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #7

I must of missed something, H's with 125psi gives you a smoother ride than G's with 110 psi? My G's will gain 15-18psi while traveling, if the H's gain equally as much that would put them at 140psi, seems like it would be rougher??
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #8

I can't speak for Buddy, but I upgraded from the cheap E rates Marathons to the H rated wheels and tires. The Es always squatted with the weight of the Redwood on them, even with the proper air pressure. Always felt sluggish and wallowing. With the H rated wheels and tires, the rolling resistance was such an improvement, and I don't get any of the squatting or wallowing now. The Redwood tracks right behind me smoothly. My mileage towing was up just a little as well, attributed to how well it rolled.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:03 AM   #9

Trailer Tire and Wheel told me since I'm in warm Louisiana to run 120 lbs instead of 125 and don't go under 115.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:05 AM   #10

True with me also.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer View Post
I can't speak for Buddy, but I upgraded from the cheap E rates Marathons to the H rated wheels and tires. The Es always squatted with the weight of the Redwood on them, even with the proper air pressure. Always felt sluggish and wallowing. With the H rated wheels and tires, the rolling resistance was such an improvement, and I don't get any of the squatting or wallowing now. The Redwood tracks right behind me smoothly. My mileage towing was up just a little as well, attributed to how well it rolled.
True with me also.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
You didn't do anything wrong....they just pop a little when they drop. I've been to several camp grounds where one side is up off the ground and it does the same thing.
Are you saying he could have possibly lowered the wheels back down without the service call? Just for my own learning. thx
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbound View Post
Are you saying he could have possibly lowered the wheels back down without the service call? Just for my own learning. thx

yes ....no damage when you hear that popping
Old 08-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbound View Post
No, it took three air jacks to swing it back in place. I had all 4 tires off the ground at once, the two rear tires actually had the two front tires still off the ground when my levelers were all the way up. If I go to the Mor/ride IS system each tire would be independent of each other and they wouldn't swing like the ones we have now.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #15

Quote:
No, it took three air jacks to swing it back in place. I had all 4 tires off the ground at once, the two rear tires actually had the two front tires still off the ground when my levelers were all the way up. If I go to the Mor/ride IS system each tire would be independent of each other and they wouldn't swing like the ones we have now.
Imagine the back axle swinging down and forward letting my rear tires almost touch the front ones.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #16
lwg

Quote:
Imagine the back axle swinging down and forward letting my rear tires almost touch the front ones.
I think I understand what you're saying. While the height should have been enough for all four tires to just be off the ground, the "cantileve" of the suspension actually left one axle on the ground while the other continued to raise?

Also, interesting point on the Mor/ride, wonder if anyone has tried this yet?