Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2021, 12:01 AM   #1

Using Leveling Jacks to Change Flat Tire?

I've done a research and I have seen where some people use the leveling jackets on the RV to lift one side and change the tire. I know the manual states do not lift the tires off the ground with the level jacks. However is that just for safety or is it mechanical reasons? However, if place a jack stand under it would this be ok?

I've got a Redwood 4150 - 44 ft with 6 point leveling system.

Has anyone done this or perhaps used one of those Andersen 3620 Rapid Jack, where you roll your tire up on that, will that get the tire off the ground high enough on the RV? I've read that it doesn't work on some RVs.

Thanks.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:18 AM   #2

I've done it a few times, most recently at the 2019 RW Rally in Shipshewana Campground to replace my old GY 114s with Sailuns.
I was looking for the original poster for the Level-Up before being sold to Lippert that listed the advantages, one of which was the ability to change a tire.
Believe it was the legal team at Lippert that required the "Don't use to change a tire" for legal reasons if someone did and were injured. With that disclaimer you can't sue them if you get hurt doing it.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:18 AM   #3

I lift mine all the time with no issues, tires off the ground. I wouldn’t do it while hitched though. The angles will pull the truck sideways and create a lot of stress. Mechanic beware, your life is the hands of reinforced plastic lines and valves that fail and leak. If you are getting under it, I’d use some kind of precaution.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:04 PM   #4

I too use them all the time for maintenance .. Sure beats breaking out my 20 ton pneumatic bottle jack and dragging that out to the Redwood..

Each cylinder is rated for 8,000# ( I believe) .. with 6 on the ground supporting, that's 48,000 capacity....

Gotta love the legal teams when they get involved.....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #5

I used the levelers annually for maintenance with no issues.
It also sat for 4 days on only the 6 levellers while waiting in brake backing plates with us living in it, also no problems.
I agree it's a CYA legal thing when Lippert says DON'T!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:06 PM   #6

There is absolutely no reason why you could not use the hydraulic levelers to lift your 5th wheel other than liability. The front jacks are !4,000 lbs each and the side jacks are 8,000 lbs each. More than enough to lift the entire rig.