Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2022, 05:03 PM   #1

Using hitch for ebikes and carrier

Hello
We have a 2018 3401RL that has a cargo hitch on the back of the unit. I say cargo hitch as there is no wiring for a trailer.
I want to know if it will handle a 65lb rack and two 80lb ebikes. I don't find a tag on it for the weight rating so thought I would ask the Redwood gurus on this site.
Thank you for your help.

Doc & Carol
2018 3401RL
2020 Denali 3500
wirkusd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:47 PM   #2

My '13 the hitch was rated for 3000lb trailer w/ 300lb tongue weight.
We carried a tandem bike on a single rail motorcycle carrier without issue.
I did however use a hitch tightening clamp to take the slop out of the carrier.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:24 PM   #3

I think you will be fine with the weight your asking for it to carry. I have a two bike carrier and a 18" extension on the 2" receiver so that adds stress to the RV frame . One other thing I did was to change where the brake and turn lights are located in the fiberglass back cover. My trailer had the back up lights in the highest hole and the turn and brake lights in the lower holes , the tires on our mountain bikes where partly covering view of the lights. So I swapped the brake and reverse lights from bottom to top , Just hoping to prevent the trailer from getting hit. I also installed LED lights in all 3 locations when I did this swap, The 5" round taillights where all sealed lenses and required to swap the entire assembly. The company is still in business and sell a direct LED upgrade lens/light housing to fit the original holes, I think I had to put a new pig tail on the OEM trailer wiring to plug them in. Then about a month later I had an idea that why not add a switch up at the pin box so the reverse lights can be used as camp site lights. There has been time when we are camping with friends, and we use the backup lights as lighting between rows of back-to-back campers. since they are LED they can run for house and never get warm .
Old 02-20-2022, 04:21 PM   #4

I swapped all 4 lights on the rear to LED stop/turn lights eliminating the back up lights, didn't ever plan to back in after dark, wouldn't have helped much anyway 40' behind me & with all 4 lit up there was no mistake of my intentions with or without the bike on the back.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-26-2022, 04:09 PM   #5

I built a rack that holds two kayaks and two bikes. I’m guessing with the weight of rack and fully loaded I’m pushing 500lbs at the most. Not a problem holding that type of weight.
Jeffmurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 04:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffmurkin View Post
I built a rack that holds two kayaks and two bikes. I’m guessing with the weight of rack and fully loaded I’m pushing 500lbs at the most. Not a problem holding that type of weight.
Don't know what year or model of your Redwood, but as previously stated my '13 had a yellow/orange tag on the hitch stating "3000lb towing/300lb tongue weight". If yours has that you may need to make some adjustments if adding 500lbs to it, it's amazing the amount of bouncing & shaking that happens to stuff mounted to the hitch or the bumper.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-26-2022, 05:12 PM   #7

Ebike trailering.

I wired lights for a trailer and pull atvs behind my 2013. The weight should not be a problem. The slop of the carrier could cause problems. It is pretty rough back there.

I also have ebikes that are foldable from Lectric. We put them in storage containers and they fit nicely inside the door.

I have researched the ebike carriers and unless you buy a very expensive $700 carrier the weight and the movement on the back could break your carrier.
I opted to put them on the inside of the trailer.