Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #1

I am a bit confused by this new level up system.... My previous coach, a Montana, had the standard crank down rear jacks and electric front jacks. I have had my new 36RL for about 3 weeks (full timing) and I have found the level up system to be very unstable. I am single so it is just me in the coach, but I cant believe how much "wiggle" there is in this coach. I walk across the living area to the kitchen area and I can see everything shake and can hear the roller shades hitting the windows. The amount of "popping/cracking" noise that comes from all 6 jacks is crazy. If the wind blows just right, I can sit and listen to all 6 jacks pop for hours on end. I have tried cycling the system up and down about 15/20 times over the past 3 weeks and have not been able to get this thing to firm up the coach. I admit I had a slight bounce in my previous Montana, but this coach is well beyond a slight bounce. It is more like a heard of cattle running through the coach. I have also noticed that the system truly cannot find "level" from side to side and front to back. I have added this to the list of things I'd like the dealer to address in the next few weeks as I am not overly impressed with the level up system right now. I know you can manually adjust the level on the system and then reprogram it to set the sensors to the new "level". I have done this twice and the system cannot seem to remember where level is. I have noted that each time I pull all the jacks up and then hit auto level on the panel, the coach will "try" to level the coach again....this time it will be completely different from the previous setting it said was level. I have been at the same site for the past 3 weeks and I find it odd that the system provides a different "level" each time I ask it to level the coach.... thoughts???

Old 08-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Site Team

When i'm not on the road with my trailer, it sits at a local camp ground. While it's there it's sitting on soft "pee gravel" and because of this the trailer shakes more and needs to be leveled more often. While on the road, as long as i park on solid ground, the trailer is solid. Although i haven't tried it, some on this forum have bought the tri-pod that suports the front end.

I think the self leveling system is GREAT. Mine has had the popping noise but after I cycle it a few times it goes away.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Dan

Becausethere is no "jacks" at the very tail of the unit as in the Montana you will indeed find some "wobble" but as Dave mentioned the degree will depend on how stable the "ground" is. Not the answer you wanted but an explanation of what you have going on.

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #4

We had the Level-Up system retro-fitted to our 2010 Montana and it made it rock solid, but it was the samll Montana, 2955RL only 34 feet. Now the Redwood 36RL being 40 feet is still pretty solid, maybe not quite as solid as the Montana, but then again it has a lot more over hang behind the rear jacks, I think they should have been placed a little further back behind the axles and would have made it a little more stable.
But yes, it does make a big difference as to the footing for the jacks. When on a good cement pad it's very solid, but if on soft ground not so solid. If your unit will not hold level in memory it sounds like you've got a bad sensor box or it's not attached solid and is moving everytime you level or travel.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #5

I am on a 100% concrete pad and because of the solid foundation, I expected the coach to be almost wiggle proof. On gravel or soft ground, I do and would expect a little movement. Not like what I am experiencing on the solid pad I am on now. Something is just not right with the system as I should not need to continually re-level the coach throughout the week. I am starting to think that maybe I have a pump issue that is not maintaining the pressure throughout the landing gear... I am hoping a little adjustment is all that is needed.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #6

We are at a campground full time at this point. The crushed stone site is at a pitch from front left to back right. I added blocks so that my jacks in the rear wouldn't have to be extended as far. The front left (street side) is extended about 6 inches, just enough for the self leveling system to work. I installed the tripod on my pin and the unit seems to be quite stable. The back can wobble alittle especially with the grands hopping around. Also no jumping jacks! But I also think that the rear jacks should have been moved further to the rear. When we picked up the coach it was on flat blacktop and it wobbled slightly there without the tripod. These are very tall and long units and tend to be top heavy. We have to remember that these are trailers. Even my old bus moved.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #7

I've found that our 36FL is a little less stable when we're on a concrete or asphalt pad especially if the jacks are extended more than 12". Whenever we in these sorts of campsites we use leveling pads under each jack. If the site is not level we stack multiple pads under the low side jacks.

There are two of us in the trailer and it seems quite stable. If one of us in moving around in the rear of the trailer or the washer goes into spin mode there will be a little movement but nothing beyond what I'd expect.
Enroute, Id try using pads under the jacks, either wood or plastic, and see if that helps. If it doesn't you may have to call Redwood or Lippert.

TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote