Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #1

Smile Unlimited hot water?

Has anyone ever successfully replace the water heather for a insta Heath or different kind system. Seems to be that the insta Heath will only work properly when it get he right water pressure with that said you probably need to install a pressure water valve so you can adjust when moving to different parks.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #2

I looked into one, not for the RV however. It was for a vacation home that periodically, had low pressure. I would have been a great application but too often we'd be without hot water. It needs a minimum PSI to operate.

I'd be concerned that if you were in a park with low pressure, you might not have enough pressure to get hot water. Also, not sure if using the on board pump that it would be adequate. Problem is that there is no way to know until you're faced with the problem...then I don't think there's a solution.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #3

We had the Girard tankless on our previous Destiny 5'er - we liked it, but can't say we've had an issue going back to a 10 gal atwood water heater in the coach....

The Girard had a dial next to the shower where you could adjust the 'baseline'....Water pressure was the key... too high or low and it would get colder or hotter...so the adjustment knob allowed us to adjust it based on the park pressure...

NOW, this was 2012 technology....so it's probably much better now...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Don't most of those Instant Hot Water Heaters only run on Gas?? Seems you would be had pressed to get a high enough wattage electric element to work in an RV.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #5

Correct - ours was propane fired.

This is the girard we had
one
and Jerry is the guy that first came to my rv way back when to install and adjust the settings...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #6
Site Team

The instant hot endless water systems have some flaws. If the water is too cold coming out of the ground it effects the water temps. Water flow effects the water temps too as was noted earlier.

I believe the water heater I had in my Redwood was the best one we ever had. I'm still getting use to the Acqua Hot system.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #7

I would have to agree - It seems to be just the right size. I never run out of hot water. I use both electric and gas on mine.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:51 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Our water heater is excellent and always run on electric. I never run out of hot water. What I like is you can turn both electric and propane on at the same time to heat it up quickly for the second shower. This is when the DW won't let me in the shower with her
Old 10-12-2015, 11:07 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Our water heater is excellent and always run on electric. I never run out of hot water. What I like is you can turn both electric and propane on at the same time to heat it up quickly for the second shower. This is when the DW won't let me in the shower with her

Since you're in CA I thought you had to conserve water and shower together
Old 10-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #10

We too like our present water heater in the RW. If we need to we can run both Electric and Gas for quicker recovery. Since we pay for an electric site, we use the electric.
On our previous Crossroad Seville, it had something like a 16 gallon equivalent water heater. I had a higher ECO (energy cut off) and thermostat than normal. 140* or 160*, but it also had an expensive Watts mixer valve on the water heater that blended hot and cold together before it got to the faucets.
On a previous 5er brand I used to work with, they used the Girard tankless water heaters. Every unit that had the Girard WH also received a oxygenics shower hose with head. A sticker was installed inside the shower by the hot and cold handles that explained how to use it. Like stated before you turned on just the hot side of the water to get a base temp, if you wanted hotter you turned the flow down. If you wanted colder you turned the flow faster. Never using the cold handle at all. So I would imagine pressure and incoming water temps would make quite a difference. And since the Girard only worked on LP, you used a bunch of propane every time you wanted hot water.

To each his own I guess, I will stick with what's in our RW now.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote