Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #1

Unhappy with induction cooktop

We have been using our induction cooktop for about three months and are disappointed with the performance. One of the items is when you turn on the second burner you reduce the power to the first burner by the amount set on the second burner. We are now considering buying a elelectic flying pan. We were just wondering if our experience was common to others with the induction Cooktops.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #2

I have heard this before from someone else on this forum. What is the brand name on the cooktop?

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #3

True Induction is the brand name
Old 07-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #4

I also am not happy with the performance. I had Induction Cooktop in last home 220v this RV 110v version just does not have the power needed. Wishing I had the gas 3 burner back.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:25 PM   #5

the problem is the total wattage available (probably 1800 or so). Because it's only 120 volt (residential stoves are 240) you just don't have enough amperage available to fire up two or three burners at high power.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #6

Understanding the rules for this appliance is something that needs to be addressed.

I visited with the True Induction company in length so I could address questions and concerns like this.

First, because this is a 2 burner 1800 watt appliance - (instead of the portable 1 burner 1800 watt unit we are all used to using) this appliance has to balance the power of the two burners if we are using both at the same time. The representative of True Induction stated, if one burner is being used....all the power (10 levels) would be available. When turning on the second burner - the balancing technology is engaged and the 10 levels will be balanced between the two burners, depending on what we are asking each burner to do.

He also explained that when using both burners.... Level 6 would be the highest power available which would leave level 4 for the highest for the second burner but typically, level 5 & 5 are being used.

I know that this is not what we expected when adding the built-in induction to our kitchen....we expected it to work just like the one burner portable unit. But it totally makes sense when knowing 1800 watts is all we have to work with regardless if it is 2 burners vs. 1 burner. However, now that we know these rules, we can utilize the appliance and not feel frustrated.

For me.... I still use my portable 1 burner unit in my Redwood kitchen .... especially when I need several burners so I can get the high power I desire. (full power vs. balancing power) When doing this....the main thing to remember is not to overload your circuit breaker with too many high demand devises for it will result in a tripped breaker. For me, using the receptacle in the island works well.

Those of you who want to go back to gas - Here is a fact about propane cooking vs. induction cooking and comes from the induction industry that you should know.

FACT: 35% of the BTUs from propane are actually cooking your foods. The remaining 65% of BTUs are filling your rig with heat. 95% of the BTUs from the Induction are cooking your food and only 5% of the BTUs are filling your rig with added heat.

WOW.... this is what I call HARD FACTS. Not only are we cooking more efficiently with induction....now our A/C units are not working as hard to keep us cool. For me and the Professor - that's a BIG DEAL. Depending where you are located and the temps that you are having to deal with on a daily basis... Induction cooking could be the way to go. The statement of using an electric skillet as a back up burner - of course if that is what you want to do. I feel having a portable 1 burner induction appliance would work more efficiently.

My goal is...to be constantly looking for new appliances that work well for RV living and understanding the impact these appliances have on our units electrically and so-on.

I hope that this information helps.

Lady E Cooper
Lady DRV - 2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450 w/Executive Office Options
LadyEcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Very good information
Thank You
Old 07-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #8

Lady E what an excellent, logical, helpful post! THANK YOU!!! It makes sense. We DO all have the limitations that living in a home on wheels (at least so far, at any price point) DOES have it's limitations and unique "rules". They aren't bad, they are just different, right? Case in point: I was recently inside of a brand new, VERY expensive Itasca Grand Tour MH and it has the exact same induction cook top (and the same Dishwasher and refrigerator) as our RW's. What does that tell you?

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 07-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #9

Energy management is essential to RV living. Yes we have 100amp available on these coaches but many things limit use, essentially half the coach is wired to one 50a leg while the remainder are connected to the second 50a leg. More limiting are the receptacles for appliance use, most all are limited to 15 amps and to make things more difficult several receptacles share a 15a breaker. For example, essentially all receptacles in the kitchen slide share one 15a breaker so trying to use an induction cooktop on high and trying to use anything else on the slide ., e.g. TV, DVD/Satellite receiver, printer, etc. will result in an overloaded circuit.

Like LadeE we generally use the island for cooking with the induction cooktop, especially if we will be cooking for an extended period of on high temps.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
Lady E what an excellent, logical, helpful post! THANK YOU!!! It makes sense. We DO all have the limitations that living in a home on wheels (at least so far, at any price point) DOES have it's limitations and unique "rules". They aren't bad, they are just different, right? Case in point: I was recently inside of a brand new, VERY expensive Itasca Grand Tour MH and it has the exact same induction cook top (and the same Dishwasher and refrigerator) as our RW's. What does that tell you?
It tells me that Redwood is striving to bring us the best of what is available on the market and stay within what they are trying to achieve here.

One of my 'things' that I couldn't quiet understand was the convection/microwave. Why are we dealing with (what I call a) low wattage output (900) convection oven inside a high-end unit. After visiting with upper management, I found that Redwood sells MANY units in Canada. Now...Canada has a 'rule' ....no convection/microwave units allowed into their country that are over 900 watts output.

Ahhhh...... okay. So now I totally understand the 'why'. Now, as the consumer, we educate ourselves on the rules of a 900 watt output convection/microwave.... so there will be no frustration on the operator end. :-)

Life is Good!

Lady E Cooper
Old 07-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #11

Thanks Chuck. Is it possible to upgrade these breakers? I am not an electrician. Recently, while on our vacation, the park was suffering "brown outs" from all of the ACs running I expect. Since we have the surge protector, this resulted in quite a few trips for LOW voltage. I sure hope that doesn't hurt my SP, because I expect it probably happens often. (I know, unrelated to topic, sorry)

Old 07-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
No you can't upgrade the breakers. You can move the load around so the amperage is more balanced on all of the breakers. This may result in running more wiring to take some plugs off and add on to a different breaker. As far as low voltage at the park the only thing you could do is fire up the generator or limit the amount of things you are trying to run at the same time. It is a good thing you have a surge protector because motors will burn out if running on low voltage. Eg air conditioners, residential fridge etc
Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #13

The technical basis sound like it makes sense, but in reality you end up with a single burner device, you just get to pick which side you want to use, unless you are just simmering.

Not sure this "residentlal" thing is going to fully be implemented until they decide to finally take advantage of the 240v on the 50A service, but that would mean that those appliances would not work on a 30A service, or the appliance will have to work on both, with only limited capability on 30A.

I see 100a service is being installed at some resorts now.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #14

I agree Brad. I only have the one portable burner, so don't know. I imagine since cooking only for two now (which is a HUGE adjustment for me) I rarely need to have two burners going full blast... Probably the shared power would be adequate for me. I WOULD like to have a higher wattage oven, but now I know why I don't. There are workarounds for everything. You give and you take, I guess. I am just happy to NOT be in a house any more, it's AWESOME. I sure never thought I would feel that way, but I have learned one thing, we don't know how we will feel about anything years into the future. Best not to try and guess! We are having a ball living in the RW!

Old 07-25-2015, 11:28 PM   #15

Well I Don know what all the complaining is about. It wasn,t to long ago we were putting camp fuel in the old stove and pumping it to pressure it up

Old 07-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #16

Good point Shane... We'll just have to NOT think about the difference in the level of inve$tment. LOL!

Old 07-25-2015, 11:36 PM   #17

We are seeing the same issues, but we need to investagate a little farther, because recently when using only one element on 10 we were only drawing approx 750 to 800 amps, not the 1500 to 1800 it should for full power.
Does anyone know if one side is suppose to be the primary and give you the full wattage if you're only using it. Or we may just have a bad unit that is not distributing the power as it should.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Well I Don know what all the complaining is about. It wasn,t to long ago we were putting camp fuel in the old stove and pumping it to pressure it up

I think even back when I was pumping for fuel pressure, the MH next to me was getting his electric hot plate out of the cupboard, so I don't think much has changed.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
We are seeing the same issues, but we need to investagate a little farther, because recently when using only one element on 10 we were only drawing approx 750 to 800 amps, not the 1500 to 1800 it should for full power.
Does anyone know if one side is suppose to be the primary and give you the full wattage if you're only using it. Or we may just have a bad unit that is not distributing the power as it should.

I did ask this question to the representative of True Induction. There is no set high power burner. They work independent from each other until the second is turned on...then the balancing technology takes over.

He also suggested that if a unit was not performing like it should....by all means should be checked for defect.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:07 AM   #20

I bought myself a portable one burner induction for my last MH so I could use it outside, works great . Otherwise I love the gas that's what I have at home.
Char