Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 12:11 AM   #21

Ya Dory cooks on gas at home as well - she made me change that the first year we moved in. I keep telling he we should get a portable 1 burner, but she won't give up her pans either.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:15 AM   #22

I love gas cook tops too. It's true, they waste BTU's but they are instant on, instant off, and work as expected. PLUS you don't have to limit yourself to special cookware and they work while boondocking without a generator. Most of the cookware available is NOT induction friendly, and I do not expect this to change any time soon. I find that cast iron works especially well on induction and is very affordable. JUST HEAVY! But then, you only need a couple of good pans. I like the Le Creuset style cookware too (Enameled cast iron) No rust and good insulation, but again, heavy.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:21 AM   #23

I have one pan for the induction I wasn't going to spend a ton of money. I just took a magnet and checked each pan I had and finally found one of my Cuisinart's that was magnetic. Also cast iron works.
Char
Old 07-26-2015, 12:44 AM   #24

This little device is an option for those who do no want to give up the cookware they are currently using to change to induction. However, you will loose some of the efficiency in the added layer of the disc. AMAZON
Lady DRV - 2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450 w/Executive Office Options
LadyEcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:46 AM   #25

This residential stuff is all cool, but I do hope RW keeps the camper versions or options. I love sneaking into some of the more primitive campgrounds with 20A or no electricity. The Redwood sticks out like a Waldorf Astoria in Brules Nebraska, but sometimes those are the best spots around.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:50 AM   #26

And that is why I ordered the gas... I am laughing at the vision of Brad and Dory sweeping into a little podunk campground and hearing some tent campers exclaim, "and here comes The Waldorf Astoria!" We definitely know that feeling.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 07-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #27

Love our set up with the propane burners and the portable induction plate. We lived with an electric cooktop in our home for years and missed the pleasure of cooking with fire. I can use the induction plate with my stainless steel dutch oven like a slow cooker, fill the pot, set the timer and walk away. When done, it fits nicely in a drawer.
Traveling in the midwest we have found numerous campgrounds with limited 50 amp sites and have had to adopt our use of electric appliances to 30 amp limitations. Just like a little bit of trailer wobble from time to time, it reminds me that we are camping and that is part of the joy of what we are doing. Loving the life.

2014 36FB, 2012 F350 DRW,
Onan, Washer/Dryer, Dish Washer, Satellite Internet, Comfort Ride Hitch
Current location: Ozarks, MO
Marilyn H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn H View Post
Love our set up with the propane burners and the portable induction plate. We lived with an electric cooktop in our home for years and missed the pleasure of cooking with fire. I can use the induction plate with my stainless steel dutch oven like a slow cooker, fill the pot, set the timer and walk away. When done, it fits nicely in a drawer.
Traveling in the midwest we have found numerous campgrounds with limited 50 amp sites and have had to adopt our use of electric appliances to 30 amp limitations. Just like a little bit of trailer wobble from time to time, it reminds me that we are camping and that is part of the joy of what we are doing. Loving the life.
You piqued my interest whenI saw that you had Starband Internet listed in your signature. I'd never heard of it so I looked it up and went to their webpage only to discover they are closing shop and retiring the business. Are you already aware of that? We are trying to find out the best way to have internet while we travel. Not all campgrounds offer it and when they do,it is usually limited.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #29

Rick & Mindy,
Yes it was disappointing to find out that Starband will be dropping their service to the mobile community in September. Our provider is currently looking for a new solution and may work out something with Exede. It is great to have that satellite when the park option is bad and our data plan on our phones is overloaded.

2014 36FB, 2012 F350 DRW,
Onan, Washer/Dryer, Dish Washer, Satellite Internet, Comfort Ride Hitch
Current location: Ozarks, MO
Marilyn H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #30

Okay, I have an update on the early True Induction Cook Tops.
We exchanged our cook top at the distribution warehouse here in Florida lastweek. Their check is to just cover the bottom of a pan with water, put it on the cook top and if it bubbles in X number of seconds it's good. Well I made them go get an amp meter to check the current draw, which turned out to be 6 - 7 amps, when it should be getting close to 15 depending on actual supply voltage. Gentleman when in the back and brought out a nicely wrapped unit and checked it, exactly the same as ours. So he goes in the back again and comes out with one still in the box and plugs it in, WOW draws 12 - 15 amps. Seems there is a Software Glitch preventing a single burner from drawing full power.
So if you're experiencing issues, have the current draw checked using only one burner set on 10, you should see a 12 to 15 amp draw, if you only see 6 to 7 that's the reason it takes forever to boil a large pot of anything.
We're now happy glampers, but if we had gone thru RW or the local dealer we would have likely seen no change as we would have received another unit with the same problem.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #31

Great find! Thats going to be tough to get that communicated to Dealers.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #32

Thank you for that excellent, helpful post!!

Old 10-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #33

It worked for us as we were visiting with the Daugther and only a few miles from the wearhouse. And even there, if I hadn't insisted on measuring the current draw, we would have been sent on our way with the same probleml.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:47 PM   #34

My Wife and I have one portable NUWAVE Induction Cooktop in the RV now. Works great and there are no problems with the AMP Draw.

I will be taking out my GAS Stove and creating another storage cabinet for our Induction cookware. We then intend to purchase another single 1800 Watt NUWAVE and use it on the counter, plugging into a different outlet, balancing out the Amperage draw.

My Wife and I are so glad we didn't pay the big bucks for the factory Induction Unit.
JT & BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:19 PM   #35

We also bought the as seen on tv Nuwave induction cooktop, the twofer deal , & haven't taken the cover off our gas cooktop since, they are great.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote