Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 01:46 AM   #1

TV hookups

We just purchased a 36FB unit. Could someone explain the hookups for the tv/cable/satalite or point me to the thread where this was discussed. I am confused! Don't worry, it happens more often.
Preston
pmbrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:21 AM   #2

Attached is the wiring diagram for the 36RL, it has to be close to your FB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satelite.pdf (10.5 KB, 77 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #3

Thank you. I will need some time to understand how to hook up the satellite and still get local stations through the antenna. This will help.
pmbrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #4

The diagram is the same for FB as RL, used it to straighten out the mess they made of mine.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbrux View Post
Thank you. I will need some time to understand how to hook up the satellite and still get local stations through the antenna. This will help.
Fortunately the satellite cables are separate from the antenna cables, so you can watch either by simply selecting a different input on the TV (satellite HD input or the antenna coax). I have antenna on all TVs and satellite on all TVs.

I got this I'm going to try, which will bring the antenna signal into the satellite TV menu if you happen to have a hopper:

http://www.mydish.com/support/usb-digital-ota-tuner
Old 03-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #6

When we had dish a few years ago, the ota signal WAS merged into the dish satellite feed - no need to switch inputs/sources/antennas...

but with direct we need to switch inputs - tv, cable, sat, dvd, etc...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
Site Team

When we hook up to cable, we have to do it in the service bay area and in the top spot (there actually 2 cable connectors in there). Then you have to make sure your signal booster is off.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
When we hook up to cable, we have to do it in the service bay area and in the top spot (there actually 2 cable connectors in there). Then you have to make sure your signal booster is off.
Ya the cable and antenna system are shared once it gets to the booster. turn off the booster, and cable will play through the same input as the antenna.

Dave, I assume you have to tell your TV its on cable and let it find the channels? If so, are you pretty much not able to watch OTR until you reprogram the TV?
Old 07-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #9

Atom Ant, I am having trouble finding the cable in so I can hook up my OTA through my Dish 612. I have everything hooked as shown in the dish manual, however the scan is not picking up any channels. PLEASE HELP
Old 07-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #10

Brad

The dish OTA accessory will be added to the channel lineup automatically so you can use the DVR function to record as well as watch. Very convenient if you're in a location that has good local channels over the air. You just need to make sure the roof antenna is up and rotated to the most optimum signal strength. After hooking the accessory up follow the included directions to add the newly received channels to the dish on screen menu and you're done. Jim

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticman1957 View Post
Atom Ant, I am having trouble finding the cable in so I can hook up my OTA through my Dish 612. I have everything hooked as shown in the dish manual, however the scan is not picking up any channels. PLEASE HELP
Did you pull the antenna coax off the back of the TV And use that one for the OTA and turn the booster on in the bedroom. Mine works like Jim describes above, but now I need to go play with it tomorrow a little to re-educate myself. I forgot what it looks like now on the screen.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #12

Okay so the only I can get any channels OTA was run a coaxial from the antenna to the back of the box and the first it found five channel. I have a new King Jack on because the Winegard was not getting anything. I thought I had them saved but now I can't them. The second found no channels again and third has only found 1. I am lost.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #13

As Brad said, you have to remove the OTA coax from the rear of your TV and route it to the DISH receiver, connecting it to the OTA terminal in the back of the receiver.
Once you know you have a good signal from the antenna do a scan for locals.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #14

The problem I have had with running the OTA through the Dish receiver is that you're subject the the whims of the local networks. They have the ability to block the transmission through the dish. Last year in Phoenix, I could only get a few ota's through the Dish. Once I bypassed the Dish, I got the entire market.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #15

Ken,

Im not sure what you're saying... the local networks have no idea what you have an antenna hooked to, they can't tell whether you are connecting to a DISH receiver or a TV???

You could potentially have less luck receiving signals with the DISH OTA receiver, I know I get different results with the 2 TV's in the rig when I do a scan, the receiver's decide which channels to lock during the scan based on their own abilities, the DISH receiver is no different.

Ive thought about putting am A/B switch on my OTA antenna in the LR and running one output directly to the TV and one to the DISH OTA connection but I seldom use the OTA...thats why I have satellite, I just call DISH and have them set me up for the locals in the area I'm in, the hardest part is getting to the RV techs who understand our situations.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #16

Chuck,
I agree, they don't know which antenna but they do apparently object to feeding their signal through the Dish receiver,. Hooking up the OTA's to the receiver allows you the ability to use your DVR or watch through the Dish receiver and have the OTA's appear in your guide. Why they choose to block the signal, I have no idea, but as I said I ran into this in Phoenix.

What I did is the following:

First, I attached the OTA coax to the OTA input of the Dish receiver. I then scanned using the Dish receiver for OTA. The results were a few obscure channels, none of the Phoenix networks. I could watch/record and see the channels, in the guide, that were available. I then tried to manually add a known digital channel through the receiver with no luck.

Second, I moved the OTA coax back to the TV input. I scanned the channels using the TV and received the entire offerings of the Phoenix area.

So, in essence, I proved your point, the antenna picked us the signals just fine. The vip211 didn't pass some through.
This may be limited to the vip211 however when I called Dish, they in fact told me it was up to the local providers whether or not they blocked the signal.

Mind you, this has nothing to do with receiving the locals directly from Dish via the satellite.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:55 PM   #17

Yes I had the OTA from behind the TV hooked up and the power booster on. I think there are just to many obstructions here. I finally got eight channels, but none of them will stay in. Even with a seventy signal strength. I will have to try it again at the next location.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #18

Calling Dish to switch locals can be a trying experience! I have found that logging into their website, select support, select contact us, select chat now with TECHNICAL SUPPORT (not customer service), gets it done first time, virtually every time.

I just give them my new address, have them keep the billing address the same (sometimes they ask, most times they don't) and I'm good to go. BTW, it helps to use your pin in the chat session, it bypasses all the security questions and speeds up the process a great deal.

Ken
Old 07-27-2014, 12:42 AM   #19

Make sure the antenna booster is on as well.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Calling Dish to switch locals can be a trying experience! I have found that logging into their website, select support, select contact us, select chat now with TECHNICAL SUPPORT (not customer service), gets it done first time, virtually every time.

I just give them my new address, have them keep the billing address the same (sometimes they ask, most times they don't) and I'm good to go. BTW, it helps to use your pin in the chat session, it bypasses all the security questions and speeds up the process a great deal.

Ken
I finally got Dish to note our account that we are Fulltiimers, so now when I call them, changing service address to get locals is easy and quick.

We change our Dish service address / locals every 2 to 3 weeks year round.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote