Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Unfortunately, it appears as though I have lost a piston rod bearing. With a few big trips planned for the Summer, it looks as though they will be cancelled. The biggest one is a family wedding in Vermont later in July. Oh well.

Has anyone ever heard of a place that will rent diesel pick ups with a fifth wheel or gooseneck accomodation? I'm not optimistic but figure it's worth a shot. Really don't want to miss the Vermont trip.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift
Unfortunately, it appears as though I have lost a piston rod bearing. With a few big trips planned for the Summer, it looks as though they will be cancelled. The biggest one is a family wedding in Vermont later in July. Oh well.

Has anyone ever heard of a place that will rent diesel pick ups with a fifth wheel or gooseneck accomodation? I'm not optimistic but figure it's worth a shot. Really don't want to miss the Vermont trip.
Call the rv dealership or your local Ford dealer. The local Ford dealer my have one that got traded in that they could let you use.

I've got a local service shop that might be able to help get you on the road (I trust more than the dealership) but I'm a pretty good distance from you.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Site Team

If you're in the market for a new truck PM me..I told Piperguy about a dealership in NE that I believe he said saved him 6k. The deal was worth the drive

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 06-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #4

If you have no desire to replace the truck, spend the money on a crate motor. If only the lower end is damaged, you can pick up a short block fairly inexpensive (less than $5k I think). A full drop in replacement is about $2500 in labor, add probably $500-1000 if they are swapping out the top end. Most reman engines will come with a warranty ( 2 years).

I would check around with local diesel shops and see what they can offer before you write the truck off. It might take them several weeks to rebuild yours, but a drop in replacement might speed that up a few weeks.

I have seen a few rental companies that rent trucks that have in bed hitches, but it will cost you. Most are geared towards commercial customers (tractors) and the renters are making money as long as they are moving cargo. It might be cheaper short term and long term to repair your current truck with a drop in crate motor.

Good luck,
OJ

Edit: One thing I meant to add.... Would your short term plans work if you used a transport service to move your RV to a campsite and then bring it back while your truck was in repair? UShip might be an optioin. Find a driver who can move your RV to its temporary location, rent a car while there, then use the service to return the RV home when done. It would take some additional research and planning, but would be a LOT cheaper than renting a HD truck that can move your RV over a longer period of time.

http://www.dieselpickuprental.com/index-1.html

http://www.cappsvanrental.com/commercial-truck-rental

http://www.pensketruckrental.com/business-truck-rental/

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...ACK_MAMBA.html

http://performancemachinemfg.com/c-2...e-engines.html

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Po...ssemblies.aspx

Edited by: a64armt
a64armt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #5

Good info guys. I've got several thousand dollars into this engine right now. I think most of you are aware of the problems that have plagued the 6.0L Powerstroke. If the problem is the bottom end, it will be far less expensive to put the money there since a 6.0L short block would need lots of top end work to make it stout enough to pull the RW.

Many years ago I had a boss who told me that every large project required time, money and quality. You can't mess with any one of those three variables without it impacting the other two. A wise man. I've also got some tranny issues that I want to get ironed out as well. Ultimately, I'd like to install a competition trans since HP has always been a bit </span>of an addiction for me. I may just have to bite the bullet and give the 'ole girl the time she needs in the shop.</span>
Old 06-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
a 6.0L short block would need lots of top end work to make it stout enough to pull the RW.
Spindrift, what does that mean?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #7

Here is another link I had saved that I missed.

http://jandkengineremanufacturing.re...l.net/products

Prior to buying our 2008 6.4 diesel, I considered buying a used 6.0 and budgeting for a performance build. I know the 6.0's have gotten a bad rap in some circles, but they are good engines when maintained and even better engines when properly built with the right upgrades.

OJ

Old 06-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64armt
Here is another link I had saved that I missed.

http://jandkengineremanufacturing.re...l.net/products

Prior to buying our 2008 6.4 diesel, I considered buying a used 6.0 and budgeting for a performance build.Â* I know the 6.0's have gotten a bad rap in some circles, but they are good engines when maintained and even better engines when properly built with the right upgrades.Â*

OJ

Some would say the 6.4 is twice the nightmare as the 6.0 - any truth to that? I love this 6.4 so far because it is super quiet compared to the 6.0.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #9

I am not a diesel expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn once. I don't think the 6.4 is twice the nightmare, but it did come with its own set of problems, mostly related to the emissions equipment and requirements. Some of what was learned from the 6.0did make it into the 6.4, but the DPF problems didn't help. I know that Ford is having some growing pains with the 6.7 as well. High pressure fuel pump failures and oil sludge causing turbo failures are some common complaints I have seen. The more power you try and squeeze from these engines while meeting emission requirements, the more susceptible to minor flaws they become.

Navistar (International) made both motors, but Ford made some changes for their applications (additional HP, emissions, chassis requirements, etc). While Ford no longer uses the 6.4, it is still available in the commercial vehicle industry (Maxx Force 7), motorhomes, etc.

I still think they are both great motors, they produce a lot of power, but all that power comes at a price. As with all the modern diesel engines, they have to be maintained and can be costly if you don't catch problems early. Regular fluid analysis is a big help in catching problems early.

Spindrift, even though you know the engine needs repair, it might be wise to have the oil analyzed to see if another underlying factor caused it (oil cooler leak, fuel dilution, etc).

OJ

Old 06-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
Quote:
a 6.0L short block would need lots of top end work to make it stout enough to pull the RW.
Spindrift, what does that mean?

The 6.0L suffered from head gasket failures that were caused mostly by failed EGR coolers. Oil coolers would get clogged, and since the oil cooler is upstream of the EGR cooler, the reduced coolant flow through the EGR cooler would cause a superheating of coolant in the cooler. This in turn would cause EGR failures and the result would be coolant in the cylinders...not good.

The remedies are many and only available through aftermarket diesel shops. A more efficient oil cooler, deleting the EGR cooler, and installing head studs in place of head bolts. Then you have the issue of a very finicky HEUI fuel delivery system, and its necessary modifications...for more power and reliability. The list goes on and on.

Nowhere is the adage, "You need to pay to play", more appropriate than when applied to the diesel performance arena.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64armt
Spindrift, even though you know the engine needs repair, it might be wise to have the oil analyzed to see if another underlying factor caused it (oil cooler leak, fuel dilution, etc).

OJ

Absolutely, OJ. Blackstone Labs does all of my OAs.
Edited by: spindrift
Old 06-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Nowhere is the adage, "You need to pay to play", more appropriate than when applied to the diesel performance arena.
Well put.

OJ
Old 06-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #13

spindrift I would cut my loses and get rid of the 6.0 and put the money in a 2011 or later 6.7. My 2004 6.0 blew up in Utah in 2011 and through the grace of God I found a mech who would rebuild it and sale it so we went to American Fork Utah and bought the 2011 SWR 4X4 FX with the Reese 25K hitch and have never looked back. The 6.0 even running good is grossly underpowered for the weight of the Redwoods.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #14

My truck isn't underpowered. However, when you play with these engines you'll always find the next weak link. Unfortunately, I just have too much scratch tied up in this rig to trade her in.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
Site Team

It sure is nice to have that extra power when you get into a bad spot. Sometimes I think I've put too much power under my foot but it's nice to have every now and then.

Mine came from the factory with 800 ft. pounds and I've added an extra 120.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #16

Dave...what programmer are you using?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #17

Spindrft, there is a law suit on Ford which covers the above issues with the International engines. Might be worth googling it and have Ford pay for the repairs.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Dave...what programmer are you using?
I put the "Spartan" programer that has 5 settings.... 40, 80, 120,165 and 200 ft pounds. I switched to a "AFE" down pipe and exhaust and a "Banks" cold air intake. I don't run exhaust fluid at all and I don't have any codes flashing on my dash.

I always keep the setting at 120 because I don't want to have to worry about exhaust temps and damage. Honestly the truck has more power than it needs (920 ft pounds). At a dead stop, even with the Redwood hooked up (4000lbs in the bed) I have spun the dual wheels when trying to jump out into heavy traffic. In the hills I just set my cruise and let the truck do the work unless I'm descending down high grades.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 07-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #19

Nice set-up.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Nice set-up.
Thank You