Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 01:41 AM   #1

Trip planning

Am thinking of taking a trip to the west, southwest this fall. Looking for anyone's experience with trip planners such as "RV Trip Wizard" or "Good Sam" or "AAA". Our RW is 39 ft. and not expecting anything to be perfect, but would like to avoid as many pitfalls, bad roads, unsuitable campgrounds, etc., as possible, yet at the same time, looking for useful and pertinent info that will help with making the trip, interesting and cohesive. Most reviews I've read, recommend RV Trip Wizard. Thanks.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #2

I've always stuck with the RV specific route planners. As a critical backup, I also have the truckers' version of the Rand McNally map because it contains information on bridge clearances. And I've always believed having a paper map is safe.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #3

We use Google maps, Trucker Path app, & have a Rand McNally motor carriers atlas usually check all in planning our route, so far no problems.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:22 PM   #4

We use Allstays app and LOVE it. We also carry the large Trucker's map as mentioned above. You can use Google earth to visually check things out if you are unsure of the route or the big rig friendliness.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:25 AM   #5

Have been using RV Trip Wizard for several years, I very good tool but with limitations.

I like to use it to get a general idea of the route and to look for potential overnight stops at Passport America parks.

Now some of the limitations...
- doesn't route around areas these 40+ foot RV's shouldn't go, e.g. low clearances, restricted/prohibited routes, etc.
- Not all campgrounds are listed, the database is growing but most likely only by user submission, not sure the site owner does any research for new adds.
- looking for PA parks needs to be double checked with Passport, not the site owners fault as parks join and leave the PA network all the time.

As mentioned, I use the wizard to do general routing to get an idea of how far I can get daily, this is a great tool. For actual routing I default to our GPS, a Garmin DEZL760, it will route me away form almost everything I need to stay away from.