Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2014, 02:32 AM   #1

Toilet broke

Well very inconveniently toilet flush step broke last night on my wife. So I had to get up, go out side in 30 degrees turn the water off till I could figure out what had happened. It appears that the peddle rocks on a plastic shaft that fits into a groove. And it has worn the groove out and the peddle slipped out and fell off. I tryed to slip it back in but takes only two pumps and it off again. Dose anyone know of the repair?

Alan & Debbie Cheney
2011 DENALI HD 1 TON
2013 40KB LIMITED
40KB LIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:08 AM   #2

Hi happened to me too. Got ahold of Thetford they said they have heard of this before. They made me get the mod.-serial # off the back of toilet, you cant see it they told me to take a picture with my phone ( Not there first rodeo) .......Than they wanted a copy of my purchase agreement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know how big the e-bay market is on Thetford ill gotten Aqua Magic style II toilets handles is ......... that's how I made all my money. That aside if you go to the manufacturer of the toilet you will get it faster than going to redwood. Unless you have a dealer nearby that has the part you might be able to expedite your request. If you be carful and use the ball of your foot to hold the pivoting point with your foot and flush with your heel it can be done........remember our ancestors and how they had to go to the outhouse fighting coyote's and bears both ways (that's what my Grandpa said). How did we ever get a man to the moon?
Old 12-12-2014, 03:58 AM   #3

Ok thanks ill see what i can do tomorow.

Alan & Debbie Cheney
2011 DENALI HD 1 TON
2013 40KB LIMITED
Old 12-12-2014, 04:26 AM   #4

Im thinking of just removing this one and replacing it with the Dometic 510 like I had in my last 5wheel. It lasted 5 years with only a seal change.

Alan & Debbie Cheney
2011 DENALI HD 1 TON
2013 40KB LIMITED
Old 12-12-2014, 04:34 AM   #5

warranty warranty warranty
Old 12-12-2014, 05:23 AM   #6

Same thing happened to us.
First, the flush valve inside the toilet stopped returning to the closed position on it's own. So we started to gently raise the pedal with our foot to close the valve and stop the water from running. Then one day the pedal fell off, the water wouldn't stop running and the bathroom flooded.
Thetford just sent us new parts, but now we have to find someone to install them. The CS person at Thetford told me that the part will wear quickly unless when flushing your foot presses straight down. I really didn't think that it operated any other way. It seemed very odd to me that a water appliance, that is extremely essential, would be so delicate. I'm almost afraid to leave the RV without turning the water off.
Anyone have a different toilet that is not so fragile?

2014 36FB, 2012 F350 DRW,
Onan, Washer/Dryer, Dish Washer, Satellite Internet, Comfort Ride Hitch
Current location: Ozarks, MO
Marilyn H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn H View Post
Same thing happened to us.
First, the flush valve inside the toilet stopped returning to the closed position on it's own. So we started to gently raise the pedal with our foot to close the valve and stop the water from running. Then one day the pedal fell off, the water wouldn't stop running and the bathroom flooded.
Thetford just sent us new parts, but now we have to find someone to install them. The CS person at Thetford told me that the part will wear quickly unless when flushing your foot presses straight down. I really didn't think that it operated any other way. It seemed very odd to me that a water appliance, that is extremely essential, would be so delicate. I'm almost afraid to leave the RV without turning the water off.
Anyone have a different toilet that is not so fragile?
I'm thinking of adding a 1/4 turn shut off valve in the pex line, behind the toilet.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
I'm thinking of adding a 1/4 turn shut off valve in the pex line, behind the toilet.
Our last 5th Wheel had a shutoff valve in the water line behind the toilet.
Sure wish Redwood did the same, it was nice to be able to shut off the toilet water right at the toilet.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #9

We had the pedal on our toilet come off last winter after about 1 year in service, same problem as posted above. We were able to turn the water valve and flapper valve manually for a few days before we got to Yuma where we got a replacement toilet at Al's RV.

After looking at the design (which is heroic and overly complicated in moving the water and flapper valves), I suspected that any replacement parts would fail again. I chucked the toilet and replaced it with a Dometic, the install was trouble free, no re-piping required although the Dometic is slightly longer in size than the original. There is some slack in the plastic water line coming from the basement, I was able to use the original 90 degree fitting that connects the toilet to the water line

Looking at the way that pedal works I believe that folks having flooding is the first clue that the pedal is starting to fail.

The Dometic has a replaceable water valve assembly, you don't have to replace the entire toilet if it fails, another bonus. If anyone wants the model number of the Dometic toilet I can dig it out.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #10

I have had a toilet fail in a prior fifth wheel resulting in a flooded bedroom in the middle of the night. From that point on I place water alarms next to the toilet, under each of the sinks and in the basement. I also turn off the water to the RV every time I leave. Once you get used to shutting the water off it becomes habit just like locking your door when you leave.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #11

Just for info, that stupid peddle cost approx 50 bucks from Thetford. It is a known problem and as described a very poor design. Plus on the Thetford site it's listed as an Entry Level Toilet, really great for a Higher End Full Timers unit.
Any way, many on the Montana forum have gone through the same thing and replaced with either the Dometic 310 or 320. Believe the 320 is a little larger so some measuring would be required before purchase.
We're on our second peddle, but I did drill a small hole into the center of it's mounting surface so I can give it a shot of silicone spray every once in a while, figure it can't hurt.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #12

This is something. I had all of the same symptoms before it broke. A month ago it did close all the way at night just after dumping the black tank the day before. The next day wife said the toilet is full again. It must have ran all night to fill it completely back up. So we would lift up on peddle after using it, this seamed to fix it so I thought untill it broke off. If everyone is having this problem then I'm just going to replace it with the Demetic 510 like I had before. It never had a problem in 5 years of daily use.

Alan & Debbie Cheney
2011 DENALI HD 1 TON
2013 40KB LIMITED
Old 12-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #13

When my Thetford went out my extended warranty replaced it with the Dometic, the installer talked the warranty people and convince them to do this.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #14

510 looks like a nice jon!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #15

we had a dometic 310 and changed it out for the 320. No problems with the 310 just wanted an elongated toilet like in my house.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #16

I located a dealer here in Denver today. I'll wait to see what they plan to do. He said they are booked out till Jan. I told him I don't need a tech to look at it, I will bring the toilet to you. He said if I could do that then he could speed up the proses. So we will see.

Alan & Debbie Cheney
2011 DENALI HD 1 TON
2013 40KB LIMITED
Old 12-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #17

you can replace the handle yourself its pretty foolproof. I did mine took 5min tops
Old 12-13-2014, 01:15 AM   #18

I really like it because of the height after having both knee replaced, this really helps getting up.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #19

We recently replaced our Thetford toilet with a Dometic 510. We had a problem with the water valve on the Thetford and had to remove the toilet from the rig to work on it. We assembled the part, and could not get the pedal re-installed. We took it to an RV repair facility, who indicated that they could not locate parts, so extended warranty provided us a new Dometic for 510. We previously installed a shut off valve on the water inlet due to reported issues with potential toilet overflow. We really like the Dometic, and is apparently serviceable without having to remove from coach.
trinita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #20

I know this is kinda red neck but untill I can get if fixed. I drilled small 1/4 hole in the out side end of the shaft that it rides on. Got a 3 1/2 wood screw and screwed it to the other end of shaft hole witch dose not enter the toilet drain aeria. So now the screw keeps it from falling off.

Alan & Debbie Cheney
2011 DENALI HD 1 TON
2013 40KB LIMITED