Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

Tires - Slow Leak

We have a TPMS on our truck and coach. On our last trip I was alarmed by the TPMS after about 150 miles...one of my tires on the coach had gone from 110psi to under 90psi so I pulled into the next truck stop and inspected the tire, no visual problems, so I added air to get it back up to the proper pressure [was a little concerned about how much air to add with the tires being hot from travel but decided to inflate to the full 110psi].

Started watching the TPMS more closely as I continued...same problem, after a short time the tire pressure started dropping. I had about 300 more miles to go so watched the pressure and when it got back down to about 90psi I again stopped and refilled the tire. Got to my destination where we are to stay for an extended period.

Instead of addressing the problem right away I waited, about 3 weeks. During this time the pressure didn't budge, stayed at 88psi each time I checked it over the three week period.

Today I had the tire checked. [love the auto leveling system on these coaches, so did the guy who cam to fix the tire]. After he removed the wheel he started checking...all the way around the outside tread...no problems, front bead at the rim...no problems, rear bead...no problems. Then he checked the valve, when he first poured soapy water on the stem nothing happened, then he wiggled it...BUBBLES!!!

He tightened the flat nut holding the valve into the rim...solved the problem, no more bubbles.

I think that solved the problem, I'll continue to check the pressure periodically while still here and for sure before getting underway. Then I'll keep a close watch on the TPMS while driving.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #2

Just one more story of how TPMS is worth every cent. Didn't have them til a year ago, now DON'T try to take them away.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #3

Agreed, I bought mine before I took delivery of the coach, installed them on the truck as soon as I received them, put them on the coach while at the dealer before I drove it off the lot!!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #4

Are there a few, good manufacturers of the TPMS?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Are there a few, good manufacturers of the TPMS?
I've had the TST monitoring system for over 5 years, and it on our second truck & 5th wheel It measures both pressure and temperature. The sensors have replaceable batteries that are available just about anywhere. They have a sensor now that you don't have to remove to add air. Didn't have when I bought mine. Have only had to replace one sensor and that was because a person changing a tire got carried with it, tried to put one too tight and broke the center loose. Check them out.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #6

Does anyone know if TireTraker and TST are made by the same company? I've been on the TireTraker web site and they say the top three models on the market are exactly the same and made by the same Chinese company.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #7

I too have the TST, ours is the 507 system.
We have 4 regular [truck front and outside rear wheels] and six of the flow-thru sensors [inside rear truck wheels [I have extenders on the inside rear wheels so I can get to them easily] and all four of the rig's wheels. The sensors are secured to the stems to prevent theft. As stated by Roger & Cheryl, the batteries [CR1632] in the sensors can be changed by the user. The monitor control panel alerts when the batteries are low.

spindrift...I do not believe the two systems are the same???
Old 06-11-2014, 03:02 AM   #8

X3 on the TST!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:00 AM   #9

I don't know if the tire tracker and tst are made by the same company or not, but they are different. The tire tracker monitor has the vehicle schematic in a vertical position where the tst is in a horizontal position. The mounting is different, and with the tst you can set the alarm points not go just by percentage change. The sensors are different. Tst doesn't have a locking ring to prevent theft. They have a special tool for installation and removal. I didn't see where tire tracker had the sensors you could fill through. These are the differences I noticed after looking and their web site and reading there on line manual. I am maybe prejudiced, but from there site and what I have, I prefer the TST.