Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2021, 04:00 AM   #1

Tires not wearing right

Hello Everyone,
Hoping to find someone with some ideas on my improper tire wear. One side is not too bad, mostly some wear on the out side area of the tires, but the other side has significant wear on the inside area of the tire. These are the original tires and are 6 years old. I am replacing them but wonder why they are wearing this way. See pictures.
The camper has NEVER been even close to being overloaded. I always check tire pressure before leaving on a trip, and have a TPMS. I haven't hit anything like curves.
One rv repair shop said they would "start" their assessment with replacing the wheel bearings. I have had the wheel bearings repacked every other year (haven't been putting a lot of miles on it, so I don't do it yearly), and they had been serviced last year.
So, before I pay for another wheel bearing service I thought I would just throw this out there to see what comes up. My other option is instead of throwing a bunch of money having it assessed, just to go ahead and replace the tires and keep an eye on them to see if they start wearing improperly. Suggestions?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210727_201056_resized_1.jpg (131.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20210727_201259_resized_1.jpg (105.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20210727_201326_resized_1.jpg (87.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20210727_201126_resized_1.jpg (114.9 KB, 8 views)
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #2

I had a set of Goodyear G614's that looked like that...I took them to a Goodyear owned facility.... Goodyear told me it was what they call "shoulder step" and was normal.....

I didn't like that answer and that is when I switched to the G114 - 17.5's

Will probably go to the Sailuns next if their stellar record stays the same in tiger next 3-4 years.. Then my Goodyears will be 5--6 years
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #3

IMHO those look like fairly normal wear!
The inner/outer edges will wear more due to the tires scrubbing making turns.
If those are 6+ years old they don't look bad. Mine were 6 years old with 60k +/- miles on them & were worn about the same.
If worn worse I'd say an alignment would be needed not bearings serviced.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:39 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I was actually going to get the Sailuns instead of the Goodyears when I replace the tires. I also cancelled the appointment I had with the RV repair shop that wanted to redo my wheel bearings and made one with a repair shop that said my axles is what needs to be looked at.
Thanks
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #5

I had over 15,000 miles on my goodyear tires at the time of upgrading to 17.5" wheels and tires. All 4 of my tires had wear on the outer edge of the inside and outside . I would say say what you are looking at is normal for these tire , My equipment trailer has goodyears also but not as many miles but they are showing some edge wear . That trailer has less then 4000 mile and isnt as heavy . I would not be concerned about what your seeing.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:59 AM   #6

Definitely have your axles checked; 1, to see if they are parallel to each other (I've seen where one side has about an inch and a half gap between the tires, and the other side has about a four inch gap). 2, check that they are aligned, and square to the trailer frame. If they're "doglegged" going down the road, they'll wear the edges quicker.
Langenhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:12 PM   #7

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrn View Post
Hello Everyone,
Hoping to find someone with some ideas on my improper tire wear. One side is not too bad, mostly some wear on the out side area of the tires, but the other side has significant wear on the inside area of the tire. These are the original tires and are 6 years old. I am replacing them but wonder why they are wearing this way. See pictures.
The camper has NEVER been even close to being overloaded. I always check tire pressure before leaving on a trip, and have a TPMS. I haven't hit anything like curves.
One rv repair shop said they would "start" their assessment with replacing the wheel bearings. I have had the wheel bearings repacked every other year (haven't been putting a lot of miles on it, so I don't do it yearly), and they had been serviced last year.
So, before I pay for another wheel bearing service I thought I would just throw this out there to see what comes up. My other option is instead of throwing a bunch of money having it assessed, just to go ahead and replace the tires and keep an eye on them to see if they start wearing improperly. Suggestions?
Thanks
Definitely get an alignment. I am currently waiting shipment of two axles and spring sets for my 3881ES. It is only 20 months owned and under 15k miles. Just had springs replaced in January, now 3 bad again. Same tire wear tipped me off. Turns out BOTH AXLES are bent. Don't recall anything that could have caused it...
Tntniemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #8

My previous tandem axle travel trailer (not Redwood) had a significant alignment problem with both axles from the factory. Took it to alignment shop and they diagnosed and fixed the issue. Price wasn’t too bad. Worth the peace of mind even if yours isn’t out of alignment.
Jeffmurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:20 AM   #9

I've said this before and I'll repeat:
While the Mor/ryde IS is expensive, by the time you're replaced axles, springs, and shackles multiple times you will be up to the cost of IS, only problem, they are now booking into 2023 for IS installs.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires