Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2021, 09:39 PM   #1

Tips For Outdoor Florida Summer RV Storage?

I figure there have to be a few of you that have experience with this that can help me. I have to leave my Redwood on my RV site in Southwest Florida. I have put it on blocks, anchored down to the concrete and hard piped it to the sewer. I was thinking of unplugging it from 50 amp power and just using an extension cord to run a residential dehumidifier into the kitchen sink to remove humidity. Closing the slides, putting pails of damp rid around the interior and covering the tires. Opening every cupboard and drawer for ventilation. Our site will supply a fair amount of shade but it gets really hot and humid down here. I would remove the wires from my fully charged and watered batteries and just leave them in the front compartment where they are all the time. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:16 AM   #2

Do you have any guess how much water the dehumidifier might generate?? I would be concerned about possibly filling your Gray Tank, because I wouldn't want to leave them open because of possible visitors from the sewer line.
I know lots of folks in our park here in Sebring, FL that just use buckets of Damp Rid and don't have an issue or use a HumidStat hooked up to their A/C.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Do you have any guess how much water the dehumidifier might generate?? I would be concerned about possibly filling your Gray Tank, because I wouldn't want to leave them open because of possible visitors from the sewer line.
I know lots of folks in our park here in Sebring, FL that just use buckets of Damp Rid and don't have an issue or use a HumidStat hooked up to their A/C.
Not sure I understand the "visitors" from the sewer line; what might visit??
philstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstat View Post
Not sure I understand the "visitors" from the sewer line; what might visit??
I've heard this for years & never had unwelcome guest visit when leaving the valves open! But I always put a sag right at the rv connection forming a p trap in the hose which maybe kept the guest where they belong.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:30 AM   #5

I stay here in Florida for seven months out of the year and always leave the valves to my grey tanks open and have never had a visitor. If I do decide to use a dehumidifier I will only leave the valve cracked to keep anything large from crawling into my galley gray water tank. I was really hoping that someone who actually has experience preparing their Redwood for sitting in Florida for 5 months during the summer would advise me as to what they have done. I'm thinking about 95 degrees with 98% humidity and torrential rain most afternoons.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:45 AM   #6

Ours has been in Florida for 4 summers. We leave the ACs on set to 82. We also have someone that checks the trailer every 2 weeks.
Mark
Old 03-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #7

Thanks Mark.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:42 AM   #8

Fla

If you wanted to leave the valve open, you could maybe use some type of screen inside the sewer hose to prevent any intruders. Maybe a piece of patio screen over the discharge pipe before you connect the hose.
Tony97gt is offline   Reply With Quote