Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #41

We have had 3 different motor homes before our RW and all of them popped as one point or another. Our RW is no worse than any of the other RV's we have had. I have always put blocks under the jacks so they are not fully extended. This seems to stop most of the popping for us. Our Newmar gas Coach was the worst especially at night if temps started getting down below 40. I have learned to ignore the pop. BTW My wife calls it selective hearing she says I am good at it LOL
Old 10-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #42

So not just the popping - I also get the sensation that it dropped a bit when it happens at night. Always remains level so maybe its just brain trickery, or even some of that Wyoming Whiskey that keeps creeping into my glass at night on vacation, who knows.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:44 PM   #43

hahaha...wyoming whiskey - sounds good about now.

I noticed the nose on my coach will drop about 3/4 of an inch over a 3 week timeline if I dont happen to cycle the fluid at least once. Also, when my jacks get to popping - especially with the dryer and washer going, one would think a herd of buffalo are outside the coach.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:52 PM   #44

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
That's cause your overloading the washer
Old 10-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #45

We have a 2012 RL and have not experienced any of the thumping or issues associated to the jacks. Makes me wonder what they changed?
Old 10-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #46

they must have been good in 2012!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
We have a 2012 RL and have not experienced any of the thumping or issues associated to the jacks. Makes me wonder what they changed?

We also have a 2012 36RL (built in August,2011). We have always had an occasional popping in the leveling jacks, but, I always attributed that to being normal in hydraulic systems. It has never been objectionable to me but I did have the "Lippert fix" installed at the factory service center two years ago. That may have made a slight improvement, but, it still occasionally pops or creaks with temperature changes. I don't know what type (of the 3 oil) anti-stiction oil they used. It is a rare hydraulic system of any kind that doesn't experience that condition.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #48

My experience with the popping

Let me add to the scenarios about the popping. I did not want to respond earlier as I wanted to see if the change I made was effective.

Our 2013 36FB did not have the dreaded popping until about 1 year after delivery. At first it was occasional and then increased in frequency. It was most noticeable during temperature fluctuations, in both directions.

Earlier this summer we got a surprise when we lowered the front legs and the two large slides came out. Once they were all the way out, the front legs would continue to work. Lippert said debris must have gotten in a solenoid, dealer service writer said it was impossible. So much for contacting the dealer. I could not get it in right then so I kept using it. After a few cycles, the problem went away.

Since we were approaching the 3 year mark which is the recommended fluid change period and we had the slide issue, I decided to replace the fluid with the recommended Automatic Transmission Fluid. I called Lippert to confirm that ATF is what I needed as the viscosity seemed so different. They said ATF was recommended due to thickening of the original fluid in cold environments. I also added a pint of fork oil (don't know the brand) which I had not done yet.

It has been 6 weeks now since the change. We have been in the same fluctuating temperatures we had been in before when we had the popping. Highs in the 80's and lows in the low 60's. Knock on wood, no popping as of yet.

Hope this helps. YMMV.

Gary
csg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #49

I notice our Pop once in awhile but on all our MH's we had in the past the pooping was about the same so I guess it has never concerned us. I think we don't even notice anymore we have heard it for so many years.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:39 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by csg11 View Post
Let me add to the scenarios about the popping. I did not want to respond earlier as I wanted to see if the change I made was effective.

Our 2013 36FB did not have the dreaded popping until about 1 year after delivery. At first it was occasional and then increased in frequency. It was most noticeable during temperature fluctuations, in both directions.

Earlier this summer we got a surprise when we lowered the front legs and the two large slides came out. Once they were all the way out, the front legs would continue to work. Lippert said debris must have gotten in a solenoid, dealer service writer said it was impossible. So much for contacting the dealer. I could not get it in right then so I kept using it. After a few cycles, the problem went away.

Since we were approaching the 3 year mark which is the recommended fluid change period and we had the slide issue, I decided to replace the fluid with the recommended Automatic Transmission Fluid. I called Lippert to confirm that ATF is what I needed as the viscosity seemed so different. They said ATF was recommended due to thickening of the original fluid in cold environments. I also added a pint of fork oil (don't know the brand) which I had not done yet.

It has been 6 weeks now since the change. We have been in the same fluctuating temperatures we had been in before when we had the popping. Highs in the 80's and lows in the low 60's. Knock on wood, no popping as of yet.

Hope this helps. YMMV.

Gary

It is interesting to hear about the recommendation to change the hydraulic fluid at 3 years. That is the first I have heard of that. I guess that I had better read my owner's manual again.

Also interesting to hear your results with the transmission fluid.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #51

I agree, did not know about changing the hydraulic fluid either.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote