Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2021, 03:12 AM   #1

Thetford Toilet...Your Thoughts

Hello Everyone...Approaching our first year of full time in our RW....we have had a few issues...to be expected, nothing serious. I have noticed that our toilet is starting to act up a little...the peddle flush feels a little loose and there is the odd drop of water on the floor under the flush valve area.
Our is a Thetford 42072...style II , High unit...I called a trusted source where I get parts when needed. Told them I was looking for a rebuild kit for this unit. "John" the parts man... is one of those guys that has a million part #'s in his head...he is an RV tech and part owner in the RV dealership he works at..His advice was NOT to spend any $$ on that Thetford model toilet....said its been one of the most problematic toilets that has let so many down...usually resulting in water everywhere...( time for a reminder to turn your water off at the pedestal when you leave your unit.)...His poor review of that toilet was news to me...but its been quite a few years since I was an active tech....and RV parts quality has always been all over the map...Any others have had issues with that toilet ?
FYI....he recommended the Sealand 320 (Dometic)....BTW...he sells them all.
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertree View Post
Hello Everyone...Approaching our first year of full time in our RW....we have had a few issues...to be expected, nothing serious. I have noticed that our toilet is starting to act up a little...the peddle flush feels a little loose and there is the odd drop of water on the floor under the flush valve area.
Our is a Thetford 42072...style II , High unit...I called a trusted source where I get parts when needed. Told them I was looking for a rebuild kit for this unit. "John" the parts man... is one of those guys that has a million part #'s in his head...he is an RV tech and part owner in the RV dealership he works at..His advice was NOT to spend any $$ on that Thetford model toilet....said its been one of the most problematic toilets that has let so many down...usually resulting in water everywhere...( time for a reminder to turn your water off at the pedestal when you leave your unit.)...His poor review of that toilet was news to me...but its been quite a few years since I was an active tech....and RV parts quality has always been all over the map...Any others have had issues with that toilet ?
FYI....he recommended the Sealand 320 (Dometic)....BTW...he sells them all.
I would agree with your "trusted source" 100%.
The Dometic is much easier, cheaper to repair with parts more readily available.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #3

The toilet on our 2013 died after a year or so, the peddle fell off and fellow Redwood owners have issues with flooding (water doesn't shut off), they had to put a water valve in to stop the flooding. We dumped ours for a Dometic, no problems since!
Old 04-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

Our Thetford actually lasted for 6 years before it stopped holding water. Just replaced with the Dometic 320.
We're "Most Timers" spending 9 to 10 months in the RW.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:35 PM   #5

Dometic 320 gets a Two thumbs up. We replaced our thetford (junk) after two years. While you are at it put a shut off valve behind the toilet for future issues. I saw a you tube video last week that was a great option and way to connect the valve and flexible line to back of the toilet.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:54 PM   #6

dometic 320 with a hand sprayer , It is roughtly 17"~18" high and has a elongated bowl. I got a upgraded toilet seat that is plastic from Home depot , it drops slow when you just let it drop and has a light that when the seat is lifted it turns on so at Night I don't wake up my wife will bath room lights on. It is closer to the wall then the old Theford but it fits! it flush's better , meaning it get the entire bowl wet easier.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #7

Dump the toilet !!! Save yourself from impending doom .. Not if but when applies to Thetford ... It will fail ... Get the Dometic , easy swap...
2018 RW 3991RD
2018 Ram Dually
brad chilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:46 PM   #8

We had the dreaded flood from this toilet. Used shop vac and big fans to dry things out over 24 hours. Hoping there is no damage to the wood!
Lynn Yeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:45 AM   #9

320 is the way to go. And while you have your water off, now would be a good time to put in a ball valve to shut water off to your toilet. That's what I did. Couldn't stand that small round toilet.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #10
Bob

Dometic 320

Check out the reviews, not good.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/hygien...etic-320-25297
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:36 AM   #11

In regards to the toilet flooding the bathroom, my wife and found out a long time ago that 2 things will give you peace of mind. 1) purchase inexpensive water leak detectors and place one under each sink, next to toilet, and in underbelly where all plumbing is. 2) whenever leaving the fifth wheel for any length of time shut your water off! Trust me, getting up to go to the bathroom at 3 in the morning and being greeted with soaking wet bedroom carpet is no fun.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:15 AM   #12

We changed to a Dometic 320 a number of years ago after continued issues with our Thetford Toilet.
No problems since changing to the 320.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:45 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
We changed to a to Dometic toilet and one of the best features is the ability to change the rubber seal from the top without having to disassemble the toilet bowl as was required with the Thetford toilet.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:11 PM   #14

I agree, seal replacement on the Dometic unit is fairly easy.
Since we have had our Dometic 320 for a number of years now, I have replaced the seal once, I purchased a aftermarket seal to save a few $$, the seal did not work very well at all.
I then purchased the more expensive OEM Dometic Seal, no problems since.
You can see a difference in the material used and the fit between the OEM Dometic Seal and the aftermarket seal.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote