Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Thermostat reading nothing, no heat

On our 2019 3901 WB we are currently having an issue with or thermostats. All the heating and cooling is controlled be the "in command" digital display and I can also access it via my smart phone.
Last night and this morning the unit is showing a blank for the current temperature on all 3 zones. This is blocking the furnace from coming on ( both the heat pump in the bedroom and the gas furnace in the living room).
I have gas, I have power and I've reset the in command unit and all the breakers.. but there still is no reading on the temperature.
The only way I've got heat is from the fireplace. But this is only 5000 BTU's, so that's not cutting it here in the White Mountains of NH.. It's 39° this morning..
What do you think is going on?
3 AC's. Full Body Paint, Winegard Traveler Satellite, Solar Panels, Residential Fridge, Sleep Number, Air ride, Slide Toppers, 2 3K inverters, Wife and 2 dogs/Full Bar!
Bigrisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #2

I'm thinking it may be do to a low voltage situation. We put in a solar panel and 2 6 volt batteries when we bought the coach in July, but just recently upgraded to another panel and 4 more batteries.. these past few days we've been dry camping and I set up in. a partially shaded area that isn't allowing the panels to get direct sun. Last evening I saw that the voltage was down and one of my inverters had faulted out. I fired up the generator for an hour or so and it brought the voltage up .
This morning I was still showing 12.1 volts, but I'm not sure if that's for all the 6 batteries, or it's only reading the first bank (I would think it's set up together, but I don't know how it's charging).
Anyway, I've got the generator on and I'm running the fireplace and the batteries are getting charged..
Hopefully the in command will eventually catch up.
I had something similar this summer and had trouble with the AC's, but we are in a campground the had major power distribution issues and it kept tripping our inverter. Eventually, that issue fixed itself and I haven't had an issue until last night.
3 AC's. Full Body Paint, Winegard Traveler Satellite, Solar Panels, Residential Fridge, Sleep Number, Air ride, Slide Toppers, 2 3K inverters, Wife and 2 dogs/Full Bar!
Old 09-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #3

So, with the help of Derek at Harvey RV, I figured out what read wrong.
When I ran the voltage down, the In Command unit shut off so I wouldn't damage it with low voltage.
After the batteries got back up, I had to power off the generator and then turn the main battery switch off for 10 seconds.
Then I turned on the switch and the In Command was back on line and we got the furnace and the heat pump rolling.
I'm all set.. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #4

Great info for all. Thanks!
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrisky View Post
I'm thinking it may be do to a low voltage situation. We put in a solar panel and 2 6 volt batteries when we bought the coach in July, but just recently upgraded to another panel and 4 more batteries.. these past few days we've been dry camping and I set up in. a partially shaded area that isn't allowing the panels to get direct sun. Last evening I saw that the voltage was down and one of my inverters had faulted out. I fired up the generator for an hour or so and it brought the voltage up .
This morning I was still showing 12.1 volts, but I'm not sure if that's for all the 6 batteries, or it's only reading the first bank (I would think it's set up together, but I don't know how it's charging).
Anyway, I've got the generator on and I'm running the fireplace and the batteries are getting charged..
Hopefully the in command will eventually catch up.
I had something similar this summer and had trouble with the AC's, but we are in a campground the had major power distribution issues and it kept tripping our inverter. Eventually, that issue fixed itself and I haven't had an issue until last night.

Where are you staying in NH? I have a place off RT118 in Dorchester near Rumney . Any time the battery get below 11.5 volts your on the edge of stuff not working . We don't see many Redwood in this area , up until this summer there hasn't been any dealer that sell them around here in MASS.

Also you may want to see how much sun the panels have on them , this time of year with the rain the panels don't produce much power on gray days. if you have to dry camp longer more panels or fuel for the generator is a must. Low voltage can ruin the control boards on appliances.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:13 AM   #6

Yes, we are leaning to use the solar..
And we are at the sugar shack in Thornton.
Love this place.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:04 AM   #7

Apparently Redwood changed the thermostat for the ‘19 model. All of my tstats are separate from the InCommand. So anyone with ‘18 or older units probably will be unfamiliar with this issue.

Don’t know if you know but the InCommand does have an auto-start feature for your generator if the batteries drop to a pre-set voltage.

Also, outta curiosity: how did you fit 4 batteries with a genset?

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #8

We didn't opt for the generator, we did solar and batteries, and upgraded to a second (2000W) inverter. But, it won't run the AC's..
We have 2 Honda 2000i generators we parallel, but that only will do one ac..