Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #1

Thermostat issue on 2015 RW 38RL

I recently changed out my heating element, as it appeared to no longer be working. Unfortunately, after replacing it and throwing the old one away, I realized that it was not the element at all. It turned out that the wiring connection from the heating element up to the thermostat had been melted off at the thermostat side. Even the male blade had been burn off.

I ordered both the electric and propane thermostats to go ahead and replace both and I have run into an issue trying to find a 90 degree wire connector to hook it back up. It is a blade type connector and it is the female side. I've been to three electrical supply stores, all my local Lowes, Home Depot, etc. and no one carries them. I've even been to multiple online RV websites and they act like they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Anyone had this issue before and able to find the stinkin' connectors?

Thanks
sbenhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbenhoff View Post
I recently changed out my heating element, as it appeared to no longer be working. Unfortunately, after replacing it and throwing the old one away, I realized that it was not the element at all. It turned out that the wiring connection from the heating element up to the thermostat had been melted off at the thermostat side. Even the male blade had been burn off.

I ordered both the electric and propane thermostats to go ahead and replace both and I have run into an issue trying to find a 90 degree wire connector to hook it back up. It is a blade type connector and it is the female side. I've been to three electrical supply stores, all my local Lowes, Home Depot, etc. and no one carries them. I've even been to multiple online RV websites and they act like they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Anyone had this issue before and able to find the stinkin' connectors?

Thanks

Are you talking about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=306724011

Or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Morris-Produc..._&dpSrc=detail

You should be able to find this type of connector at an Ace Hardware in their "Specialty Parts" department where you can purchase in small quantities rather than a box of 100.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:11 AM   #3

connector

if you pm me your email i can send you a pic of what i have. i don't know how to upload to the site i will send them to you if they will do your job. thimasandbetts is the original inventor of "stakons"
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:04 AM   #4

We found the same shorted connection on 2 RWs a couple years ago. There's 2 other things you may want to do while at it, trim about a 1/4" off the lip of the black reset cover & fold the metal edge of the opening over a bit. That's what caused the short on both of ours.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #5

Thumbs up Issue resovled

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I did eventually find a "flag" type connection at a Ace Hardware store. I was just about to pull the trigger on ordering a big bag of connections from Amazon, but since I only needed two, I waited just long enough.

Now maybe I can starting conserving a little more propane and start using my electric side. Again, thanks to everyone for your comments.

Steve
sbenhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #6

Maybe my "stupid" is showing here, but I am wondering now after reading this... Our "rear" AC/Heat Pump (the one that shares the furnace controller) hasn't worked for some time (been struggling to get a tech to look at it). The air circ works fine on both A/C and Heat, but the temp is always ambient. Is it possible that there is nothing wrong with the roof unit and the problem is in the thermostat??!! I will have to have Todd take a look at it. I never even thought of that.
On a positive note, we DID learn that ONE heat pump is more than enough to heat the coach... so that's good to know. ;-)

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:30 AM   #7

not sure of the actual difference but if say your unit is 45f anfdyou need it to go to 70f the t stat will automatically use the furnace even if you try to use the heat pump
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #8

Thanks, yes, I know... The one unit does not cool nor does it heat at all. I am hoping maybe it is the thermostat, will be checking!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote