Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2019, 04:01 AM   #1

The Stink from the Sink...and other issues...

Our unit is only three months old. We don't put stuff down the kitchen sink drain. We wipe everything as clean as possible before washing. But we (I) do cook a lot so yeah stuff gets down there. It gets an odor pretty quick. It's gotten hot here on the Mississippi coast and I have to dump it every 2-3 days. Before it got hot here it would last a couple of more days. I've used the orange stuff, and the quick-dissolve tabs, vinegar etc without much luck. I've filled and flushed. Still stinks.

There may be a couple of clues: only two sinks drain to this gray tank. The kitchen sink and the wine bar sink. I can't smell anything from the wine bar sink. The kitchen sink also has a drain issue. Drains fine with the low-flow faucet running, but dump a bucket of water in it and it will drain fast for a bit, then bubbles will come out of the drain, and it will slow-drain.

I am unfamiliar with RV plumbing. Any idea what the cause might be? and where? Would it have anything to do with what's in the picture? which is behind the drawers next to the sink and looks to be the first thing in line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190514_103734.jpg (334.2 KB, 26 views)
glenwolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #2

The white object in the pic is a Hepvo trap. Remove it from the piping and give it a good cleaning. Do an internet search on Hepvo trap to get a good idea of how it works, and how to maintain them.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat View Post
The white object in the pic is a Hepvo trap. Remove it from the piping and give it a good cleaning. Do an internet search on Hepvo trap to get a good idea of how it works, and how to maintain them.
Thanks! I will try that first as it looks easy enough. Hepvo....there's a word I've never heard before.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #4

I don't think cleaning it is going to work......

I know, the first reaction is "it was snaked". Maybe, but not by me. I don't even own a snake. I don't see any tears or anything where it looks like something grabbed it. It's just inside out.

We've had the slow drain problem since we got the unit. I can't imagine the dealer snaked it. Maybe though, they were pretty bad. I was thinking maybe the factory pressure tested the system after it was installed or something. Who knows. It's fixed now. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190610_093655.jpg (122.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #5

What is that in the trap? Looks like a chew bone for a dog.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat View Post
What is that in the trap? Looks like a chew bone for a dog.
It's the reed from the Hepvo valve reversed to the outside. It's pulled inside-out.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #7

Interesting, we've had that happen twice in our bathroom sinks, but hasn't done it now in several years.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Interesting, we've had that happen twice in our bathroom sinks, but hasn't done it now in several years.
That is odd. Each sink once? Could it have come that way and gone unnoticed?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #9

The bathroom sinks use a common drain line. So yes the first time it happened was shortly after purchase, but the second time was much later.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote