Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2021, 12:56 AM   #1

Tanks sensor issues

Anyone had issues with tanks sensors? Have used stuff to clean but when all empty still read full or nearly especially black tank. I imagine it is a pain to change them. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Germans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germans View Post
Anyone had issues with tanks sensors? Have used stuff to clean but when all empty still read full or nearly especially black tank. I imagine it is a pain to change them. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Been rving for 40+ years & have never had one that those sensors were more than little red lights signifying nothing.
You can try ice, magic potions, various elixirs, spend time & $$ so that they may work til the tank fills the next time.
Your shower will back up, usually about the time you're all lathered up, when that grey tank gets full. The galley tank typically last til the other tanks need dumped. The toilet has a distinctive burp/gurgle when flushed indicating it's nearing full. Learn these signs & forget looking at the sensors.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:13 AM   #3

Thanks. I pretty much gathered that they only work when new but after several years of use they become useless Makes sense just to keep eye on how drains are workin
Germans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germans View Post
Thanks. I pretty much gathered that they only work when new but after several years of use they become useless Makes sense just to keep eye on how drains are workin
From my experiences it doesn't take years of use to become useless, typically only a couple tank fulls.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:14 PM   #5

tank sensor

I agree the sensor system on most fifth wheels leave much to be desired. That being said I did have a time when I found one of the sensor wires had come off one of the black tank sensors causing it to show full all the time. I have a 2016 Redwood. Good luck.
bgartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:02 PM   #6

I have a 2013 36 RL and I fought with it for years. I finally started running the tank flusher for 20 minutes when I dump. It seems to keep the black tank clean and the sensor at empty when I start. It took a few cleanings but you might try it it’s free unlike most.

Best of luck
Old 09-19-2021, 12:34 AM   #7

Flush the tank when you dump if possible. Then put a couple capfuls of Murphy’s oil soap and a 10lb bag of ice in the tank. Add a couple gallons of water, then drive to your next camping spot. The Murphy’s makes the tank walls slick so stuff doesn’t stick. The ice sloshes around knocking off whatever crud is stuck to the sensors. This has worked very well in my 2017 36RL.
dave737 is offline   Reply With Quote