Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #41

Chief, while I'm not trying to defend RW, you stay you bought the unit used, so you have no idea the Original Owner did or didn't do. Very possible they made the mistake a took the unit to a Camp World for some service and we all know for the most part that is a HUGE mistake.
We had a '16 39MB and over 40K miles on it and have had few problems, but then again we had the MORryde IS and Disc Brakes installed before our unit was delivered.
The main purpose of this thread, I'm trying to show RW Management that there are many more suspension issues than they think, and push to get the MORryde System added as an option.
Good luck with you new unit.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief AFD View Post
In continuation of my previous post to clarify things the axle was shipped to redwood as a axle only with no brakes installed per lippert. I also replaced all of the bearing seals with oil seals. 90 weight gear oil replacing the grease. The bearings should outlast the trailer by doing this. Look at semi truck front wheels sometime. Other issues we had were water intrusion under the bed slide, furnace heat going everywhere under the floor but hardly any coming out of the registers. Air conditioner running same time as the furnace (not the heat pump). Fuse blowing for the front thermostat and front closet light. Front bed slide suddenly stopped which was caused by a wire nut falling off the wire for the motor. Really a wire nut not even a butt connector. Front passthrough compartment wet. This unit has very low miles on it and is no longer my problem. I unloaded it and got a. Berkshire xlt 43a. Hopefully this works out better. Time will tell. Also I will admit I got the redwood slightly used but was only used a few times by the original owner. A word to the wise I personally would NEVER buy an rv brand new. Most of the warranties suck. Most manufacturers won't stand behind their products, and many of the dealers are incompetent. Unless you can fix things yourself be prepared to spend a lot of money. Godspeed to all of you redwood owners. Maybe I could be a guest speaker at the next rally.
Sorry to hear you such a bad experience, hopefully the replacement will be better.
With that being said, as the 2nd owner you have no idea how it was treated before, the previous owner could be as much, if not more, responsible for the condition as the manufacturer. If the PO didn't follow up with warranty items, failed to do periodic maintenance, didn't know how to do maintenance properly or their selling dealer was worthless then who knows how it was taken care of or how many of the faults were created by them. Are they the ones that did the bearings & left the 10 cent cotter pin out?
Not defending RW or their lack of QC, but in your case it may not have been totally their fault. Also you bought used & want to blame RW?? Now when you buy the used FR unit that may have issues will it be FRs fault or the POs??
ANYONE that owns a RV of any manufacturer, model or price range better be somewhat of a do-it-yourselfer as they all will need something done to them ALL the time. Unlike your S&B home these things are a rolling earthquake every time you move it down our wonderful highways therefore require more maintenance. If you can't or don't want to do your own maintenance then yes you can expect it to cost $$$ & lose the use of it for who knows how long.
Just FYI! There's not anyone from Thor, Keystone, Crossroads or Redwood monitoring this forum!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
Carl
I lost a front hub cap on our F350 dually on the same stretch of road, so it wasn't either of our faults!!!!
To make things worst, someone stold a rear cap on the same truck, it cost $160 at Ford. That means a set of four Plastic hubcaps cost over $850.....
Old 11-25-2019, 02:20 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastakid View Post
To make things worst, someone stold a rear cap on the same truck, it cost $160 at Ford. That means a set of four Plastic hubcaps cost over $850.....
I see those Ford center caps along the highway all the time, guess I should start gathering them up & sell for $50 on eBay.
Just the other day at a very abrupt overpass transition there were about half a dozen of them laying along the guardrail.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #45

We bought our 2015 39MB and as soon as we retired Nov 15, went straight to Mor Ryde, and installed the IS suspension system and replaced bearings with Timkin, already had Disc brakes and H tires.

Did this on yours and others advise on this post, still have the same tires as when bought, they still look brand new show hardly no wear.
Happy Thanksgiving every one, set your scales back 15 lbs all will be good.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #46

I lost a High Hat on my F350, while we were in Canada, don't know if it was stolen or came off due to some rough roads in Winnipeg, wife went shopping with my sister, and when she came back it
was gone gone gone.
And you're right they ain't cheap.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #47

Suspension issues

We purchased our 2015 Redwood 38GK new in the fall of 2015.
In May, 2019, we arrived in Oregon and discovered a the set of standard duty shackles on the passenger side of our 5th Wheel had both broken allowing the tires to move within 1/2" of each other (this was how we discovered the problem, it was obvious there was an issue) and we knew this posed a big safety issue. The trailer had approximately 25,000 miles on the road at that time. Unfortunately, we were in the position that our 2 night reservation was going to be inadequate because the trailer was not roadworthy and we needed to vacate the park. However, we were able to accomplish this by replacing the set of broken standard duty shackles with new heavy duty shackles while in the campground by a mobile repair technician. Due to the wear on the remaining 3 sets of shackles, for safety sake we decided to replace them along with the equalizers to prevent further problems.
Std duty shackles are 3/16" thick with wet bolts; Hvy duty shackles are 1/2" thick with wet bolts and bronze bushings. WHY WOULD ENGINEERS PUT STD DUTY COMPONENTS ON A 14,000 POUND 5TH WHEEL TRAILER????
We could not get the heavy duty shackle kit from Lippert in time to make the3 necessary move so we purchased Dexter heavy duty wet bolt system from a local supplier. The equalizers are solid with no rubber components. So far we are experiencing improved performance.
We contact Tom Woodiel in customer service at Crosswoods/Keystone to request reimbursement for the parts and labor for replacement of inadequate equipment in the amount of $950.00. Our request was rejected because our trailer was out of warranty. We felt strongly that this was an engineering issue. In our travels we have told many people of our concerns for safety and will continue to do so in hope that changes will be made by all RV manufacturers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0535.jpg (207.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0573.jpg (238.9 KB, 16 views)
R38Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:31 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
I lost a High Hat on my F350, while we were in Canada, don't know if it was stolen or came off due to some rough roads in Winnipeg, wife went shopping with my sister, and when she came back it
was gone gone gone.
And you're right they ain't cheap.
Thats not smart Jeff.... Blaming it on Karen ! !
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:00 AM   #49

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Our trailer when new had bad breaks we drove 120 miles from the dealer to home ot also had 5500 miles from being shipped from Indiana. We Had Ron install Totan discs on it and at that time all 4 electric brakes where covered in grease
O installed centrepoint suspension and joy rider shocks unit. I replaced all the worn out plastic bushings with bronze. We have put on 20000 miles on it since then. Still have 7k buggy springs and have no issues with them or the spring hangers
Old 11-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #50

I purchased a used 36rl a few months ago.The first thing I did was gusset the spring hangers. I had done the same on my previous Montana and never had a problem.I would post a picture but I don't know how.
kajolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #51

When you click the box to reply to post, above the text area is a paperclip type icon. That is to attach your files or pictures. There are size limits but pretty easy to use.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:46 PM   #52

Well now its happened to me and I'm not happy. Back on page one of this thread I posted that I replaced a wet bolt, no biggie, till yesterday. Coming in to Waco Tx we stopped at a rest area where I did my usual inspection I do at all stops and found a broken bracket that holds the leaf spring to the frame. We luckily found an rv repair guy that would fix it but I did have to drive it to him. All turned out ok BUT now I think I'm joining the IS crowd.

No offense to anyone on here but I thought I was immune to the issues it seems everyone else has had. NOPE. Putting more money in this thing just to make it road worthy, what a shame! HEY RV INDUSTRY, GET YOUR #%&@ TOGETHER. SOMEONES GOING TO GET KILLED.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #53

Joined the IS Club

New Development

I responded to this thread earlier about my axles not being tighten at the factory and them coming out of alignment on my new 2019 3941FL. When we arrived at our current site I id my usual after trip inspection an sure enough the rear curb side leaf spring was broken at the tang. I do not drive my unit over 65 MPH and always use Federal and State highways so it shows poor quality of components. I do give credit to Redwood, within three days of my call the confirmed they are sending out a person from Lippert to field repair the spring.

My wife and I are full-timers and decided to have a More/Ryde IS and disc brakes installed. Made our appointment at More/Ryde for this March. The company makes it easy to have the work done by letting you stay at thier facility while the work is being done. Can't wait for the new system.

Tom
tjh@reagan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:16 PM   #54
Site Team

Tom - the only comment I can make from someone who did IS and disc brakes over 6 years and 43,000 trouble free and worryfree miles ago is .......... you will consider it the best $$$$ you've ever spent and will never own a coach without either again.

Yes it's that good and yes MorRyde is that good to deal with. No, I don't work for MorRyde but their product and their customer support is that good that all of us tell others about them.

That Redwood does not offer it as a factory option is a disgrace.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #55

Tom, I totally agree with Vaughan, we've had IS and Disc added to a Montana, a RW 36RL, and now our RW 39MB.
The 36RL took us from Florida to Alaska, most of the West and back to Florida without any issues.
Between the three units we have logged approx 100K trouble free miles.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #56

Add us to the list

We purchased a 2016 38RL in April 2016, that summer after short trips near our home in Washington I became nervous about the weak braking on our new unit. I took the wheels off and discovered that all four were soaked in grease. This occurred at the factory or at the dealer, as I had not thought it necessary to service a new unit. In addition, the shoes on the left rear were completely worn out and the right rear were nearly as bad. I should note that this trailer had been in several shows, so I don't know how far it had been towed other than factory to west coast. I figured that any warranty claim would be rejected since I did the work myself. I resolved at that point that ,funds permitting, disc brakes were in our future. After a trip to Arizona and back the next winter I discovered that two of the "wet bolts" would not take grease and again, I took it apart to discover that though I didn't have any bent parts, it was obvious to me (welder fabricator in a past life) that I was dealing with a grossly inadequate system from the frame down. I bought new wheels and Sailun H tires and as soon as we were able, during a long planned, "bucket list trip (Sept 2019) went to Moryde and had IS and discs installed. since then we have traveled about 12000 miles to Vermont, down to Florida and to Arizona. With the exception of a short stretch crossing from La. to TX (REALLY ROUGH!) have had no issues. As others have said,"best $ we have spent, peace of mind invaluable".
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #57

We purchased our 2015 38GK in November of 2014. In July of 2015 a bolt broke which allowed an axle to shift. After Lippert said they would not cover the suspension and a call to Redwood's general manager, Redwood stepped up and covered the suspension repair.
In February of 2015 we drove to Elkhart, Indiana to have the Morryde IS installed.
We had 35 miles to go to reach Elkhart and another bolt broke. We limped into Elkhart and got the suspension replaced.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:22 PM   #58

Checking on the internet I found that Amazon offers the Ford hub caps for less than a third then Ford factory. Will try them next time I lose one.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:37 AM   #59

Thanks Carl...........i will be looking to order the correct ones...........i still have a missing one since the last rally when we were next to you.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:06 PM   #60

Currently scheduling for IS install this coming March. Angry and relieved at the same time. Still just can't believe what the RV industry can get away with when they expect these to be trailered down the road and stay together. I'm hoping I make it there with no issues again.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote