Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #81

We had ours done a few days before the rally in Elkhart last year. We had 8000# IS system with disc brakes and timken bearings installed (highly recommend better bearings), we already had disc brakes so we saved about $500 using our controller. Total cost was just under $6100 with rally pricing. We have a 36RL 2017 Redwood, it weighs about 18000# so we went with the 8000# axles.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:58 PM   #82

My '13 had 50-60k miles on it when I sold it with the original suspension. Replaced the shackles 2-3 months into ownership, that had already worn extremely, with the MorRyde heavy shackle/wet bolt kit. Replaced all 4 brake backing plates at the same time due to being full grease from the cheap a## seals used. The last year of ownership I had disc brakes installed, due to needing new brake shoes anyway, that had 5-6k miles on them when sold & I'll say that was money well spent, you could actually feel the trailer was stopping.
All this to say I would've liked to upgrade to the IS, just couldn't justify the expense, as other than those initial upgrades had no issues with the suspension.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:07 AM   #83

While we haven't suffered from any MAJOR suspension issues after almost 7 years full timing, we are ready for a second set of springs. Instead of doing that and hoping for continued good luck, we'll be joining the club and getting the MorRyde IS 8K suspension system, with disk brakes, installed in Grants Pass OR on our annual trip south on I-5 this coming October. It probably would have been a lot less expensive to do this 3-4 years ago, but I can no longer justify the potential cost of NOT doing it now. I can't see that the build quality or storage IQ has improved any during the years: if anything, it's getting much worse. Redwood, please explain why trading 2 cabinets and four drawers below the desk for a larger TV and "fireplace" would possibly benefit a full-timer. Oh, and you eliminated the 5 foot desk too. I no longer see replacing our 2014 38GK for a "better" unit in our future, so we'll continue to make upgrades to this one until we have a safe, solid home remodeled to our liking.
P.S. That oxidized tan gel coat finish which RW refused to do anything about? We're doing a custom full body repaint in Arizona in November. And it won't say "Deadwood" anywhere on the coach. I'll keep you all reposted -- good work, RW Owners forum members, and stay safe out there on the highways.
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:54 AM   #84

I heartily agree with your assessment of RW in the removal of valuable storage space. We’re not full timers, but we spend nearly 6 consecutive months in our unit and we pack accordingly. RW has also removed the rear storage plus the 3rd outside TV and additional space, I like to call, my tool box on the door side. I can handle some of the changes, but that’s one of the main reasons we, and several other RW owners we know, are not purchasing new. We do have the MorRyde IS and disc brakes. It’s more a peace of mind knowing when I hit bridge approaches, bumps and pot holes, that I’ve got a solid suspension and foundation. I do like the look of the newer models, but they do lack the very things most people who spend significant amount of time, require. I don’t know if the RW folks really get that or care.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:23 AM   #85

I couldn't agree more with both of you. We love the storage we have in our '16 39MB. We've looked at the replacements and as you say, RW has taken away half of the storage.
We're not Full Timers, but consider ourselves as "Most Timers" spending anywhere from 9 to 10 months in the RW, so we're loaded heavy.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:44 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXRAS View Post
2015 39MB purchased 2/2015. Installed the SRE 4000 in 10/2015. Broke the right rear spring in 9/2018. All springs were flat. I replaced all 4 with 4K springs, new ubolts and wet bolts.

Rick
Nice. Looked forward to a CB buddy,...’cept it’s pretty quiet. So, no dice for me. In any case had a great road trip from New Mexico to Oklahoma.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I couldn't agree more with both of you. We love the storage we have in our '16 39MB. We've looked at the replacements and as you say, RW has taken away half of the storage.
We're not Full Timers, but consider ourselves as "Most Timers" spending anywhere from 9 to 10 months in the RW, so we're loaded heavy.
That was/IS our only GRIPE with our 2020 3991RD.. I told Tim Cress that there is NO WAY a full timer could store their STUFF inside....

Other than that, Its a great camper
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:46 PM   #88

Redwood/Crossroads really need to stop calling their units Full Time Living... because they truly are not.
I am now retired for 5 years and still have my faded out 2013... "proudly" drag this thing everywhere "promoting" their gelcoat. As I have stated on here before... I have a 43 year old sailboat that is not this bad.
They painted the front cap but refused to do the back within the 2 year warranty.
Maybe I will get the IS if we ever got out of COVID Jail and can travel again but not looking good so far.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:25 PM   #89
Site Team

I’m a bit late to the party but will agree with the rest of you - I think Redwood is headed in the wrong direction. Some of the new floor plans are great, but the changes in storage, cabinets and not offering the IS is a deal killer for us. We’ve been fulltime for over three years now and there is no way we could in a new one.

I’m just about done with a major re-do in ours. All new floors, painted walls, painted some of the trim, replaced the valances, etc. Difference is amazing. Much brighter, more cheerful, and all that brown is gone. Did not do any of the cabinet woodwork, they’re still Cherry. I’ll post pictures when finished in a couple of weeks.

As others have said, until I see something that is better for us, I’ll just continue to improve on the one I have. The one unit I would like to see in person after looking at their brochure is an Alliance made by Puma. The interior pictures look good and the outside storage looks amazing.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:31 PM   #90

Quote:
Chief, while I'm not trying to defend RW, you stay you bought the unit used, so you have no idea the Original Owner did or didn't do. Very possible they made the mistake a took the unit to a Camp World for some service and we all know for the most part that is a HUGE mistake.
We had a '16 39MB and over 40K miles on it and have had few problems, but then again we had the MORryde IS and Disc Brakes installed before our unit was delivered.
The main purpose of this thread, I'm trying to show RW Management that there are many more suspension issues than they think, and push to get the MORryde System added as an option.
Good luck with you new unit.

I've asked about the MorRyde IS with Disc brake option for some time now. We had our IS bearings re-greased at MorRyde in Nov. 2020 and saw several 5th wheel units that looked generic. MorRyde said that DRV and LUXE were two of the units that installed the MorRyde suspension at their respective RV manufacturing facilities and then brought them over to have it aligned before sending them off for a paint job. Rather than me paying for the RW suspension and then having it ripped off and thrown away for no value to me, is very unfortunate for the consumer. I'm all in for the IS suspension as an option, with that said, I'm also one who wants more storage.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:43 AM   #91

Before we purchased our current '16 39MB we were looking at the Landmark 365 which did offer the MORryde as an option. So I used that as leverage against RW and was able to get them to drop our unit at MORryde for the IS before going to paint. But to my knowledge I'm the only RW owner who received my unit with the IS installed.
RW management answer is that the IS would push the price point to high, which is just plain BS, because we're only asking for it to be an option so it would only affect the price point for those of us who wanted that option, just like when RW first started Full Body Paint was an option, if you wanted it you Paid for it.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 05-25-2021, 02:18 AM   #92

Quote:
Before we purchased our current '16 39MB we were looking at the Landmark 365 which did offer the MORryde as an option. So I used that as leverage against RW and was able to get them to drop our unit at MORryde for the IS before going to paint. But to my knowledge I'm the only RW owner who received my unit with the IS installed.
RW management answer is that the IS would push the price point to high, which is just plain BS, because we're only asking for it to be an option so it would only affect the price point for those of us who wanted that option, just like when RW first started Full Body Paint was an option, if you wanted it you Paid for it.

Back when I purchased my 2016 I had a plant tour with Tim Cress and Joe or Jim Lazzerino ?? I asked about everything Morryde and was told a few different answers...

1 was that Jason Lippert and Redwood's management at the tie were close, kids were friends as well. They didn't want to go against the whole Lippert Fit & whatever they called the complete Lippert system back in the day.

I explained that WE ( owners ) would love to have the option to add that during the build.. When I picked up my 2020 I was at least happy to see that they were now using the MORryde pinbox, MORryde SRE 4000 and MORryde steps.
Old 05-28-2021, 02:01 AM   #93

4000 pound leaf replacements

Hi,

I have a 2014 GK38 that has been sitting in storage account not able to retire due to a divorce. Back in 2017 I broke 2 springs and replaced them all with new 3500# ones. Has anyone ever replace the 3500# with 4000# springs? If so where did you get them? I have healed my debt from the divorce and hoping to retire January 2022 thus finally getting to travel the way I had planned before the big nightmare. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can get this rig ready to roll safe. I am on a fixed income and need to get this done as reasonable as possible.

Thanks,
Tom

HDT 1999 Volvo VNL610 12.7 Detroit 10 Spd Eaton Manual trans. 430 HP, 1500 pounds of torque,
"The Beast" (retired) 2003 Dodge 3500
2014 RW 38GK14, solar panels with MPPT controller, Progressive surge guard, 2 group 31 AGM batteries, Morryde SLR4000, Titan disc brakes,
Tom's38GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:22 AM   #94

performance trailer braking / Got springs, tires and brake system thru them. Very knowledgeable.

2007.5 Chev Dually, B&W Companion, RDS 50 Gal. Transfer Tank
2012 36RL, Titan Disc Brakes, Upgraded Springs, MORryde wet bolts, MORryde Crossmember, Sailun Tires
jrlsburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:34 AM   #95

i HAVE A 2015 39mb. two years ago my front axle spring hangers broke on the RV. At a dealer for 1 mo to get parts. Now June 29th 2021, traveling from Ky to Mo the rear axle broke loose with the hangers again breaking. I was stranded between Winona Mo and van buren Mo. 7 hrs stranded in 100 degree heat. Lucky that we found a couple guys who came out and temporarily welded the rear hangers and now we are waiting to get all the hangers replaced along with the stabilizer balancer.
joebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:58 AM   #96

Those type of problems why we had the MORryde IS installed on our 39MB before it was shipped to the dealer. 50K miles on it now and not a single suspension problem.
And why at every RW Rally the question was asked of management "Why not offer the MORryde IS as an option?"
Old 07-10-2021, 05:31 AM   #97
Site Team

Same here. Ours had its buggy springs torched off and trashed at 6 months old. Now eight years and almost 50k no issue miles. Plus a much better ride and handling.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:57 AM   #98

YUP.... another IS swap here.. MAINLY to give myself a piece of mind and eliminate the chances of that happening... And the ride.... Oh the ride ! ! ! soooooooo much better with the IS......

My wife is the original penny pincher..... when she tells me "We will never own another fifth wheel without the IS" thats saying something...
Old 08-08-2021, 06:19 PM   #99

Just found the top leaf broken on the curb side rear spring. Will replace all the springs if I can find them. Can anyone tell me if the front spry are the same length as the rear springs? Part numbers, size, u-bolt sizes, etc? Anything will help. We are near Nashville. Suggestions where to buy?
Thanks
Ken Allen
2013 36 RE
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:29 PM   #100

performance trailer braking / Got springs, u-bolts, tires and brake system thru them. Very knowledgeable.

2007.5 Chev Dually, B&W Companion, RDS 50 Gal. Transfer Tank
2012 36RL, Titan Disc Brakes, Upgraded Springs, MORryde wet bolts, MORryde Crossmember, Sailun Tires
jrlsburns is offline   Reply With Quote