Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

Angry Structural Roof Issues

Has anyone experienced roof issues? I mean structural separation of decking panels from roof trusses? I discovered 4 locations on my 38RL during a routine 6 month roof cleaning and inspection after a summer in the Pacific NW. The defect was not evident in June when the last inspection was performed.

The roof membrane is intact so we have no leaks yet, but a panel is not connected to the supporting truss and sticks up about an inch until you step on it.

The trailer is in for repairs, but this really has me concerned about hidden defects either in engineering or construction. This fifth-wheel is less than 2 years old and has about 6K miles on it.

This trailer spent six of the first nine months of our ownership and was eventually transported to IN by Crossroads to remedy flaws/defects that ExploreUSA was simply unable or unwilling to repair.
aparton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #2

Sounds to me like RW/Crossroads should yank Explorers contract, but they are about the only dealer in north central Texas. They sure sell a lot, too bad they can't fix any of them.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:46 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparton View Post
Has anyone experienced roof issues? I mean structural separation of decking panels from roof trusses? I discovered 4 locations on my 38RL during a routine 6 month roof cleaning and inspection after a summer in the Pacific NW. The defect was not evident in June when the last inspection was performed.

The roof membrane is intact so we have no leaks yet, but a panel is not connected to the supporting truss and sticks up about an inch until you step on it.

The trailer is in for repairs, but this really has me concerned about hidden defects either in engineering or construction. This fifth-wheel is less than 2 years old and has about 6K miles on it.

This trailer spent six of the first nine months of our ownership and was eventually transported to IN by Crossroads to remedy flaws/defects that ExploreUSA was simply unable or unwilling to repair.
You're not the first one to have this problem but thankfully there's not a rash of them either. I can't remember which member it was but they had the roof separate from the nose. I'd be burning up the phone lines to the factory (politely) and hopefully they will help you. This should fall under the 5 year structural warranty that the new Redwoods don't have. I can't think of a way that you could have contributed to this problem if the roof membrane is still intact.

Good Luck
Old 10-21-2015, 12:51 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I think it may have happened because the ran out of screws. They were all in my belly pans and behind the basement wall
Old 10-21-2015, 01:13 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
I think it may have happened because the ran out of screws. They were all in my belly pans and behind the basement wall

Maybe that's why these trailers weigh so much........look at all the extra screws and saw dust.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:24 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Dave
I have had numerous new houses built and they really didn't like me when I made them get out the shop vac during construction
Old 10-21-2015, 01:39 AM   #7
Site Team

I understand.....Everyone who works around my office knows I have 3 hot buttons:

#1 laziness, if you drop it...pick it up, if you make a mess....clean it up

#2 Limitations.......they're sell imposed by those that are weak in the head or back.

#3 Don't ask me to help you until you're willing to help yourself.....but if I help....I'm all in.