Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #1

Storage Puzzler

We have a 2016 38RLS with the residential frig. I know I want to leave the frig doors open when storing. But when we shut everything down, meaning disconnect from shore power and turn the battery disconnect to off, the refrigerator lights are still on. What am I missing?
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #2

Simple, you need to turn off the Inverter because the Inverter is Hard Wired to the batteries. But unless you pull a battery cable you will still run the batteries down if in storage for more than a few days.
Most pull the negative cable from the battery/ies, but if like ours the Inverter would still be getting power since it's hard wired.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #3

Well, it's simple, but it doesn't make sense. What does the battery disconnect switch do if it doesn't prevent power from the batteries?
Old 06-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
Well, it's simple, but it doesn't make sense. What does the battery disconnect switch do if it doesn't prevent power from the batteries?
For safety reasons the disconnect does not disconnect some 12 volt items, such as the CO/LP detector. In some cases, never tried on our RW, the electric slide motors such as your bedroom slide, if not powered the motors are in neutral & can move if the RV tilts.
As Michelle stated removing the negative cable that goes to ground will take care of everything except maybe the inverter, which I didn't have so am not sure.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #5

Some of the newer unit have a Battery Disconnect in the line to the inverter, not sure about your RW, I just know that the positive cable on ours goes thru 150 amp fuse then directly to the inverter.
Doesn't bother us as it always plugged in except during travel or if we have to overnite without power.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #6

smart woman right here!!!!
Thanks ladies for all your input.

Rhonell
ricknnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #7

I just re-wired my disconnect switch to turn everything off. Can't really explain how because I did it years ago right after I found batteries dead with the switch off. It is a fact the co and propane detectors are still powered, probably true it is a legal thing, but I won't sue myself, so now I turn everything off with the switch. I just stared at the wiring and figured out which wire I had to move, I remember it was pretty simple.
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #8

Rob and Kathy,
Thanks. Your suggestion is the winner, as I won't sue myself either.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:35 PM   #9

When we bought our Sequoia, we were told it was best for both the rest fridge to leave them powered up.
When we stored our rig in a RV storage lot we made sure we had at least 110v power available.
We kept the fridge cold with 110v and a extension cord. Cost us less than $10 a month
When we bought our retirement house we built our own metal rv covering, and wired a 50amp plug to the bldg and we keep air cond (80*) and fridge on full time.
This cuts way down on maint, and is less than $20 a month.
I was skeptical at first, but now am a believer
Steve Rees
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 Durimax Diesel/w. Allison transmission
Pullrite Slider Hitch
steve & darlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:36 PM   #10

I meant both air conditioner and residential fridge
Sorry
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 Durimax Diesel/w. Allison transmission
Pullrite Slider Hitch
steve & darlene is offline   Reply With Quote