Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Site Team

Stay with Frigidaire or go to another brand ?

We've got the Frigidaire microwave / convection oven like most of you do. Ever since new (10//13) it has never seemed to get hot enough. We've had it checked at the Service Center at Redwood and all checked ok. The exhaust vent is clear and working well.
Just the unit itself seems to take forever to heat either microwave or convection,

I'm wondering if any of you have the same issues ? Thinking of replacing it but not sure with what brand. I looked at the specs for the Frigidaire and they are pretty much the same as LG or Whirlpool for power.

I'm also open to suggestions as to how to test it to see if it does have a problem. Mine is not involved in the recall batch.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #2

Same issue here.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:15 AM   #3
S&K

Hmmm... will have to check this out. I don't think our unit was in the recall range.

What are you experiencing? The microwave part makes no sense. Either you get the full power, or something is wrong. Wouldn't that be a electrical issue?

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #4

The issue with microwave in the RW is that it takes 1 min. to adequately reheat my coffee vs. 30 sec. on my home microwave.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:18 AM   #5
S&K

I'll check out my wattage on my home micro and compare it to the RW and see if there is any difference. Then, do a test with heating water.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:42 AM   #6
Dan

We have the Whirlpool, love it

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:10 AM   #7
Site Team

Titan, that would describe mine well too. Acts like it's running on half power compare to my home one.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #8

We have the Frigidaire micro/convection oven made in 12/13. It is part of the residential package.
According to the internet, our model number is rated at 1500 watts.
It does a great job cooking or heating in the microwave.
Compare the ratings of your two units. There may be enough difference in their ratings to notice the difference in heating times.
Gegallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #9

All
I found the following information via the internet to determine and test the microwave for proper heating.
If you know the wattage, the temp rise should determine if the output of your microwave is adequate.

Procedure Using Fahrenheit Thermometer:

Pour exactly 1000 milliliters (mL) of cool tap water into a microwave-safe container. Using the thermometer, stir the water for about 10 seconds, then measure and record the temperature. For accurate results the initial water temperature should be between 60 degrees F (15.6 degrees C) and 80 degrees F (26.7 C).
Place the container on the center of the oven cooking shelf. DO NOT leave the thermometer in the container. The cooking shelf (tray) or turntable must be in place and any metal racks must be removed.
Heat the water for 33 seconds at full power. Use an accurate digital timer or stop watch if the oven has a mechanical timer.
After the heating time is completed, immediately remove the container, stir the water for about 10 seconds, re-measure and record the temperature of the heated water.
Subtract the starting water temperature (step 1) from the ending water temperature (step 4) to obtain the temperature rise.
To determine the output power in watts, multiply the total temperature rise by a factor of 100.
Example:
Starting temperature (T1) = 60 deg F
Ending temperature (T2) = 72 deg F
Subtract T1 from T2: 72 - 60 = 12 (temperature rise)
Multiply temperature rise by 100: 12 x 100 = 1200 watts
The test may be repeated to insure accuracy
Gegallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #10

We have only been in our RV 3 weeks and we have the Frigidare mic/ oven and it take way to long to cook the same things we where cooking befor with just the mic, and gas oven. I do not like this new version.

Alan & Debbie Cheney
2011 DENALI HD 1 TON
2013 40KB LIMITED
40KB LIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #11

Will need to check our convection m/w out next trip...

I'm guessing ours in the recall range as it was built 7-13 and delivered 8-13...

But, since the wife says most of the kitchen is 'decorative' only, hasn't really been used that much - if at all
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
Site Team

Just make sure you remember to open the outside exhaust fan cover. That makes a huge difference in the convection as it has to have good air flow.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #13

I'm hoping Dory knows how to turn it on I still make my coffee with a sock in the enamel pot on the campfire cause I can't figure all that stuff out.

We will have to give it a full workout over Mothers Day.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
We've got the Frigidaire microwave / convection oven like most of you do. Ever since new (10//13) it has never seemed to get hot enough. We've had it checked at the Service Center at Redwood and all checked ok. The exhaust vent is clear and working well.
Just the unit itself seems to take forever to heat either microwave or convection,

I'm wondering if any of you have the same issues ? Thinking of replacing it but not sure with what brand. I looked at the specs for the Frigidaire and they are pretty much the same as LG or Whirlpool for power.

I'm also open to suggestions as to how to test it to see if it does have a problem. Mine is not involved in the recall batch.
Vaughn,

We have the standard Frigidaire microwave (not the convection oven type). It definitely does not have as much power as our home unit which is a GE Profile Spacemaker 2.0. I think the Frigidaire is a standard size physically so the only concern in replacing the Frigidaire is matching the new unit's exhaust vent opening to what is currently there. I don't know if that is standardized on microwaves.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post

Vaughan,

We had exactly the same problem in that the convection oven wouldn't come up to temperature. I left the coach with the dealer before we left at the end of March. The dealer contacted Frigidaire to find a local service agent, but basically got the run around from them.

They eventually found a company just outside Vancouver who will service Frigidaire equipment. I had to agree to pay for the service call in the event nothing was wrong. Turned out the thermostat was defective and parts are currently on order. The repair cost and service call is being covered.

Will test it out when we get back home early July.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote